Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,244,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If there is a way to reply so that it shows on AirBnB, I would simply say:

"There were no rules or instructions given regarding minimum/maximum desired temperatures. If there had been, I would have followed them. My recommendation is that the host include the parameters for thermostat settings in the list of house rules."

You can defend yourself without "skewering" him as you don't want to negate your point. I'd also not bother with mentioning the other issues at this point because it would just come across as sour grapes.

FWIW, please give an honest review of places. If there are negatives, state what they are along with the positives. Many people, like myself, take those into account when choosing a place to stay.
This is terrific. And diplomatic. I like this option actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 AM

6,570 posts, read 8,420,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
That and 54 years old and with a good job is probably not the type of person who should be sleeping in stranger's guest rooms and nickel and dimeing it when there's perfectly good low-priced hotels all around. It's not like I'm 22 and crashing on my buddy's futon to save cash.
My husband and I rented a room in someone's house through AirBnB this past fall. In conversation with our host, she said she travels frequently for work and rents rooms through AirBnb (which is what inspired her to do the same). You're not the only one!

Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,754,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
All other reviews about him were positive. Yes I can leave a reply. But again, I'm a bit apprehensive, and also not wanting to stoop to that level. It just irks me really.
That and this is kind of a lesson learned. That and 54 years old and with a good job is probably not the type of person who should be sleeping in stranger's guest rooms and nickel and dimeing it when there's perfectly good low-priced hotels all around. It's not like I'm 22 and crashing on my buddy's futon to save cash. It kind of felt that way.

I absolutely would reply and state all the things that were wrong with your stay! That way you don't look like a disrespectable guest and it also lets others know the problems you had so it doesn't happen to someone else!

I never stay at AirBNB's I also suggest staying at an actual hotel in the future!

Old 01-24-2018, 08:26 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Quote:

"There were no rules or instructions given regarding minimum/maximum thermostat settings. If there had been, I would have followed them. My recommendation is that the host include the parameters for thermostat settings in the list of house rules."

You can defend yourself without "skewering" him as you don't want to negate your point or make yourself look bad by getting into a pissing contest. I'd also not bother with mentioning the other issues at this point because it would just come across as sour grapes.

FWIW, please give an honest review of places. If there are negatives, state what they are along with the positives. Many people, like myself, take those into account when choosing a place to stay.
Your reply is excellent. A perfect thing to say in response to that owner.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:35 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,263,797 times
76 is sort of high...

Anyway, you wouldn't catch me dead staying in some strangers home. Just no.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,890,580 times
Quote:

"There were no rules or instructions given regarding minimum/maximum thermostat settings. If there had been, I would have followed them. My recommendation is that the host include the parameters for thermostat settings in the list of house rules."

You can defend yourself without "skewering" him as you don't want to negate your point or make yourself look bad by getting into a pissing contest. I'd also not bother with mentioning the other issues at this point because it would just come across as sour grapes.

Great response!

I think the host are too anal. He should appreciate your kind review not mentioning the broken shower.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I seriously don't understand why people choose air bnb over hotels unless you have a big group or want a place with a private pool.
I never even use uber, either. I use NYC cabs.
I don't want to be judged. I just want to pay and be done.
Hotels don't care about the temp you choose or how many hot showers you take.
Main reason I did it was for 270$ including taxes I stayed somewhere in a great location I knew well for 10 nights. I was watching the money bigtime over the holidays: not really typical.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,166,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I seriously don't understand why people choose air bnb over hotels unless you have a big group or want a place with a private pool.
I never even use uber, either. I use NYC cabs.
I don't want to be judged. I just want to pay and be done.
Hotels don't care about the temp you choose or how many hot showers you take.
I pretty exclusively stay in AirBnBs, although I have never shared accommodations, I have only rented an entire apartment/house. I much prefer it to a hotel. It is usually cheaper and provides access to kitchen facilities (and sometimes laundry). You also have a broader range of locations to choose from. I appreciate staying in a neighborhood, and I don't always like the sterile and recirculated air of a hotel--not to mention dealing with a horde of strangers who are sometimes noisy and less than thoughtful when staying in hotels (even upscale ones). I have never felt 'judged' and I have never even read my guest reviews. I do just pay and am done.
I think the advice to the OP about how to respond to the negative review was very good. I also agree that it is important to accurately rate your experience for the good of future customers.
Something like heat is very subjective and the OP did not do anything out of line in my opinion.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:34 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,185,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I pretty exclusively stay in AirBnBs, although I have never shared accommodations, I have only rented an entire apartment/house. I much prefer it to a hotel. It is usually cheaper and provides access to kitchen facilities (and sometimes laundry). You also have a broader range of locations to choose from. I appreciate staying in a neighborhood, and I don't always like the sterile and recirculated air of a hotel--not to mention dealing with a horde of strangers who are sometimes noisy and less than thoughtful when staying in hotels (even upscale ones). I have never felt 'judged' and I have never even read my guest reviews. I do just pay and am done.
I think the advice to the OP about how to respond to the negative review was very good. I also agree that it is important to accurately rate your experience for the good of future customers.
Something like heat is very subjective and the OP did not do anything out of line in my opinion.
I love staying in AirBnb's honestly, much more than typical hotels, especially for stays of more than 3 or so days, epecially in Europe. We just returned from a trip and stayed in an Airbnb in Krakow... Had a jacuzzi tub and a fireplace and was in the best neighborhood to stay in, 5 nights was $250!!! For me, the neighborhood part is critical, I spend time figuring out which neighborhood to stay in and go from there.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Okay, OP here.
I just went ahead and sent a reply. Kept it diplomatic, cut-and-pasted what was suggested in the previous post. However, I was a little more barbed. I started thinking about a couple of the false accusations and addressed them directly... cleared those up. Diplomatically, but contested it.
Hotels from now on doesn't sound like a bad idea in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel