Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:03 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times

Advertisements

Richmond, Austin, Portland, Raleigh/durham.. Lots these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:30 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I second the motion made a way back re: Traverse City, MI. The entire area is beautiful and there's a lot to do! You have the gorgeous beaches on the Lake Michigan/Grand Traverse Bay with reasonable prices on lovely condos right on the beach. You can go kayaking, hiking, bicycling, swimming, visit numerous wineries as well as craft breweries and at least one distillery, visit the Inuit museum, shop, dine to your heart's content. The area is wonderful year-round.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:03 AM

483 posts, read 409,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I second the motion made a way back re: Traverse City, MI. The entire area is beautiful and there's a lot to do! You have the gorgeous beaches on the Lake Michigan/Grand Traverse Bay with reasonable prices on lovely condos right on the beach. You can go kayaking, hiking, bicycling, swimming, visit numerous wineries as well as craft breweries and at least one distillery, visit the Inuit museum, shop, dine to your heart's content. The area is wonderful year-round.

This sounds lovely!

Old 07-13-2017, 10:42 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
The whole West Michigan coastline from South Haven to Petoskey with beer and culture stops a bit inland in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo can make for a fun and lovely trip during the right time of year.

https://www.experiencegr.com/blog/po...-grand-rapids/

Old 07-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The whole West Michigan coastline from South Haven to Petoskey with beer and culture stops a bit inland in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo can make for a fun and lovely trip during the right time of year.

Yes, schedule these trips during the optimum season to visit (LUV my SWA Companion Pass for doing this).

for example:
I like Aspen Colors in Colorado / NM / UT / WY, so go the end of Sept (and hope an early heavy snow does not beat me to the leaves) Finish the trip at ABQ Balloon Fiesta! (first weekend in OCT)

PWN is ideal in Aug and Sept (when some places are TOO HOT / muggy / bugs)

Smoky Mtns / New England during the fall,

I do areas near DC / Baltimore in spring during blossom bloom

UP MI / West shore of MI, I enjoy during late spring

CA I like in May (pre fire season)

Tx Hill Country in DEC or April (Bluebonnets)

NV / AZ in March April (Wildflowers)

NZ and Asutralia are GREAT in DEC and Jan!!! Next Dec (wherever you are...) imagine sunset at 10pm and beautiful flowering hillsides

Old 07-13-2017, 09:33 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Don't forget about Mackinac Island! The stretch of Michigan from SleepingBear/Traverse City to Mackinac Island is fantastic.

One other place not mentioned that's worth a visit is Annapolis, MD. Very neat downtown and you can walk the Navy campus. Worth a day trip if you're ever in the D.C./Baltimore area.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:21 PM

483 posts, read 409,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, schedule these trips during the optimum season to visit (LUV my SWA Companion Pass for doing this).

for example:
I like Aspen Colors in Colorado / NM / UT / WY, so go the end of Sept (and hope an early heavy snow does not beat me to the leaves) Finish the trip at ABQ Balloon Fiesta! (first weekend in OCT)

PWN is ideal in Aug and Sept (when some places are TOO HOT / muggy / bugs)

Smoky Mtns / New England during the fall,

I do areas near DC / Baltimore in spring during blossom bloom

UP MI / West shore of MI, I enjoy during late spring

CA I like in May (pre fire season)

Tx Hill Country in DEC or April (Bluebonnets)

NV / AZ in March April (Wildflowers)

NZ and Asutralia are GREAT in DEC and Jan!!! Next Dec (wherever you are...) imagine sunset at 10pm and beautiful flowering hillsides
I'm actually going to workout planning a trip to NZ, but in a couple years. Always wanted to go!! Thanks for suggestions!

Old 07-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
I'm actually going to workout planning a trip to NZ, but in a couple years. Always wanted to go!! Thanks for suggestions!
NZ... go for a LONG time (Need to leave the country every 90 days IIRC)
must have a 'return flight' to enter (get a cheap one to AU)

BUY a diesel camper van that has a FSC sticker (Full self contained) $3000 - $5000, diesel is 1/2 price and economy is 2x (must buy a permit) Very ez to resell to one of thousands of German females under age 32.

Camp at will (where not restricted / most places not restricted) Campermate app, and Maps.me

Eat before you go (eating out is too EXPENSIVE..., buy groceries at the food co-ops) if you want to eat out... Pizza Hut personal pizza ($5NZD) is the ONLY bargain in NZ (and mcD cones)

Practice 'NZ style' while touring USA (campervan / farm stands / beautiful campgrounds / places to stay on the beach...)

Use community pools and hot springs for bathing. (and Lawn Sprinklers during the night if you are 'Stealth')

Old 07-16-2017, 05:25 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
I'm planning to do more travel within the United States and I'm looking for ideas. I'd like to check out some medium sized cities. I like less overwhelming places where its easy to meet people and relax! I like art, history, music, festivals, parks, and great food! Any ideas?!
New Orleans
Savannah
Charleston
Boston
Lowell

Old 07-22-2017, 11:45 PM

417 posts, read 816,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Portland, Oregon
Bend, Oregon
Taos, New Mexico
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Ashville, North Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina
Savannah, Georgia
Nashville, Tennessee
Austin, Texas
San Antonio, Texas
Boulder, Colorado
Santa Barbara, California
Missoula, Montana
Tuscon, Arizona
Salt Lake City, Utah
Tampa, Florida
St. Augustine, Florida
New Orleans, Lousiana
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Portland, Maine
Wow...RosieSD has good taste...I think my recommended list would look almost exactly like hers

I think I might add Louisville or Lexington, KY...nice cities with very pleasant people. And while smaller than "mid-size," Monterey CA is beautiful. I would also say the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina.

I'm a bit biased as I live in the TX hill country, but I echo the Austin and San Antonio recommendations. Both destinations make a nice trip for a long weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel