Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses! I've decided to move forward with my plans for New Orleans. Booked my trip this morning, in fact. I love some of the other suggestions though, and will consider them for other trips. I have always want to go to Charleston and Savannah as well, so maybe next Fall.
Stay in the French Quarter in New Orleans. I went during the French Quarter festival some years ago. Make sure you enjoy some of that unique food down there. Also, check out the Garden District.

Head to the Cafe Du Monde for some beignets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
HOLY FRIJOLE! I'm glad at least one person mentioned Memphis. Listen, OP, you're going to the Big Easy this time but you're missing out on the ONLY reason to go to Memphis.

MEMPHIS IN MAY. It's a month long festival. International (like world-wide) BBQ Festival, Kick-butt Music festival, Sunset Symphony, every year. Great destination. Plus you'll be surrounded by awesome people. Fun!

Old 03-17-2017, 10:35 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
I recommend you go a little east or downriver from the French Quarter to Frenchman Street. The river cruises are nice, especially if the day is hot. We have been there twice, once in May and this year in January.

But most of all enjoy yourself.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:45 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Greenville, SC Music downtown just started, beautiful DT, lots of restaurants, a waterfall and park DT baseball field on the West End

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...ea-videos.html

See the thread from above for some great area videos, especially the drones flying over GVL

Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,867 times
As well as the other European cities mentioned, would you consider Dublin? If you can get a great ticket price, Dublin is a fantastic city, especially for wandering and traveling solo.
(Not just saying that because a few hours ago it was St Patricks Day!)

Denver or Boulder might be other good options?

Last edited by Dimsummum; 03-17-2017 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Adding on to previous comments

Old 03-18-2017, 12:05 AM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
walking in Los Angeles?
Sure. I do. The stereotype is false.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:53 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
New Orleans, hotel within the Quarter. No shortage of food and visuals. More to absorb than you could on ten visits.
Shuttle to the Honey Island Swamp Tour available from French Quarter.

Seattle, hotel boundaries: Virginia/5th/Union. So much to do. You could spend a week checking off things to see.
Don't let anyone talk you out of seeing the Chihuly Glass Works.

Bar Harbor (Maine of course), B&Bs along Mt. Desert toward Main. No fast food or chains here!

All wonderful during tour date window.

I give extra points to Bar Harbor. It's a place thats not usually on the common list of places to go, but once you've been you'll be glad you did. Maine is one of the most beautiful places in America.

Have fun!

Old 03-18-2017, 07:19 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
San Francisco would work
San Antonio TX or Austin or both since they are just couple of hours apart

Old 03-18-2017, 08:52 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
St. Augustine. Lots to see, lots to do, can walk to marina for eco boat rides/dolphin seeing, beaches are a VERY short taxi (5 min) away.

It's a great cities for everyone, stuff for singles, romance and families. Historical, artsy, and nature all at once. And great food (Gypsy Cab is amazing. place looks dumpy but the food is excellent)

Old 03-18-2017, 09:06 AM

738 posts, read 585,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Sure. I do. The stereotype is false.

I took the bus to Hollywood, when I was there on business. I look out the window: it's the LaBrea Tarpits! Ding, ding, let me off!

I saw this drawing as a kid with a saber toothed tiger howling in rage as the tar sucked him down. The petroleum just oozes out of the ground there. What a trip. The culmination of a 25 year old vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel