Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I live in Kuwait but have to go back to California for 4 days for daughters graduation. Will be leaving 3 am Thursday on KLM and arrive in SFO at 1145am Thursday. Leave Sunday afternoon in 445pm arrive Amsterdam 1230 pm 2 hour layover then 6 hours to Kuwait arriving 9 pm Monday.the thought of jet lag times 2 (10hour time difference) is daunting. But I did upgrade to KLM economy comfort class sfo to Amsterdam.

Has anyone done such a long trip in a short period of time. How did you cope? New York to London in comparison 5 hour difference looks like a short subway ride!
You are heading westbound, so you will be fine. Stay awake and enjoy the fun! You will get a LOT of sleep when you return home

I commute west coast to Singapore / Thailand (for 25 yrs). It is no longer an issue either way, but I sleep a lot on the plane, and always get on destination schedule immediately. (Cattle car class) No more upper deck 747-100's That was sweet! 5 rows of seats, quiet, BIG storage bin to stretch out your legs. Kids could nap / play in 'crew-qtrs'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 12:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I have never had jet lag. I used to work for the US Navy and I learned to sleep on planes. Good skill to have.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:38 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Was just wondering what people do to minimize effects of jet lag (perhaps even not sleeping as much night before so that you feel tired enough to drift off on a plane? Our flight schedule is as follows.

We have a mid morning flight taking us from Orlando to Boston. Then a short layover and then a decent flight (4-5 hrs) to Reykjavik which we arrive to at like 11:40 (7:40 pm) EST, then another short layover, and about a 3-4 hr trip to Copenhagen. I think excitement of being in Europe will keep us going for a while, but how else would you recommend approaching a trip schedule like this as to be untitled as possible? General suggestions for sleeping on a plane (that don't involve flying first class) would be appreciated : )
I take a dayflight. The best ones leave East Coast at 12pm and get in at 11pm.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:36 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Mask and earplugs. Get a seat by the window (that way you don't have to be woken up and keep getting out of your seat to let other people get out to use the washroom). Try melatonin over-the-counter supplements, I haven't used them myself, but they do help some people.

Heathrow has a pretty good video about beating jet lag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_dzXLEvqQU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel