Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Cruising on sailboats? Sure. All the time. ...

I've been caught up in French air traffic controller strikes a couple of times. ..
Ah yes...

traveling in Europe (Strikes by national workers, and anyone else in sympathy...) Sitting at the border of Spain and France for at least a day...MANY times...

Sailing ! The Doldrums
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doldrums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 05:46 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yep, Few times..

Here is one.

Driving back from a working/ski vacation in Colorado back to NJ everything was ok then it started to Sleet, Right around the Colorado/Kansas state line (I70) , Kept drive for a while "It was not that bad" Near Brewster KS, Going about 10mph I had to start driving around fire hydrants assembles 10' long masses of steel that were being dropped off some truck as he went down the road. Said that was enought... Got off at the Colby KS exit. Pulled into a dinner, to rest and make a plan.

Well I stopped to late, every hotel room in town was fill, Next town was probably 2+hr drive, and was told it was probably full also. Figured I would sleep in the car, run the heat when I got cold. I gave a check in call to home (was 19 at the time), Told my mom what happened, and where I was. Gave her the phone number for the pay phone (Remember those). While I was eating dinner, the phone rang. Seem mom knew someone who knew someone in Colby KS, About 5 minutes later got a call from a real nice family, They drove down at like 10pm at night to the dinner and "got" me, I followed them back to there house, It took about 36hrs for the interstate to be passable. Nicest people in the world. I was the kid of a friend of a friend that someone knew... and they took me in.

Kept in touch with them over the years. Years later, they had moved to Dallas Texas, and I was passing thru DFW, and scheduled a "Long" connection, and we meet up and I took them to Lunch.
That's a great story!!

Old 10-04-2017, 06:42 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyEssex_ View Post
And if so for how long

I don't think I have properly, the closest I would say is when I missed a train and had to wait 2 hours for another one
I'm not sure that qualifies as stranded, since you knew exactly where you were and only had to wait briefly.

I was once a little bit stranded when dropped off, at my request, at a sale in another town. As I was walking in, I suddenly realized that I had left my wallet at home, was a long ways away, and in 110-degree heat. I panicked for about a minute, then told myself to calm down, that I was in my own country, spoke the language, and knew exactly where I was and where I needed to go. It eventually meant a long walk in the brutal sun.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 PM

532 posts, read 446,608 times
On a business trip returning to Fairbanks Alaska, stopped to change flights in Seattle. There were no flights due to volcanic activity. They re-booked me but no allowance for lodging from the airline. Never been to Seattle before splurged and had a nice couple days on the Waterfront. Did have to use PTO but return received a couple days per diem by my company.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Yes.
When I was 15 I was stranded in Buffalo (NY) for a day.
When I was 17 I was stranded in Algeria for 10 days.
I was stranded 2 times in Catalonia (once in Barcelona, once in Girona)

Old 10-09-2017, 06:39 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyEssex_ View Post
And if so for how long

I don't think I have properly , the closest I would say is when I missed a train and had to wait 2 hours for another one
that's not stranded. I was stranded many times

1) flight cancelled due to weather from Florida to Toronto. We ended up spending another whole day there but took the time to visit Atlanta, which was not in the plan.

2) I arrived in Lyon on Christmas eve but the airbnb I booked was not available (the previous guest didn't leave the key there). Imagine the frustration.

3) We missed the last bus from Torino to France and ended up spending another night there (was travelling to Sicily).

Old 10-09-2017, 08:22 AM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times
When I was a teenager, my family was flying home from California to Connecticut (via a New York airport). There were major thunderstorms over New York, so the flight was diverted to Michigan. The airline then arranged for all passengers to spend the night in a nearby motel.

Sounds like an utter fantasy by today's standards...

Old 10-11-2017, 03:39 PM

461 posts, read 546,611 times
I was on the way to Aruba with a large bunch of friends and our plane had mechanical difficulty and had to land in Haiti. This was back when Haiti was the Syria of the Caribbean and we spent the night sitting on the floor of the airport, with all of the guys forming a ring around the girls while the "soldiers" circled us leering. We ate nothing, drank nothing, and got the hell out of there the second we could.

I have many Haitian friends, and I know why they fled at any cost.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:04 PM

287 posts, read 897,317 times
Airplane delays, flat tires in the middle of nowhere, being stranded in foreign cities with armed military men telling me to leave but there is no way I could leave...yes, hiccups are all a part of travel. Sometimes they can actually add to the memory. Sometimes they are just a nuisance, like delays that cause connecting flights to be missed, after traveling for 24 hours. But they happen!

Old 10-12-2017, 04:18 PM

287 posts, read 897,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
When I was a teenager, my family was flying home from California to Connecticut (via a New York airport). There were major thunderstorms over New York, so the flight was diverted to Michigan. The airline then arranged for all passengers to spend the night in a nearby motel.

Sounds like an utter fantasy by today's standards...

As you probably already know, airlines won't accommodate when delays are due to weather or delays on tarmac (when its not "their fault"). They will try to get you on standby on another flight, but they won't even try to get you on one of their cooperating carriers. The last flight I took I missed my connection in LA. I was LUCKY to be the first one on the standby list on the last flight out, and the only person on the standby list to make it on. It was a full flight. This was Delta; not sure if other airlines are the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel