Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:35 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,611,841 times

Advertisements

20 somethings.... besides the war museum, I have no doubt that somewhere in London there are breweries/microbreweries that give tours & samples afterwards. Pret a Manger is ok... a chain restaurant for decent grab & go, nothing special otherwise, we have them here. I would check Time Out London for events or places that would interest them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 02:52 PM

407 posts, read 370,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
If you are staying near to Tower of London you could visit that and Westminster Abbey and the London Eye easily in one day. Water taxi runs along the Thames and makes it very easy to get from one to another. If you have purchased an oyster card you can use that for water taxi's also.

Camden market is good so is Portobello. Portobello is ideally situated to also visit the Kensington museums (V&A and Natural History) as well as Harrods as they are all within the same area.
Are you sure you're not confusing the Tower of London with Parliament? The Tower is not near either the London Eye or Westminster. But Parliament is.

ETA: I just saw that you mentioned the water taxis, so I guess that is do-able. Never mind

Old 01-12-2018, 04:57 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Thanks to all the previous posters who helped me out planning an upcoming trip to London.

We decided on the Doubletree Tower of London for a hotel. I did consider renting an apartment but many are already booked, our trip is set for May 5/27-6/3. May 27th is a fly day so we'd actually be arriving on Monday the 28th.

lol, now so far here are some of the things I think we'd like to do. I'm only 1/2 way through the guidebooks, God have mercy on my soul.

Are any of them really not worth the time or would you suggest maybe a substitute. I have not thought about an schedule yet. Is it too much? not enough. we'll have 6 full days.

Tower of london
Westminster Abbey
Buckingham Palace (changing of the guard)
London Eye
National gallery
War museum/Churchill war rooms
National Gallery
Camden Market
British museum
Covenant Gardens
West end theater show.
Thames river cruise

lol and I'm only 1/2 way through the darn books. I think I may need to be tranquilized.
With six days, you can experience a lot here. As for your list of attractions:

Yes to Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, National Gallery, Churchill War Rooms, British Gallery. Covent Garden is kind of fun to stroll around, but you don’t need to spend much time there.

No to Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, from all reports. It’s inexplicably crowded with people and you apparently can’t see much. A better option is the Changing of the Horse Guards, which is more centrally located to the other Westminster area attractions and you can actually see something. But even this was a little underwhelming for me. And you didn’t list it, but an emphatic no for Madame Tussaud’s.

No opinion on the rest, though haven’t heard much good about the London Eye.

There are several excellent things to do that you haven’t listed yet, such as the National Portrait Gallery and the Tate Britain, Tate Modern, and Victoria & Albert Museums.

Here’s what I did on my eight day trip there a few years ago. Bear in mind that I’m a voracious sightseer with a lot of stamina:

Day 1

Cortauld Gallery
National Gallery
St. Martin in the Fields Church
(Evening) National Portrait Gallery

Day 2

Regent’s Park stroll
Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum
Wallace Collection
Tate Britain
St. James Park and Green Park strolls
Westminster Cathedral
(Evening) Tate Modern

Day 3

Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens stroll
British Museum

Day 4

Westminster Abbey
No. 10 Downing St. walk by
Changing of the Horse Guards
Churchill War Rooms
Queen’s Gallery and Royal Mews
Southwark Cathedral
City center stroll to see architecture (Lloyd’s of London Building, The Monument, The Gherkin, Old Bailey, etc.)

Day 5

Tower of London
All Hallows Barking by the Tower Church
St. Mary Le Bow Church
St. Paul’s Cathedral
Dr. Johnson’s House
Banqueting Hall
(Evening) Parliament (House of Commons, House of Lords)

Day 6

Cambridge day trip (included various chapels and colleges, plus Fitzwilliam Museum)

Day 7

Oxford day trip (included Bodleian Library and various chapels and colleges, plus Ashmolean Museum)
(Evening) British Museum

Day 8

St. Etheldreda’s Church
Sir John Soane Museum
Temple Church
Victoria & Albert Museum (into the evening)

All the churches but Westminster Abbey and St. Paul’s were fairly short pop-ins. I took advantage of evening hours where available, and got up early to walk the various parks and then arrive at the first attraction of the day when it opened. I also grouped attractions that were close by each other.

As far as food, definitely would recommend going to a fish and chips place at least once (I did well at Rock and Sole Plaice as well as Masters Super Fish). There are plenty of worthwhile Indian restaurants (enjoyed Moti Mahal, but sorry to report that the other place I went to, Mela, is out of business now). Also enjoyed Rules, an old classic British place with traditional food like meat pies, game, and sweet puddings — very good of its kind, but pricey. If your cholesterol can handle it, try a classic English breakfast as well; several places offer it.

Have fun planning and traveling.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Different strokes for different strokes- for us, there's so much to see inside Westminster Abbey that we've been there twice and spent hours looking at the architecture and crypts each time.
Agreed fully. Westminster Abbey is a must, and you can spend a good couple hours there seeing the interior, which is gorgeous: stained glass, frescoes, sculpture, fancy detail work, and scads of burial crypts for some of the most celebrated people in British history (you can spend plenty enough time tracking down your favorite royalty, authors, composers, and scientists).

St. Paul’s was almost as good, and chances are the famous person you didn’t come across at Westminster Abbey is buried here instead.

I’d go to both if you can.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:17 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
20 somethings hmmm ......

Check out The Globe Theatre, maybe a ticket in the pit would be a great interactive experience for the younger ones?

One thing my son really enjoyed was .. wait for it .. a day trip to Paris. Catch the Eurostar at St.Pancras and in just over 2 hours arrive in Paris. We did a quick 6 hour walking tour of Paris and what fun and what aching feet but it was so worth it. We caught an early train out and were back in London in time for supper. If your son doesn't get to ride the train in the US then a vehicle moving at 150 mph arriving in the capital city of another country in just about 2 hours is a blast !
Sacre Coeur, Montmatre, Arc de Triomphe, the Champs-Elysées to the Eiffel Tower, throw in a quick lunch at a curb side cafe and et voila !! super tiring but fun day.
lol, Paris is actually how we came up with London.

We went to Paris in 2014, loved loved it. took the eurostar over to London, unfortunately the weather was lousy and we didn't get a good experience so we always said we wanted to go back

Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
With six days, you can experience a lot here. As for your list of attractions:

Yes to Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, National Gallery, Churchill War Rooms, British Gallery. Covent Garden is kind of fun to stroll around, but you don’t need to spend much time there.

No to Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, from all reports. It’s inexplicably crowded with people and you apparently can’t see much. A better option is the Changing of the Horse Guards, which is more centrally located to the other Westminster area attractions and you can actually see something. But even this was a little underwhelming for me. And you didn’t list it, but an emphatic no for Madame Tussaud’s.

No opinion on the rest, though haven’t heard much good about the London Eye.

There are several excellent things to do that you haven’t listed yet, such as the National Portrait Gallery and the Tate Britain, Tate Modern, and Victoria & Albert Museums.

Here’s what I did on my eight day trip there a few years ago. Bear in mind that I’m a voracious sightseer with a lot of stamina:

Day 1

Cortauld Gallery
National Gallery
St. Martin in the Fields Church
(Evening) National Portrait Gallery

Day 2

Regent’s Park stroll
Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum
Wallace Collection
Tate Britain
St. James Park and Green Park strolls
Westminster Cathedral
(Evening) Tate Modern

Day 3

Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens stroll
British Museum

Day 4

Westminster Abbey
No. 10 Downing St. walk by
Changing of the Horse Guards
Churchill War Rooms
Queen’s Gallery and Royal Mews
Southwark Cathedral
City center stroll to see architecture (Lloyd’s of London Building, The Monument, The Gherkin, Old Bailey, etc.)

Day 5

Tower of London
All Hallows Barking by the Tower Church
St. Mary Le Bow Church
St. Paul’s Cathedral
Dr. Johnson’s House
Banqueting Hall
(Evening) Parliament (House of Commons, House of Lords)

Day 6

Cambridge day trip (included various chapels and colleges, plus Fitzwilliam Museum)

Day 7

Oxford day trip (included Bodleian Library and various chapels and colleges, plus Ashmolean Museum)
(Evening) British Museum

Day 8

St. Etheldreda’s Church
Sir John Soane Museum
Temple Church
Victoria & Albert Museum (into the evening)

All the churches but Westminster Abbey and St. Paul’s were fairly short pop-ins. I took advantage of evening hours where available, and got up early to walk the various parks and then arrive at the first attraction of the day when it opened. I also grouped attractions that were close by each other.

As far as food, definitely would recommend going to a fish and chips place at least once (I did well at Rock and Sole Plaice as well as Masters Super Fish). There are plenty of worthwhile Indian restaurants (enjoyed Moti Mahal, but sorry to report that the other place I went to, Mela, is out of business now). Also enjoyed Rules, an old classic British place with traditional food like meat pies, game, and sweet puddings — very good of its kind, but pricey. If your cholesterol can handle it, try a classic English breakfast as well; several places offer it.

Have fun planning and traveling.
This is a great itinerary (although I personally wouldn't bother with Madame Tussaud's). St Martin in the Fields is definitely worth a visit and if you can be there at 1pm on a Mon, Tue or Fri you will catch a free lunch-time concert. Well worth it!

St Martin's in the Fields Concerts | Free Music in London

What particular interests do your 20-somethings have?

Old 01-12-2018, 05:25 PM

If I had more time, I would have considered the following:

Saatchi Gallery
Royal Botanic Gardens Kew
Hampton Court Palace
Greenwich: Royal Observatory, National Maritime Museum, Cutty Sark
Windsor: Windsor Castle, Eton College
Day trip tour: Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, Bath

Also
Highgate Cemetery
Freud House
Keats House
Dickens House

Last edited by bachslunch; 01-12-2018 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Added four other things

Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM

I’d also save Paris for another time. It’s another world class city you can easily spend more than a week seeing. Doing it as a day trip from London shortens you a day there and barely scratches the surface of Paris.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
This is a great itinerary (although I personally wouldn't bother with Madame Tussaud's). St Martin in the Fields is definitely worth a visit and if you can be there at 1pm on a Mon, Tue or Fri you will catch a free lunch-time concert. Well worth it!

St Martin's in the Fields Concerts | Free Music in London

What particular interests do your 20-somethings have?
Thanks for the kind words. Believe me, if I had it to do over again, I would exclude Madame Tussaud’s. Cheesy, grossly overpriced (in a city where most of the museums are free!), and full of exhibits simply not worth seeing (many of the figures didn’t even look like the person allegedly portrayed). Had never been to any of these and had heard London’s was among the best of them. All I can say is, if that was one of the best, I can’t imagine how awful the worst would be.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
am I the only one that went to Highgate Cemetery? I appreciate the fact that I had locals as tour guides when I was there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel