Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:05 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here is the way I see it. Being afraid of a metal cigar, flying through the air, is NORMAL. But being a rational person who can think, I make the choice to fly places, because I know that, statistically it is very safe, and it PROBABLY will not crash. If it does....we all have to die of something.

Remember, the pilots want to live just as much as you do.
I don't really worry about the safety, at least on the conscious level.

What bothers me most is the loss of altitude when the turbulence is bad. I don't do roller roaster for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 02:37 PM

412 posts, read 509,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Whitney Houston

Drug and alcohol do not mix.
Just because they found bottles of Xanax in her room doesn't mean she died from Xanax + Alcohol.

It is true they are both depressants and in huge amounts they may make your breathing and/or heart stop. However, you need a **** ton of both to achieve this. I would say about 100 pills of Xanax + a full bottle of Alcohol. Taking a couple of Xanax with a drink or two is completely safe.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:16 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
I flew to Chicago earlier this month, the last time I flew was summer 2012 when a friend and I went to Las Vegas. I always hated takeoff, and I experienced a bad turbulence in Spring 2008 during a flight to Washington D.C.

The flights to Chciago were good, I felt good about myself, I love landing for some reason. But hate takeoffs.

I also always ask the pilots whether we will have turbulence, many are kind enough to show on their screen. Plus meeting he pilots personalizes the experience.

Now I can't wait to fly again, I plan on visiting Vancouver, Canada and later Mexico City, Mexico. Heck if everything goes well I may take a long international flight to Iran, with a stop in Dubai.

One has to fly once a year or more to get used to it. If you don't fly for years, then it will seem scary. Like you I feared having a panic attack or worse, rather the plane actually crashing. I read most hose who really fear flying actually fear have a meltdown while in the air, rather than a crash.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
2 doubles (top shelf stuff & tonic) before boarding. Actually, I'm not afraid of flying, but I just can't stand all the hassles.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:59 PM

28 posts, read 17,310 times
I am also great phobic of flying.. but I never tried how to cope up with the fear of flying..after seeing your experience in this..i am thinking that I should also do some kind of things to get rid of this fear..I have seen the videos of Xanax but i think untill you did not try your own you can not cope up with the fear..

Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
I don't like to think about it, I just try to pretend I am just in a room or in a theater. I just will not think about it. Read a book, watch a movie. I also have problems with my ears, they are so sensitive. It is so painful when my ears have that pressure. I remember taking my first plane ride to Disneyland and I wasn't even scared but as you get older you become apprehensive about flying. An airplane just takes me from point A to B, a necessity.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:41 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
A stiff drink in the airport lounge. I stay away from xanax or other anti-meds because I worry about mixing drugs and alcohol.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrawan_pandey View Post
I am also great phobic of flying.. but I never tried how to cope up with the fear of flying..after seeing your experience in this..i am thinking that I should also do some kind of things to get rid of this fear..I have seen the videos of Xanax but i think untill you did not try your own you can not cope up with the fear..
Taking medication is only a temporary fix. Mort importantly, Xanax only prevents panic attacks and some physical signs of anxiety like heart pounding, stiff muscles, etc. The fear doesn't easily go away with Xanax or other benzos.

If you want to conquer flight anxiety, you have to fly without drugs. Sometimes, the desensitization helps.

Personally I only fly when I have to, which means, I only need to fly a few times per year. That's why I'm content with taking meds.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:38 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Taking medication is only a temporary fix. Mort importantly, Xanax only prevents panic attacks and some physical signs of anxiety like heart pounding, stiff muscles, etc. The fear doesn't easily go away with Xanax or other benzos.

If you want to conquer flight anxiety, you have to fly without drugs. Sometimes, the desensitization helps.

Personally I only fly when I have to, which means, I only need to fly a few times per year. That's why I'm content with taking meds.
I disagree. I think Xanax can definitely help. It doesn't solve the problem by itself, but it's a great tool. By eliminating the physical symptoms (which can often be the most horrific and consuming part of a panic attack), you are better able to focus your attention on your breathing and trying to overcome the irrational thoughts. Without meds, you're tensed up and feel like your heart is pounding out of your chest and your head is going to explode, you have very little chance to control breathing and logical, rational thinking.

I travel frequently, and used to need xanax before every takeoff and again before every landing. By doing so, I was able to listen to guided breathing and meditation recordings, and gradually became more and more relaxed and comfortable with flying. I've weaned myself off of most of the xanax, though I do keep it on hand if I know it's going to be a particularly turbulent flight or if I'm already anxious about other things.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I disagree. I think Xanax can definitely help. It doesn't solve the problem by itself, but it's a great tool. By eliminating the physical symptoms (which can often be the most horrific and consuming part of a panic attack), you are better able to focus your attention on your breathing and trying to overcome the irrational thoughts. Without meds, you're tensed up and feel like your heart is pounding out of your chest and your head is going to explode, you have very little chance to control breathing and logical, rational thinking.

I travel frequently, and used to need xanax before every takeoff and again before every landing. By doing so, I was able to listen to guided breathing and meditation recordings, and gradually became more and more relaxed and comfortable with flying. I've weaned myself off of most of the xanax, though I do keep it on hand if I know it's going to be a particularly turbulent flight or if I'm already anxious about other things.
Xanax definitely help, but the fear doesn't automatically go away completely.

I guess there are many types of fears during flight, each individual is different.

How much is your dosage? Do you do re-dose? I've heard that some people take enough Xanax to black out.

I haven't flown for almost two years to the point that I don't quite remember my flight experience with Xanax. When I took a lot of Xanax on a long-haul flight, I couldn't recall my flight experience two days later. It wasn't a black out, but it just escaped my memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel