Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 02:19 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,050,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Not a big fan of Frontier.

Frontier is ok to me. Not the best but certainly not the worst. $37 each way from Vegas to Tampa was the best deal. Of course, I paid an extra 25 for a seat.

They were definitely the best when my dad passed away. I got the call at 3pm Vegas time. The other airlines were at least $800 to fly one way to Cleveland on the same day. Frontier was $89.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 04:10 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,729,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The flight attendants stay out of any disagreements so it's kind of law of the jungle where the weak and timid get the shaft.
Sounds positively dreadful.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:09 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,414,796 times
I try to always use Jetblue and avoid Spirit like the plague.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,282,396 times
each of the econo carriers seem to have their issues, but are a great benefit to budget travelers.

As an early retiree... (hint: no income and many yrs to SS) I use all / best pricing.

Frontier
last week for a $70 2500 mile red-eye. (they wanted $75 to 'add my name / middle initial to reservation to qualify for TSA-pre (I didn't comply, TSA-pre was closed after 7pm anyway for red-eye schedule...)

Spirit when they offer minimal pricing and I can afford to lose the ticket if I cancel. (loved the $19.90 1500 mile flights to San Diego = SUN!!!) left at 5 AM, returned at 1 AM, no need for car / hotel / taxi in SAN.

Jet-blue is great for red-eyes from left coast to east coast

rules:... on the discount fares, I do NOT bring luggage bigger than 'free' (underseat).

I board VERY LAST and take the seat / row I prefer.
Bring food / water,
and if staying a few days... wear 2 - 3 sets of clothes while boarding.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM

782 posts, read 861,667 times
Love Jetblue and Virgin.

Delta is tolerable.

The worst from my experience is United, Spirit is second worst.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 3,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post

I will probably get crap for saying this........but I actually like Southwest!
I complain about SWA some, but I keep flying it... the positives outweigh the negatives.
I'd like to have assigned seats, but the absence of change fees is more important.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:40 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I personally love Jet Blue.
jet Blue is in theory great but the 2 times I flew with them they separated me and my fiancé (we booked directly through not a third party) & they provided free wifi except that the plane did not have outlets anywhere to charge any devices ... how can I use free wifi if my device isn't charged?

Other than that, it got me from point A to point B.

I have a flight coming up from NY to CA. I hope it is better this time.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:41 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,496,336 times
I've flown on a decent chunk of foreign airlines: TAM Brasil, Aerolineas Argentinas, China Southern, China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines, Thai Airways, and Air Macau. All of them blow anything any US carrier has to offer out of the water. I flew from Beijing to Shanghai (a roughly 2 hour flight) on China Eastern, and it was on a Boeing 767 with the most leg room I've ever seen on any flight. They even served us a full meal! The flight attendants are so much more attentive and friendly, the food is better, and leg room is generally more liberal.

My own personal opinion on US carriers.

Good- JetBlue, Delta

Okay(ish)- American, United

Bad- Southwest (I absolutely hate their open-seating and their A/B/C lines which no one respects).

Terrible- Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant, or any other bottom of the barrel Ultra Low Cost Carrier. I've never flown on one but their reputation for terrible service is pretty universally accepted.

I've never flown Virgin America or Alaska, but have heard good things about them. Living in Philadelphia, I end up having to fly American most of the time, and while they aren't anything special, they aren't terrible either.

Though given the choice between a US carrier and a foreign one, I'll always go with the foreign one as long as the price point isn't considerably higher.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:42 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Spirit is ok for short haul flights. I did a 1hr30 from JFK to Myrtle Beach, which was fine. I would not fly across country on them though.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:58 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,921,416 times
Best airline is one that prevents death of pets while on the trip....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel