Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 05:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,904,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was on an American flight. We boarded the plane and shortly after were told the plane couldn’t take off. I went to the counter, got rebooked in the next flight. I upgraded my seat and went to the gate.

Suddenly my digital boarding pass changed. No notification, just booted off the flight. I went to the agent and no apology, nothing. Just a shrug of the shoulders and a too bad. Literally. I was fuming and lost it.

I 100% didn’t handle it well, however had the agent apologized and made an attempt to rectify it I wouldn’t have been upset. It’s amazing how they can put fuel in the fire.

So to answer your question, frequent flyer and upgraded. Didn’t help.
I've had the re-booking then the sudden booting happen; it's frustrating

Sorry this happened to you.

The airlines do not make it any better since they generally just give you the "oh well" or the dull look. I didn't lose it but was on fire inside, lol.

This would be one of the reasons that I drive everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 07:31 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,317,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
During this time, I have NEVER been bumped, had a problem with a flight attendant, ticket agent, or crew member of ANY airline, nor have I ever had any problems with other passengers. That's right, NEVER!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!! What's my secret? Be polite to everyone, treat others as you would like to be treated, and shut up and do as you are told. If everyone did this, there would be no problems.

Same here. I never even lost a bag although a couple have disappeared for about an hour ... and I was well compensated both times.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
thousands of flights for me (11 in the last week)
1) I have never seen anyone 'booted off' from a flight (after boarding). Have had an air marshal intervene once, but flight continued. Once in LAS they pulled a very drunk gal out of the jetway (After check-in)

2) Bumped ? That is my preferred way to travel (giving up my seat for $$$), but no longer happens, not even on Mondays and Fridays (which I intentionally book with hopes of being Bumped!) As a home-school family, bumps paid for 80% of 12 yrs travel for frequent 'field-trips'

3) Seat assignment? Who get those..? really a BAD idea if you find a behemoth next to you in assigned seat... better to 'take a pass' and find a better seat. Drunk / stinky people? It's nice to be able to move.

4) Getting removed from flight to make room for crew? Never happened, but I would be PLEASED to give up my seat for someone who has a more urgent business need. My trip can wait, I might meet someone really interesting while waiting! And airlines are very happy to accommodate me for volunteering. (got a $500 voucher last week for no reason that I can remember)

5) Lost damaged baggage?, once damaged, once one flight delayed. Each time they made it up to me. Round the world + 11,000 mile flights to bizarre places hundreds of times without issue.

Guide to Avoid Getting Booted Off of Domestic Flights (U.S. Only) Just be a knowledgeable and responsible consumer / traveler and you should be fine!

Old 07-01-2018, 09:27 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,219,343 times
Are you talking about being kicked out of your seat on the plane, or being told at the gate that they are overbooked? In the latter case, don't they make an announcement to seek volunteers to rebook? And offer compensation for the inconvenience?

Old 07-02-2018, 04:50 AM

723 posts, read 572,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Be polite to everyone, treat others as you would like to be treated, and shut up and do as you are told.
Best advise on this thread so far. Especially the "shut up" part.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:45 AM

61,870 posts, read 87,339,575 times
Quote:
Guide to Avoid Getting Booted Off of Domestic Flights (U.S. Only)
Right. Sadly, most US airlines weren't great at looking after passenger rights when it came to overbooking.
In the EU you're entitled to be given up to $900 if you arrive at your destination more than three hours after you were supposed to (with extraordinary circumstances like weather excluded).
You can then get meals, free phone calls or emails, and hotel accommodation if needed.
Overbooking happens almost everywhere. Airlines have got into the habit of building the "no-show" problem into their planning.
The point is that in the US the police is allowed to drag a bloodied, screaming passenger from an overbooked plane.
We should have better rules how to handle such situations - more discretely, sensitively and sensibly.
We shouldn't be plotting "stratergies" how to avoid a bloody mess on a plane or be a reason for such global outrage:
https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...oking-response

Old 07-02-2018, 07:27 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,046,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
I am surprised this thread does not exist. These days it seems people are getting kicked off flights for any reason now.
Except they aren't.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:45 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,846,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Flight attendants have no clue what your frequent flyer status is or what company you're with. And your company carries no weight with the airlines, unless perhaps you're the CEO of Amazon (and I'm guessing he doesn't fly commercial)
That isn't true, the steward & gate agent have the passenger list and it has passenger names, flyer status and affiliations on it. Flyer status does carry a slight bit of weight, they will bump a non-member over a member.

I usually book early, get assigned seats and then I check the reservation on a regular basis to make sure it hasn't been changed. United was going through a fleet upgrade last I went to Europe, and the type of plane (and seating configuration) changed twice and both times I was able to fix our arbitrarily assigned seats on the new plane. (I use the SeatGuru website to pick seats.) Since I am just shy of 6 feet tall with one bad knee, even on short flights I try for an aisle seat that lets me stretch out that leg.

Mostly I find that by being prepared for the process and pleasant to all the airline employees means I don't have problems, even when I see other people around me having problems. I've had luggage delayed twice in 40 years of flying, which is a surprisingly good record.

My biggest pet peeve centers around San Francisco Airport - SFO is frequently cut down to one runway because of fog and the line at the United customer service center can be 300+ people, all trying to rebook because of cancellations and extreme delays. The agents need to be able to help you at the individual gates, spreading the line around, instead of herding all those pax into one place. I rebook either using my phone or opt for the upgrade to the United Lounge and the much shorter line there. My home airport is small with few direct flights to the eastern US and connecting via SFO is pretty much a given, so I see it a lot.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-02-2018, 09:24 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,542,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
That isn't true, the steward & gate agent have the passenger list and it has passenger names, flyer status and affiliations on it. Flyer status does carry a slight bit of weight, they will bump a non-member over a member.
They may have a list, but when they are interacting with you in the cabin, they do not know who you are or what your status is. They deal with too many flights each day to be able to recall from memory that the passenger in 8C is Premier Gold and works for IBM.

I do agree that they will bump a non-member over a member in the case of overbooking, but that's not the flight attendants doing that.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:57 AM

1,063 posts, read 698,263 times
I am sorry I have not checked in to this thread - What I got though is I should keep my company Travel hotline on speed dial because there is no prioritization in re-booking based on the class of the airline ticket in the event we can't take off for whatever reason.

I tend to err more on the side of caution. Some are saying this is less than 1% of flight experiences. However, in my mind these news events could be the TIP OF THE ICEBERG - In that's the ones that made the news. From my perspective I would be willing to wager this happens MORE OFTEN THAN IS REPORTED.

The guy from the Young Turks documented just a regular ordinary trip he was stuck somewhere for 24 hours no hotel no nothing everything was on his dime when they decided no more planes for the day. I think it was SFO but not sure about a year or two ago. Things have definitely gotten worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel