Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:28 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times

Advertisements

Hwy 160 across the bottom of Missouri is way prettier than Hwy 70 interstate. It goes from Poplar Bluff to Springfield and Hwy 60 is very pretty too if you're in more of a hurry. You can't be in a hurry on 160.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 10:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Default Northwest Ark.

Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
Bentonville Ark. US-71

Houses a permanent collection of American art masterworks from the colonial era to modern day, and touring collections from national art institutions. Acclaimed collection includes such masterpieces as Charles Wilson Peale’s and Gilbert Stuart’s portraits of George Washington; Asher Brown Durand’s Kindred Spirits; and Norman Rockwell’s Rosie the Riveter. Other major works by artists such as John Singer Sargent, Thomas Eakins, William Merritt Chase, Thomas Hart Benton and Andy Warhol, are also featured. Temporary exhibitions program complements the permanent collection. The museum acquired Frank Lloyd Wright's Bachman-Wilson House in 2015 after it was taken apart in New Jersey and rebuilt on the grounds in Bentonville. Solar powered shuttles transport visitors. Free admission.

https://www.arkansas.com/business/cr...ican-art/93507

While in the area don’t miss enjoying some of the shops in the town square of Bentonville. The original Walmart store that started the business is located on the square and now turned into a museum with interesting items from the Walmart past.

https://goo.gl/maps/kpAgG3zi5v72

Old 04-25-2018, 01:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
In Oregon, 101, 66 from Medford to Klamath Falls, 26, particularly through the John Day Valley and John Day Fossil Beds, 138 from Roseburg to Crater Lake plus the Rim Drive, and parts of the Columbia Gorge, though they have closed the old highway since the fires last summer, so the freeway is your only choice.

In Washington, the North Cascades Cross State Highway is a great drive, then you can take 97 all the way south through Idaho.

If you get to Montana, visit Glacier and take the Going To The Sun Highway from west to east, in a convertible. That one should be on everyone's bucket list.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:59 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Here are some good resources for planning off the interstate road trips. Also Google search for more detailed old maps of the states you want to travel.

Lincoln Highway Map 1913 - 1926

1926 US Highway Map

1956 US Highway Map

Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
In Oregon, 101, 66 from Medford to Klamath Falls, 26, particularly through the John Day Valley and John Day Fossil Beds, 138 from Roseburg to Crater Lake plus the Rim Drive, and parts of the Columbia Gorge, though they have closed the old highway since the fires last summer, so the freeway is your only choice.

In Washington, the North Cascades Cross State Highway is a great drive, then you can take 97 all the way south through Idaho.

If you get to Montana, visit Glacier and take the Going To The Sun Highway from west to east, in a convertible. That one should be on everyone's bucket list.
^^^
I had remembered that wonderful trip earlier today and was going to share some info on it. Thanks Larry. I do remember that it was windy and cold on the east side of the Glacier but once on the west side it was like early summer. lol

Many Glacier Hotel historic chalet with rustic rooms. Located near the end of Rte 3 west of Hyw 89 on the east side of Glacier Nat’l Park in northern Montana is one of the most remote civilized locations to enjoy a true “get-a-way”. You have a short time in the summer months to visit because the weather can get bad so be sure to check on the best time of year to visit.

While there you can enjoy the drive over the Going-to-the-sun Mountain starting at St. Mary on the east side and Lake McDonald on the west side and will tie you up to US Hwy 2 at West Glacier. This will take you on into Columbia Falls, Kalispell where you can enjoy Flathead Lake.

Take your camera and enjoy the wonderful views of the lake and mountains in the area. Hiking, boating, fishing and some of the best around.

https://goo.gl/maps/DKgFzJsaJjn

https://goo.gl/maps/GgnAgprbjAv

https://goo.gl/maps/YykQFxacY3r

https://goo.gl/maps/icJEMEKJxz62

Old 04-25-2018, 08:08 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
THE MOST SCENIC DRIVE IN ALL 50 STATES

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...-peak-route-66
Cool. I have been on 4: SC, NC, VA, and WV.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:10 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Hwy 160 across the bottom of Missouri is way prettier than Hwy 70 interstate. It goes from Poplar Bluff to Springfield and Hwy 60 is very pretty too if you're in more of a hurry. You can't be in a hurry on 160.
Don't think I have been on this drive, moved away when I was little, but I am related to the Blunt's from Poplar Bluff.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:46 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Utah 12. Bryce to Capital Reef
WY 14a Bighorns
US 34. Trail ridge road
Beartooth highway MT / WY.
North Cascades and Okanagon WA and BC
Kangkamangas - NH,
Blue ridge parkway
CA 299 Redding to Leggett
Enchanted Highway ND
Needles Highway SD
Highway to the Sun, MT,
Million dollar... ouray, CO
Independence Pass CO
Snowy Range, WY
Mora Valley to Angel Fire, NM

That’s just a few in USA, there are many great international roads.

So little time
Some great ones there, and others that I haven't heard of and will need to investigate....

Old 04-26-2018, 03:46 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
If I were to blue road it out West, I certainly wouldn't do it with my own car, only in a rental car, just in case.
I've done most of the blue-roads in all of NV but it can get pretty scary out there in those desolate areas and some areas with no cellphone service. So even if my rental car broke down, could I call Enterprise from the middle of NV? Maybe not!

I know, about 10 years ago, I was driving thru Death Valley to Mammoth and there was no cellphone service in Death Valley. God forbid you should break down there! Let's hope you can now get cellphone service over there!

A woman who had just moved to Las Vegas from GA, decided to take herself and her son out to Death Valley and they went off-road on dirt roads, the car broke down, and she had deluded herself into thinking that if anything happened she'd merely call for help with her cellphone! No service! In the heat of summer!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If I were to blue road it out West, I certainly wouldn't do it with my own car, only in a rental car, just in case.
I've done most of the blue-roads in all of NV but it can get pretty scary out there in those desolate areas and some areas with no cellphone service. So even if my rental car broke down, could I call Enterprise from the middle of NV? Maybe not!

I know, about 10 years ago, I was driving thru Death Valley to Mammoth and there was no cellphone service in Death Valley. God forbid you should break down there! Let's hope you can now get cellphone service over there!

A woman who had just moved to Las Vegas from GA, decided to take herself and her son out to Death Valley and they went off-road on dirt roads, the car broke down, and she had deluded herself into thinking that if anything happened she'd merely call for help with her cellphone! No service! In the heat of summer!
^^^ Very good points made! Always have a good idea of where you are and always let others know before you leave on a trip. Cell phones don't always work even in areas that you would think they would. And yes,,,, carry a folding map of the area if you're going off main fed/state highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel