Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,671,323 times

Advertisements

1. family size (i.e. couple with three children)

Couple with child in school. So the airfares are expensive since we can only travel during summer or winter school vacations.

2. how many vacations you go on ( i.e. 1 weeklong, and 2 long weekends)

One summer and one winter vacation, usually overseas.

3. type of vacations you go on (i.e. cruises, all inclusive, camping, international, etc.)

No cruise or all inclusive. Find those boring. No lying on a beach like a walrus either. Usually cultural or natural beauty internationally.

4. if you are a budget (i.e. carnival line inside room, cook own food during trip, or motel 6) ,moderate (i.e. Royal Caribbean with porthole, eat all dinners out, or Marriott hotel),high end vacationer (i.e. Celebrity cruise with balcony, eat all meals out, or Four Seasons).

Moderate. Stay at Hilton / Marriott - have points. Or local hotels. Europe is expensive in this respect. Last year we spent $10K per person in summer (30K) and $7K per person in winter (21K). Total $51K. Airfare was our biggest expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,532,257 times
Wow, I thought this was going to be an interesting forum but, this is out of my league. We spend maybe $2K-$3K per year and that's a lot to us. Pretty much a weekend getaway budget to most of you guys. Sorry, can't help you OP.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:56 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,932,107 times
We sometimes travel lightly throughout the year, but basically take 1 big family vacation before school begins.

1. Family of 4 (2 boys 13 & 3 y/o)
2. 1 big week long cruise
3. Since we do not fly, we always leave from our home port of NYC which is more expensive and we leave during the most popular times.
4. $5,000 is our maximum budget on vacation cost. We sail Carnival since they always have a cruise during our vacation weeks and always seem to be cheaper than other cruise lines. We only book a balcony room.

We have a fun little coin jar that we use. We empty our pockets wallets regularly, all loose change goes into the jar. We use this for on board credit. It usually amounts in $200 when we cash it in!

Old 04-26-2017, 03:03 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,483,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
For those of you comfortable answering...
What do you spend on average per year on vacations?

Please include:
3. type of vacations you go on (i.e. cruises, all inclusive, camping, international, etc.)
4. if you are a budget (i.e. carnival line inside room, cook own food during trip, or motel 6) ,
moderate (i.e. Royal Caribbean with porthole, eat all dinners out, or Marriott hotel),
high end vacationer (i.e. Celebrity cruise with balcony, eat all meals out, or Four Seasons)

Thanks

TWO scenarios:

ONE-A
1- by myself
2- roughly average 1 a month? As few as 7 every 12 months?
3- hikes, conventions, and sight seeing
4- I always try to save as much money as possible
I bring canned food, snack bars, and my own water in case there isn't a decent selection of food, food that's cheap, or food that has me waiting in long ridiculous lines
Otherwise, I do plan to spend about $8 to $15 per meal, as trying outside food is part of my vacation, in addition to the destination and people I meet
Hotels... I shoot to spend $60 to $120 per night, depending on the area I'm visiting. I'm a bit concerned about motels and hotels that are TOO cheap, as I've had to deal with roaches, bed bugs, and sharing rooms and bathrooms with complete strangers just isn't for me.

ONE-B
1- by myself
2- once or twice a year
3- visiting family
4- I do pay $25 for checking in luggage. Else, whatever else THEY have planned, which leads us to.....

TWO
1- whole family and extended family... up to 7 people
2- 0 to twice per year
3- cruises, road trips to surrounding countries, states, etc.
4- We try to save here as well, like getting a BnB and having all of us live in it instead of a hotel. Then buying food from local supermarkets and cooking instead of eating out.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:11 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,317,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Wow, I thought this was going to be an interesting forum but, this is out of my league. We spend maybe $2K-$3K per year and that's a lot to us. Pretty much a weekend getaway budget to most of you guys. Sorry, can't help you OP.
Nah.. I'm a cheap bastard.

I'm single, but for the past 6 years, I drag one of my nephews on a summer vacation.. And I take both plus their parents to Great Wolf Lodge for 2 nights at Christmas.

GWL, I get 2 rooms to fit 8 people, and allow them to invite up to 3 extra people. Usually runs about $1000 for the rooms (Plus waterpark, etc, etc) then.. I spend probably another $500 on meals and the like. so.. $1500 for 8 people.. I think that's a fine deal.

The past several years.. Me and one of them went to Vegas.. About $800 for flight and hotel (from Atlanta).. we didn't stay at anywhere high-end.. We stayed at Excalibur.. Probably spent $1000-$1500 there on shows and all.. So.. $2500-ish.

This year, i'm taking them all, parents included to DC for a week. I've rented a house for $1400 for the week.. Which, I could have gotten 2 hotel rooms a tad cheaper, but the house is nicer and in a more central area. I could have gotten two fleabags for $800, but..

I figure if I spend $2000 on food and transportation and the like that'll be alot. Most things in DC don't cost anything to see. Now, I have plans for things that do cost.. I love the Monuments at Night tours.. Best way to see some of them like Iwo Jima and simpler to get over to the Jefferson memorial that way. Plan to take a day and go out to Luray, so, entrance fees for the caverns and all.. But.. Yeah.. I go cheap, but still get alot done.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,612,466 times
Quote:
Travel costs have gone up a lot in recent years in my experience. Ten years ago my average bid for hotel on priceline was $40 dollars, even in expensive markets, and that usually netted me a nice 3 star property with good reviews. Nowadays, I'm lucky to get the same properties for $100 on express deals and some markets (like the Bay Area) I don't even bother with anymore. Ten years ago my average three week international trip budget was $3k, and used to have a great time on that budget. Today wouldn't even consider taking a three week trip with less than $6k. Airfares haven't gone up much, if at all, but it seems like everything else has.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,129,032 times
$1000 a month. At least one weekend a month somewhere, either Sarasota or South Beach. Weeklong fishing trip to the keys. Long weekend on a friends yacht to Bimini.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:33 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,671,323 times
Quote:
Airfares have skyrocketed in the past 10 years and there are almost no deals or low fares during the summer or winter break. Ticket to Africa in August was $2050 and to India was $2000 in winter. That ate up 1/3 of our budget. Safari for 10 days and a 3 day stay in Mombassa costs $7500. India has become expensive recently.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:11 PM

382 posts, read 367,126 times
Quote:
Remember that you are looking at a very select audience. I think many families spend just a couple thousand per year on vacation or even less. Traveling can be expensive or affordable. I didn't travel most of my adult life until a couple years ago.

This thread wasn't designed for people to try to one up others or to brag. I just wanted to know in general what people spend, where they go, and how they budget their money. Traveling is so individualized.

I used to post on a wedding forum where people spent like $20 to 40,000 on their wedding. I spent under $4,000 on mine for everything including rings. I felt like I had just as memorable of an experience as others with expensive weddings. The same can be true with traveling.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:37 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,016,606 times
What do you spend on average per year on vacations?

--My work allows me to travel so I don't actually spend much out of pocket. They will pay my airfare to/from another office, my hotel for the time I'm working, and I get a per diem that's pretty high. I couple my leisure travel with my work travel by extending a week or so and paying the hotel for that extra week. Our offices are all over the world, so it's pretty convenient.

Please include:
--just me

--usually a week or so, maybe 3-4

--international mostly

4. if you are a budget (i.e. carnival line inside room, cook own food during trip, or motel 6) ,
moderate (i.e. Royal Caribbean with porthole, eat all dinners out, or Marriott hotel),
high end vacationer (i.e. Celebrity cruise with balcony, eat all meals out, or Four Seasons)
--moderate (hyatt, hilton)
--I don't eat much when I travel, maybe once a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel