Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im used to Quality Inn's, Drury Inn, and Best Western, Holiday Inn free breakfast. Its weird, that 2-3 star hotels can give you free eggs, toast, bagel, oatmeal, waffle, cereal, fruits, and 4-5 start hotels give you nothing or you have to pay $15-25 dollars for breakfast at heir restaurant.
Keeping in mind I usually am one that looks for the midscale hotel that includes breakfast in the rate (and I prefer Hampton being a Hilton guy, but a side point), a few points...

All the chains you mentioned are not offering truly "free" breakfast, it's just included in the room rate you pay.

The breakfast they offer, while usually very palatable and convenient, isn't (usually) the same level as the full service hotels. It's a buffet and usually prepackaged food. The full service restaurants are usually offering a server, made to order, actual china and silverware versus paper plates and plastic. It's not the same breakfast...

Now, whether it's worth the price they're asking? That's another question...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 06:31 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Keeping in mind I usually am one that looks for the midscale hotel that includes breakfast in the rate (and I prefer Hampton being a Hilton guy, but a side point), a few points...

All the chains you mentioned are not offering truly "free" breakfast, it's just included in the room rate you pay.

The breakfast they offer, while usually very palatable and convenient, isn't (usually) the same level as the full service hotels. It's a buffet and usually prepackaged food. The full service restaurants are usually offering a server, made to order, actual china and silverware versus paper plates and plastic. It's not the same breakfast...

Now, whether it's worth the price they're asking? That's another question...
Agreed, but if im paying $200-300 a night, they can offer a free buffet, if the 2-3 star hotel/motels can. Im not really in the mood to pay $30 for breakfast for 2 people including tip daily if its a nicer hotel, thats why I look into suites and try to cook my own breakfast, because those powdered scrambled eggs dont agree with me.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:11 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
I just think that breakfast is absolutely overpriced at expensive hotels. Often they have nice breakfast buffets with fresh stuffs and made to order omelettes etc. but if you end up with $30 plus tip and tax (once I had like $80 breakfast bill for two) it is just not worth it. I anyways prefer buffet style breakfast as it is served in most European (even high class) hotels, with some hot dishes, breads and pastries, fruits, whatever you may want to try. Intercontinental hotels in Europe often have nice breakfast buffets.

The free Holiday-Inn Express breakfast at least includes fruits (bananas and apples), yoghurt, eggs (boiled, scrambled or omelette), some sausage, biscuits with gravy, toasts and bagels, muffins, cereals, warm cinnamon rolls, often waffles or pancakes. Its not superior quality and atmosphere, but its just a good deal for starting the day. After staying in different HIX hotels for like 10 consecutive nights, I got annoyed by that kind of food though.

But its same for everything. The expensive hotels often charge extra for parking, they even often did charge for Wi-Fi if you are not signed up for their loyalty programme. Maybe people who stay at $300 hotels just don't mind to pay $80 extra for any other amenities.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
But its same for everything. The expensive hotels often charge extra for parking, they even often did charge for Wi-Fi if you are not signed up for their loyalty programme. Maybe people who stay at $300 hotels just don't mind to pay $80 extra for any other amenities.
And many are on corporate expense accounts.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:41 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Years ago in Europe a continental breakfast meant bread/rolls with butter & jam plus coffee/tea and perhaps juice. That is it.

Here in the USA some hotel chains offer some kind of buffet breakfast which sounds more like what people are describing here.
Yes. Sometimes had some cold cuts and cheese...More of a "starter breakfast".

Old 06-23-2017, 08:06 AM

810 posts, read 667,820 times
In the US there's a little bit of a distinction now between a hot breakfast and a continental breakfast. The continental breakfast will usually only feature instant/already prepared foods (juice, fruit, cereal, muffins, bagels, etc.) I've also seen some include a waffle maker. When you start adding eggs, pancakes, breakfast meats, etc. you're staying at a pretty good place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel