Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 04:05 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,691,078 times

Advertisements

So, for context, I live in Florida. However, if I'm being honest, I'm not that big of a beach person. I don't mind the beach, and if there is a particularly beautiful one, I'm happy to stroll alongside it for a couple hours, but the "resort" type travel just doesn't really do it for me. I prefer to have unique experiences/attend festivals, hike in mountains and to see natural wonders, walk around a historic old town or modern city, visit archaeological sites, eat distinctive food etc. My question then, is which places in the Caribbean would I most want to prioritize visiting? Since, I've only really been to (apart from Yucatan, notably):

-Nassau (Capital of the Bahamas. Not the most exciting city I've ever been, but a decent downtown with some historic properties, and a cool fort. If I go back, I'd probably focus more on that aspect and the food, not so much Paradise Island. Frankly, the fact that cars drove on the other side added to the uniqueness of it all.)
-Bahamas Cays (Quite nice/relaxing for a day of a cruise, but not somewhere I'd make a separate trip.)
-San Juan (Only a half day stay, but definitely somewhere I want to get back to)
-Cayman Islands (We went swimming with stingrays which was pretty cool. I did like how it wasn't especially crammed with tourists like certain places.)
-Aruba (The port town was just okay, but we did a helmet dive excursion here, probably my favorite experience out of all these because being 20-30 feet underwater and having that vantage point was highly unique. I'm not that great a swimmer, but this experience made me eventually want to learn to scuba dive.)

From my experience, the places I want to go (besides absolutely exploring San Juan and the El Yunque of Puerto Rico more thoroughly), are:

1. Havana, Cuba: Top of the list for me. It's an easy flight, and the old town looks significant and gorgeous. Added plus that it is relatively close to the water, and that I could take a day trip to Vinales to see the mountains/caves/tobacco fields.
2. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: Seems to have a nice historic town also, and is perhaps positioning itself as a major Caribbean urban center. Has somewhat big mountains nearby too I think.
3. Port Au Prince, Haiti: A place that's really hurting, but a place that I do want to see firsthand, but also for the primary purpose of doing some type of service project to help those in the area.
4. Castries, Saint Lucia: Town is probably quite small, not too much to see, but this island appears to me to be arguably the most beautiful in the Caribbean, and at least for a few days, to have great hiking options.
5. Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago: "Capital", not only of this country, but also probably exists as a hub city for a number of the island nations around it, and perhaps even Guyana/Suriname (and other portions of NE South America). Also, Carnival, which, from what I understand, rivals perhaps even the one in Rio.

So what do you think? Given my tastes, is this a list that makes pretty good sense? Merida, Mexico and surrounds, in addition to Cartagena, Colombia are quite high on my list, but I didn't include them, since those are on the Caribbean, but aren't in the Caribbean. Any others that you would recommend? I have considered taking some type of Island Hopper cruise perhaps from San Juan, so that I could collect a few countries, and get some ideas on what I like best (plus, if I'm on a cruise, I suppose if I wasn't big on one place, I could check out a new place the next day.).

Regards: A non-beach person (and hot weather person, for that matter), still trying to enjoy the attractions of what is near.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 05:19 AM

106,807 posts, read 109,039,935 times
we went to Havana. it was fabulous

Old 01-23-2018, 06:54 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,592,302 times
What did you like about Cuba? Do you go on a packaged tour or travel independently? Did you stay in a large hotel or were there smaller local guest houses available?

Curious because we've never been and are in the general area, wouldn't be too expensive a hop.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:24 AM

106,807 posts, read 109,039,935 times
we went via a cruise . we saw Havana . we were there for 1 day . we are photographers so we found it photography heaven.

the cruises are quite expensive as they are not discounted much to cuba . it is still a novelty .

Old 01-23-2018, 08:23 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,738,912 times
The only 2 Caribbean places that offer more than most are: Puerto Rico and Trinidad & Tobago.

Granted, I went to Puerto Rico long before the hurricane debacle so I don't know how tourist-ready they are yet at the moment. But we rented a car and explored the island, from the Caribbean side to the Atlantic side, went to the mountain, went on a guided night swim with the planktons that glow in the dark, went to Vieques. I think Puerto Ricans are some of the warmest people on earth. They were ever ready to help non-Spanish speaking tourists like us for simple things, like translated menu and ordered food for us, ever ready to chat with us about their island, etc. Plus their food was fantastic!! I found Caribbean food to be bland in general, except Puerto Rico (due to its strong Spanish influence). Their Le-chon was to die for! The entire time we were in PR, we barely spent time lounging at the beach because there were too many things to see and do.

Trinidad and Tobago was also excellent, although less safe than PR. We liked exploring Trinidad and its night markets filled with road side food vendors. Their food had a lot of Indian / African influence to it, very tasty. Tobago was more laid back, and that was our little 'vacation from vacation' place. You do need to be careful exploring Trinidad at night as some areas are unsafe for unsuspecting tourists.

I would have put Jamaica up there were it not for their abysmal safety situation right now. Jamaica has a lot to offer (and we enjoyed our visit there years ago) but I heard 3 countries (UK, Canada, and US) told their tourists to stay inside their resort compound when visiting Jamaica due to increased violence in Montego Bay area. What a shame.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 AM

23 posts, read 11,943 times
Aruba is the only place in the Caribbean I've been to multiple times. Honestly going by what you're looking for most of the Caribbean doesn't seem to suit you. It sounds like you would be better off in Costa Rica or something.

On a side note I'm going to have to pick on you and some others if you only saw a country by way of a cruise ship you most likely did not get a true feel for it.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,181,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigitalNomadofTruth View Post
Aruba is the only place in the Caribbean I've been to multiple times. Honestly going by what you're looking for most of the Caribbean doesn't seem to suit you. It sounds like you would be better off in Costa Rica or something.

On a side note I'm going to have to pick on you and some others if you only saw a country by way of a cruise ship you most likely did not get a true feel for it.
Agreed.. Go to Costa Rica for a week

Old 01-23-2018, 03:01 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,887,688 times
St Lucia would give you beautiful mountains and great natural wonders. Its towns are not very pretty or historic.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:43 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,665,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigitalNomadofTruth View Post
Actually, I think a cruise would be perfect for the OP. It lets you have a small sample of several different islands -- just enough of a taste to decide which ones warrant further exploration on a future trip, and which ones aren't worth returning to.

Not that I've been to all that many Caribbean islands, but my favorites would be Cozumel (for the food and cheerful atmosphere), Grand Cayman (for the friendliness and non-pushiness of the people), and St. Maarten (for the uniqueness of a small island being shared by two different countries).

Bermuda beats all of these places, hands down. But it's not in the Caribbean. Ditto for any of the main Hawaiian islands, again on both counts.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:28 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
I'm thinking like some of the others here: WHY are you concentrating on carribean islands? They rarely fit what you are looking for.

Costa Rica and Puerto Rica would be exceptions.

Haiti? For real? That's about as safe and pleasant as Tehran. (I'm not the only one that thinks that way. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6905236.html

I read your interests and IF those really are what you are looking for, think about Mexico. Think about going places that are inland - you don't care for beaches anyway. Stop going to places where tourists and cruise ships flock (and that includes St Lucia). Go to smaller towns and get out of the big cities. Go to Europe or Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel