Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:49 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,852 times

Advertisements

The trip wasn't as bad as the reputation that Greyhound has. I needed to visit my ailing mom in the hospital and didn't want to drive. So, since my wife and kids couldn't come because of weekend activities, and I wasn't going to pay the outrageous flight cost I decided to go Greyhound.

The trip took 5 hrs and 45 min and was efficient. Yes, there was stops (4) but even they stuck to schedule and took 10-15 minutes at each station. So not bad in that regard. (Overall trip was Atlanta to Thomasville, GA-- they live in northern Tallahassee)

Yes, there was a few rough people but I'm a believer if you don't look for trouble, be friendly, things will work out. The driver actually told some young kids (maybe 18 years old or so) to keep the noise down as they were talking too loud. So, props to the driver-- he did a good job.

Overall, I'd say I wouldn't do this wife my wife and kids (overheard language wasn't the best, and frankly Greyhounds are not in the best areas of town, etc) but I would consider it again alone sometime.

I'm weird I love public transit as I can rest, read, and do other things..

Its interesting the feedback I hear from folks on the internet is: 1)They would never again do a bus trip again 2) they barely escaped with their life after the trip

I think a lot has to do of what you are expecting and not being afraid of every little thing. I'm sure the bus can be tough sometimes but for me it wasn't that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 02:58 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I've taken the bus between Boston and NYC dozens of time without incident.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:30 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I'm glad your trip went well. I prefer public transport. I've noticed in the 2 years I've lived in the southeast. Some people have no problem looking down their nose at transit riders. Ive heard some very ignorant comments, concerning riding a bus Serve them right if gas jumped up to $5.00 a gallon. Forcing them to ride transit or Greyhound. If Greyhound was considerably cheaper than other modes of travel. I'd certainly take it.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:36 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Thanks for posting. Have taken Greyhound buses several times in many parts of the country, always without incident. The buses can be hit or miss on cleanliness, the clientele and stations can be a little scruffy (though nothing I can't handle), and their on-time rate is usually good compared to Amtrak. The price is usually as cheap as you can get for long distance travel. Not ideal perhaps, but it'll do well enough.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
I recently took a Greyhound trip. No problems at all. I'm not a snob and I don't mind being around all types of people.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:09 PM

636 posts, read 392,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
I think a lot has to do of what you are expecting and not being afraid of every little thing. I'm sure the bus can be tough sometimes but for me it wasn't that bad.
Yep

Old 02-03-2017, 10:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
The last time I took Greyhound was for just a day trip in northern CA. I'd sold my car in a town about 5 hours away, and took Greyhound back home.

The bus was pretty much on time. It was not even half full. My experience was that any sketchy types sit in the back of the bus. This is also where the dirty, stinky toilet was.

Other than the toilet being the down side of the trip (even the sketchy guys at the back of the bus were respectful to me, as a grey-haired old lady), sitting up front by the driver was great. No smells and no foul language.

So, that is my advice - sit up front.

And because most riders like the back of the bus, the seats up front were in much better condition, too.

Some of the Greyhound bus stations are absolutely appalling. If you have the choice between the bathroom on the bus and the bus station, it would appear the bus is normally the better option - even though it's gross, too.

If there had been an Amtrak train, I'd have taken that instead, even for more money, as the ride is cleaner and just more pleasant overall. Greyhound will get you there, but I'd rather avoid it in the future whenever possible.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I recently took a Greyhound trip. No problems at all. I'm not a snob and I don't mind being around all types of people.
I have no problem taking the bus, though I probably wouldn't do for a cross country trip. But I've had terrible experiences with Greyhound (fights breaking out, unreasonably loud talking, etc.). I normally stick with Megabus or Shortline.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:07 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Being towards the front of the bus is often a good choice, and is often my choice if I can get it. But I have sat successfully at the back when needed.

Bus and bus station bathrooms are often pretty grotty, agreed. But that's frequently the case with train, train station, and airplane bathrooms also. Best option in my experience is to make sure you go at the hotel or at home beforehand and take it easy on the drinks during the trip -- works for me.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:16 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've taken the bus between Boston and NYC dozens of time without incident.
Plenty of people in NYC don't own cars and therefore in the Northeast taking intercity buses are very common from people from all walks of life. I too have taking many trips between NYC and Hartford without incident on the Peter Pan Buses which became part of Greyhound some years ago.

I have also taken Greyhound back and fore between the East and West Coasts of Florida (Ft. Lauderdale-Ft. Myers) and once I took Greyhound from Los Angeles up to Oakland, CA. All of these were without incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel