Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,394,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
never used a travel agent for Disney (10+ trips). don't need someone planning our trips when we are fully capable
This is how I feel too. I just do research, watch shows, read travel blogs then find out where I want to go and what I want to do and I just book it.

I'm talking about both Disney & non. It's very easy to book travel on your own. I don't need someone else doing it for me or trying to sell me things I don't want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,807,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This is how I feel too. I just do research, watch shows, read travel blogs then find out where I want to go and what I want to do and I just book it.

I'm talking about both Disney & non. It's very easy to book travel on your own. I don't need someone else doing it for me or trying to sell me things I don't want.
For people willing to do that, sure. Not everyone is willing or has the time. My TA has saved me money more than once by being on top of the latest discounts. TAs also remind their clients of upcoming deadlines for dining, fastpasses, etc.

My Disney TA has never tried to sell me something I didn't ask for. The bottom line is, Disney-centric TAs would not exist without a market for their services.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
OP, do you know ANY travel agents that make a living these days? Do they make over $1K a month? I'm sure WDC would love to have enthusiasts it like you working for commission.
Yes, many. In an earlier post, I mentioned a friend who gave up his teaching career to devote full time to planning trips. The agency I've applied to has ~20 full-time agents. There are a few part-time agents, like I will be.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of probably 8-10 agencies that are making good money and employ a dozen or more agents. The Unofficial Guide to Disney World planning book has an entire section devoted to listing the best agencies to use in planning a trip.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Update:

I am currently in training. Hoping to be offcial by Oct. 1. I have several potential clients waiting to book with me.

The agency I'm going to work for employs ~75 agents, including a new class of eight new agents (including me). Lots of info to learn. I'm excited to get started.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,178,476 times
Congrats and good luck!! My acquaintance who did the same thing (about 3 years ago left his law practice to pursue TA full time) seems to be EXTREMELY successful these days and loving every minute of it. He lives wherever he wants in the world, currently in the midst of doing a year in Barcelona.

The niche for him seems to be curated, high-end luxury vacations for folks who want good value, excellent taste, and trust him to deliver. I am not that kind of traveler so I've never used his services. But I do follow his social media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel