Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
^^^

You know maybe I should consider staying outside of NYC... I don't know, ever since the first time I traveled to NYC... I felt like it was a must to stay in Manhattan... most people I asked always advised tourists to stay in Manhattan in case subways to/from the island shut-down due to weather or other problems....

But this being my 3rd time going, I feel like I'm somewhat ok with staying outside Manhattan...
Check out the Hampton Inn and Suites in Brooklyn - Downtown on Flatbush Ave Extn. It's just 2 train stops from lower Manhattan (F train) and walking distance to the very cool and delicious new Dekalb food hall in downtown Brooklyn. Fairly inexpensive by NYC standards avg about $120 per night and breakfast is included .

And you could walk across the Brooklyn bridge if you had too lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 01:29 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
LaJollaEast, your rental was likely in violation of the law, which prohibits apartment being rented for fewer than 30 days.

My mother's building on the UWS had a problem with this a couple of years ago, and it ended up with some tourists being essentially kicked out during their stay. New Yorkers pray a premium for housing, in very tight quarters. People don't pay that kind of money to live in a tourist hotel with compromised security.

OP, you are better off finding a legal hotel.
Well, we all pay more than we'd like to for housing, in whatever city we happen to live. Crazy Mayor De Blasio thinks that if you own property, you should not be able to rent it out except on long leases, making the implied cost of living in NYC even higher. Phooey. (I do understand that there are two sides to this story, and that some Airbnb'ers are annoying to condo owners and long-term renters.)

Old 01-05-2018, 02:39 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i would never ever think of renting my place out on airbnb ,especially in nyc.

do you know if they don't get out when you want your place back you now have to go through eviction proceedings . in nyc that can take months . so you rent your place out for a weekend and now lost the use of it until you get them out . there are loads of people playing this game living rent free just answering these ads knowing they have lots of free time until they are evicted .

there are lots of reasons these can be bad deals for those who lease their property out through these sites .

Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
There are cases where someone "rents" an AirBnB apt for a week & uses it for quick turnover prostitution via craigslist that week. But there the potential hazard is to the owner, not a casual vacationer.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:25 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
nothing is ever a problem until it is a problem .those who rent their living spaces out only see dollars . they don't see the negatives until they happen . in fact most have no clue that these things are going on .

Old 01-07-2018, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 1,522 times
Mathjak, what do you mean by this comment: short-term rentals, whether hosted or not, in “private dwellings”—one-and two-family homes, or rentals of longer than 30 days.

It seems that you didn't finish what you were telling us. Is it legal or not? My lawyer says that if a two family house is being treated like a two family house, then it is acceptable to rent less than 30 days. And on one of the City's most prominent brokerage websites, it says that short term rentals in one and two family homes are completely within their rights to rent out a one and two family home, even as a short term rental.

In the case of our home, we have a freestanding two family home and we bother nobody. Why shouldn't we be able to rent out as we please? This whole thing is ridiculous.

Last edited by SweetPeony; 01-07-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 AM

121 posts, read 105,922 times
Really want to pinch pennies, get 1 bedroom apartment off Airbnb and you take the couch alone.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 PM

243 posts, read 224,864 times
Well I do want to thank everybody for their advice and input. I think I decided on staying at a hotel.
Yes, the price might be scary, but is more scary to get there and Airbnb not able to guarantee a stay... no thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel