Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 13,190 times

Advertisements

Things are going to get better. Everything just takes time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 13,190 times
Smile Travel

Anyone out there that knows about the TAP EXAM?

Old 07-17-2018, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 305 times
There is still affordable car rental options if you look. Outside of the big rental chains you could find places like aamcar.com which is a cheap rental in New York.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:47 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Just a little too re: rental cars

Budget charges no additional driver fee if it's a spouse (maybe other family membets? I don't knoe)

Costco absorbs the additional driver fee if you book thru them

Costco is nearly always the cheapest for airport rentals.

Biggest way to save into take an Uber to van off airport location. WAY CHEAPER especially with Budget. An example: pay in advance prices for a 12 day rental of a Toyota corolla level car in Sept in phoenix.

Airport pickup thru Costco - no pay in advance discount $780
Airport pickup thru budgets website with pay in advance - $640
Off site pickup and return thru budgets website - $390

Extra $50 to drop it off AT THE AIRPORT when we depart.

Uber to off site Location estimate is $35.

One warning - be sure to check the hours that an off site is open, and leave extra time for flight delays.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:27 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
I think your question itself contains the answers. Compared to the past, fuel expenses have increased greatly & this has negatively affected travel budgets vis a vis the past when petroleum was cheap. Cheaper airfares now usually happen after oil prices decline.

Also since the 1980's the typical American's wages have increasingly lagged behind inflation so that we spend more & get less & less each year. When a non-discretional big budget item like a vacation is considered inflated costs loom bigger than they used to.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:52 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
I worked really hard to try to find a low fare and car rental price for a trip over the Easter Holidays but completely struck out. I could not believe how expensive every thing is getting. It seems like the lowest Airfares have doubled in the last 5 years. Hotels are very expensive also. Car rentals have remained somewhat competitive but the taxes and fees are sky high. Finally with gasoline $3.50 a gallon, the costs of leisure travel is just to high for me.I understand why the costs have gone up. That is not in dispute. What I am suggesting is leisure travel by Air/rental car with hotel stays will soon be just to expensive for the middle class. It will be similar to when I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s when we just could not afford to travel by plane and rental car, so we just stayed home. Is this the life of the few middle class very soon?
No, it just takes $100K plus to be middle class.

AirBNB is an alternative to hotels.

Airfares have not doubled in the last 5 years or 20 years. I used to fly from Chicago to New York every week and the round trip coach airfare averaged $250. This was in the nineties. It's currently $172, although that's basic economy (every little thing is extra). Plan on spending $250.

Car rentals have gone up but hotwire.com is pretty good at finding deals.

If you're traveling internationally, airfares have gone up but you didn't say anything about international.

Of course Easter weekend is more expensive! Fixed supply (they don't have extra airplanes), high demand.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I think your question itself contains the answers. Compared to the past, fuel expenses have increased greatly & this has negatively affected travel budgets vis a vis the past when petroleum was cheap. Cheaper airfares now usually happen after oil prices decline.

Also since the 1980's the typical American's wages have increasingly lagged behind inflation so that we spend more & get less & less each year. When a non-discretional big budget item like a vacation is considered inflated costs loom bigger than they used to.
None of that is true. That's a fallacy that continues to be repeated. Let's remember this OP was from 2009 when everything was bad.
Corrected for inflation, gas prices currently aren't bad at all. When the OP posted it was high.

https://inflationdata.com/Inflation/...ices_Table.asp

Likewise, adjusted for inflation, wages are relatively unchanged or at least slightly improved (except for top earners) - dipping and increasing based on boom and bust periods. The "middle quintile" shows a slight but definite increase trend since the 80s.

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/...ar-perspective

Old 07-18-2018, 04:40 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Thanks for quoting "my" paper! I'm a regular columnist for Advisor Perspectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel