Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:20 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

Is there a road trip that you want to take but haven't yet?

I have a few buddies who are really into music and most have never been to New Orleans or Memphis or Cajun country. How can they be almost 70 and be music people but never set foot in New Orleans? I'm thinking about a road trip starting from St. Louis and heading south at a leisurely pace along the Mississippi into the delta with stops in Memphis, Clarksdale, Vicksburg, etc., and into New Orleans over to Lafayette and Eunice. The food should be good too. I'm open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 11:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
100% of the Blue Ridge Parkway is on the list.

But Western BC and Canadian Rockies is first (and closer)

Carhenge was nice for Eclipse!
Carhenge, Alliance, Nebraska
https://roadtripusa.com/the-oregon-t...-and-carhenge/
http://armesphotography.com/2017/08/...-eclipse-2017/

When in WY, I always LOVE Beartooth and Snowy range
http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-...ghway-usa.html
https://scenicbyways.info/byway/2054.html

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-28-2017 at 12:13 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 05:55 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
One to Yosemite and another one to the Grand Canyon!

Old 08-28-2017, 06:04 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
100% of the Blue Ridge Parkway is on the list.
I did that back in October 2013 when I was living in Durham, NC. It was amazing during that time of year, and got most of the stretch at peak foliage, which is hard since the elevation varies greater going north to south.

The following year, I did Skyline Drive, which is only 105 miles, as compared to the Blue Ridge Parkway's 429 miles, and actually connects to the Parkway at its northern terminus.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:33 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
One to Yosemite and another one to the Grand Canyon!
A particularly good road trip would include the circle of National/Tribal Parks in Utah/Arizona: Zion/Bryce/Grand Canyon/Monument Valley/Arches/Canyonlands/Capitol Reef (have been to all but the last of these). You could also extend up into Wyoming to include Yellowstone/Grand Teton (with a stop in Jackson) or east into the Colorado parks like Mesa Verde (have done the former but not the latter).

There are also other National Parks within driving distance of Yosemite such as Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and Death Valley (haven't been, sorry to say).

Old 08-28-2017, 06:59 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Coastal CA and Route 66

Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
I've always wanted to take what I call my Route 52 trip. Start with a couple of days in Charleston SC then get on Route 52. It goes up through the Carolinas, Blue Ridge mountains, on up along the Ohio River to Cincinnati, over to Indianapolis and around Chicago, Eastern Iowa, through Minneapolis and ends at Portal, North Dakota at the Canadian border. On the way, we would stop to visit family in Southern Ohio and in Southern Wisconsin and on the way back stop to visit a cousin in South Dakota.

Not a flashy, touristy type of trip, just riding along through America, stopping whenever something looks interesting.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I'm not much of a road trip person, but I'm hoping to fly to Northern Michigan and take a relatively short drive to the Pictured Rocks.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:23 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Is there a road trip that you want to take but haven't yet?

I have a few buddies who are really into music and most have never been to New Orleans or Memphis or Cajun country. How can they be almost 70 and be music people but never set foot in New Orleans? I'm thinking about a road trip starting from St. Louis and heading south at a leisurely pace along the Mississippi into the delta with stops in Memphis, Clarksdale, Vicksburg, etc., and into New Orleans over to Lafayette and Eunice. The food should be good too. I'm open to suggestions.
New Mexico? Road trip? Your state had one of my most-interesting, and entirely inadvertent, road trips ever for me.

I ride motorcycles. Since 2010, adventure tourers when I traded in my GT bike. Haven't been on a racetrack since 2005 (sigh). So in 2010 decided to ride from Santa Barbara to the Georgia coast in about three days : major mistake. Turned around in west Texas after 1130 miles Day 1 (and a good night's sleep), next AM arced to the NW and ended up in Santa Fe.

I dinked around there, ended up climbing into Taos. GPS went a bit screwballs there, confirming for me it's infested with aliens and flying saucers! K, that notwithstanding, arced north and intersected US 64. Yes, kissing-cousin to Get-your-kicks on 66.

Man, what a trip that was, blazing along in the fall (September) up on those roads, all the way west across the state and into AZ! I just kept going until Grand Canyon, then down to Flagstaff for a night's sleep and an 800 mile days. I do things like that.

Dropped into Vegas that next day, where/what from there was rather uninteresting in terms of scenary.

There is no place in the CONUS I know of like that stretch of Hwy 64 all the way west in northern NM. Talk about "God's Country," some of the remotest places I've ever seen and brother I've been over the bulk of this great nation, one end to the other.

Food for thought. To your question: NEXT: Would be a long weekend for most people if you live in Albuquerque or something. Only mildly interesting in a car, I'm sure: were I doing that, I'd probably figure a way to do some real exploring up on the Navajo Reservation and into Arizona.

NEXT, Part II: I need to take a trip to the Lost Coast of California, which is probably me trucking down my Ducati to Grant's Pass (cough cough) and riding a few hundred miles to that part of NorCal and back in a couple days. That's a weird part of the state, seismically dangerous which is why "I think" they haven't built much there past hundred years. Neither have I delved in, in detail, nor even seen since it's many hours from anything resembling civilization out there. Nor do many others live there, except hippies, recluses, pot growers, and artists. All of whom type-wise I've met, treated with, and thoroughly enjoyed the seven years I lived in the Bay Area.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:40 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Up the East coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel