Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:41 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I find a polite but firm "Excuse me!" fixes that
I found "Move or get moved #$%#$%%" works too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
yes, and those of us who check their bag, usually paying a fee, wait to deplane behind all those who have avoided the fees, often stretching the rules to do so. Definitely peeve worthy IMO
Dave
Seen one guy get flustered because he couldn't put his large luggage item in the overhead bin. He insisted it'll fit if he lays it across horizontally. Flight attendant said that's not acceptable. You do that, and it's taking up the space of 3, smaller luggage that ARE allowed. It needs to be checked in. He didn't want to since his electronic keyboard is fragile. I had to continue ahead to my seat, so I wasn't able to see how that ended.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:04 PM

285 posts, read 386,228 times
People who should know better, i.e. road warriors, that put their carry-on AND personal item in the overhead bin on a full flight, and flight attendants who do nothing about it. I'm talking 22" roll-aboards and a rolling/expandable briefcase. What?! Actually, I saw a guy last year on an early morning Monday flight try to do exactly that, plus a garment bag; he was actually stopped at the gate though.

Similarly, people that put their slim laptop case or small purse in the overhead instead of beneath the seat is pretty annoying too.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:06 PM

810 posts, read 667,820 times
1. tourists who don't research anything and expect to be shown everything by tour agencies. Then they complain about the fast pace, wasting time at little shops that give kickbacks, mediocre lunch at the kickback cafe, guides having to speak in several different languages, etc.

2. scaffolding on major tourist attractions

3. beggars who constantly rattle coins in a cup without making eye contact (NYC)

4. terrible $12 sandwich box on US flights

5. annoying Jamaican vendors on the beach

6. 2 star hotels that charge 5 star prices

7. grumpy old people on a cruise

8. transportion/subway strikes (Europe)

9. having to screw around with VAT and Oyster Card refund in London

10. rain in the forecast for a majority of the trip

11. losing a metro card

12. people taking pictures where photography is prohibited

13. getting from Newark (EWR) to Manhattan

14. people that claim to be into "travel" when they've never left the country.

15. sitting next to someone with a terrible cold on an international flight

Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
People who should know better, i.e. road warriors, that put their carry-on AND personal item in the overhead bin on a full flight, and flight attendants who do nothing about it. I'm talking 22" roll-aboards and a rolling/expandable briefcase. What?! Actually, I saw a guy last year on an early morning Monday flight try to do exactly that, plus a garment bag; he was actually stopped at the gate though.

Similarly, people that put their slim laptop case or small purse in the overhead instead of beneath the seat is pretty annoying too.
I recently saw more than one person put their jackets in the overhead bin. Jackets have no business wasting space up there.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:37 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I'm okay with jackets in the overhead bin as long as they're just on top of a bag and only taking up a bit of vertical space otherwise unused. It's not like they clean the carpets on the plane very often and I wouldn't put a coat in the seat well no more than I'd dump it on the floor at the train station.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm okay with jackets in the overhead bin as long as they're just on top of a bag and only taking up a bit of vertical space otherwise unused. It's not like they clean the carpets on the plane very often and I wouldn't put a coat in the seat well no more than I'd dump it on the floor at the train station.
I was referring to someone who just threw their jacket in the bin, taking up its own space. Yes, if it was on top of their own suitcase (and taking up the same space), that's fine.

My jacket/sweater is usually in my lap or to the side (I'm almost always in a window seat). I'd never put in on the floor, either.

I try to not use the overhead bin at all if I can help it because of the hassle to get stuff out of it. Last flight i was able to fit both my backpack and second bag under my seat.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I recently saw more than one person put their jackets in the overhead bin. Jackets have no business wasting space up there.
We boarded a plane at Kuala Lumpur. There was a large group of Chinese tourists getting on board who, in addition to their carryon bags had each bought a large box of Krispy Kreme Donuts, I assume from somewhere in the airport. They all proceeded to place their carryon baggage in the bins, with their boxes of donuts (the wide flat kind of boxes) next to them. They didn't even bother to try stacking the boxes of donuts, which were of course the exact same size and could have been stacked five high.

When space got tight another passenger started stacking them up to fit his bag, much to the obvious stress of the Chinese group who watched in horror as their boxes would now have to be opened to identify who's was who's after deplaning.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
When space got tight another passenger started stacking them up to fit his bag, much to the obvious stress of the Chinese group who watched in horror as their boxes would now have to be opened to identify who's was who's after deplaning.
Considering how easy it is for either the shop or the buyer to label the boxes at time of sale or shortly after, zero sympathy for having to open them up to see contents.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
The influx of companion 'pets' are becoming a PEEVE.
'Pet' rights making life VERY miserable for 200+ passengers on a plane who, may:
  • Be allergic
  • Dislike the smell
  • Be afraid (legitimate or not)
  • Hate the fleas (We had 4 rows of flea infestation last month, everyone was itching and complaining, I had the bites for the next 2 weeks)
  • Pampering pet owners are FAR worse than pampering parents, and they DEMAND everyone recognize them and their precious PEEVE.

6 on one flight last week, 4 in laps.

new 'pet -relief' areas in airports and rental car lobbys... stinky, many owners will NOT clean up after their 'pets'

50+ yr 'pet' owner of VERY happy and well adjusted farm dogs and cats

They don't LIKE to go in a 'people house'... what is the adventure of THAT (boring when you have a whole farm to protect and enjoy). Never leashed, never penned. and VERY happy (our dogs smile all the time!! especially at UPS driver!) Tax Assessor they won't let out of the car! (the only visitor they do that to!)

Good dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel