Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times

Advertisements

I had 2 United lounge passes that I let expire as I'd never really paid attention to them.

I've never used an airport lounge although I did accidentally walk into one once without a pass lol.

So please enlighten me....what are in these mysterious VIP access airport lounges? Free 3-course meals? Scantily clad masseuses? Belly dance shows? No but seriously I am very curious.

ETA: If there is no bed I can take a nap in then I don't get the hype around them as in an airport that is the primary luxury I would want access to (one can dream right?)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 08:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
A comfy place to relax and work or read during long layovers. I swear by mine after being stuck in a Turkish airport for 12 hours.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:39 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Pleasure leisure. Like the difference between coach and business class flying. With Priority Pass membership enjoy a VIP airport experience, whoever you’re flying with, in whatever class you travel. There are different plans for different prices.
There are comfortable sitting areas, conference rooms, free snacks, drinks, WiFi, stuff to read, massages, showers, spas ... etc.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_lounge

Old 10-31-2017, 08:41 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
A comfy place to relax and work or read during long layovers. I swear by mine after being stuck in a Turkish airport for 12 hours.

When I had (planned) 23 hrs stopover in Istambul, I used the time to explore the city.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:52 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I had 2 United lounge passes that I let expire as I'd never really paid attention to them.

I've never used an airport lounge although I did accidentally walk into one once without a pass lol.

So please enlighten me....what are in these mysterious VIP access airport lounges? Free 3-course meals? Scantily clad masseuses? Belly dance shows? No but seriously I am very curious.

ETA: If there is no bed I can take a nap in then I don't get the hype around them as in an airport that is the primary luxury I would want access to (one can dream right?)...
I belong to "priority pass". Its a credit card benefit I get for free. Priority pass gives you and a couple of guests access to a network of private airport lounges. The lounges can really vary in quality. The most meager ones provide you with free alcoholic drinks, a big screen television, and a monitor with all flight information on it. There is free internet at most too. They usually provide a small selection of snacks too. However, some better lounges include free meals and quality snacks. The beverage selection can be quite large. I've seen some that offer a choice of 30 or more beverages all complimentary.

Some lounges actually include showers and dressing rooms.

The biggest advantage to them is that it gives you a semi-private, quiet place to rest or do work while you are waiting for your flight. I don't think its an enormous benefit, but I do enjoy having priority pass and having a comfortable place to go to wait for a flight.

Last edited by markg91359; 10-31-2017 at 09:17 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I've been in the United Business lounges in Dulles and Narita. Like others have said, they're basically someplace comfortable to relax, spread out a bit, connect to free wifi, eat a little food (nothing particularly fancy, and certainly not multi-course meals), enjoy a few complimentary beverages, and avoid the noise and hustle & bustle of the main terminal. No one was scantily clad, there was no entertainment (other than a few TVs).

The biggest plus for me was the availability of showers in Narita. Between extensive flight delays and a long flight, I felt pretty gross by the time we reached Japan. I had about a 4 hour layover, so I took the opportunity to request a key to a private bathroom. Took a shower, changed, and emerged feeling quite renewed. I only wish I could find the toiletries that I used ... I loved the shampoo!

Old 10-31-2017, 09:41 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
On a long layover, they can be a godsend.. if for nothing else that it's a quieter place to sit and relax and have a free drink or 5.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:49 AM

285 posts, read 386,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I belong to "priority pass". Its a credit card benefit I get for free. Priority pass gives you and a couple of guests access to a network of private airport lounges. The lounges can really vary in quality.
I have Priority Pass as well through my Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Varying quality for sure, and not a ton of options domestically, though it's not bad abroad. I've found many of them to be overcrowded, though I still utilize them when available.

I'm pretty sure you can buy day passes to lounges. If you've got a long layover or a flight is delayed a while, you want to drink multiple alcoholic beverages, and eat lots of finger food, it could be worth the price of admission.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:50 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
I was a member of the American Admirals Club for 25 years.

A comfortable place to wait was one big advantage.

The biggest though is the ladies who ran the place were the best ticket agents in the business and could simply do things that were impossible at a normal ticket counter. Luggage that you were told could not be retrieved was retrieved. Connections that were not possible were made. Upgrades not available became available. And many of the ladies had a reach far larger than the airline. Hotel rooms, rental cars etc.

So it was simply the best place to be when things went south.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:52 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Pretty much all of the above. Generally speaking a place to network as well. You never know who you are going to run into in the lounge with nothing much to do but "wait".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel