Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

When I was about 10 years old I came down with nausea the day we left on a road trip, and I puked for the next four days straight. The first food I kept down was a hot dog at a beach cookout. Even at 10 years of age, I was amazed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:41 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I decided to treat my mother to New England one Fall for the changing of the leaves. We first headed up to Lake Placid, then head east. I had diarrhea for the entire 6 days after leaving Lake Placid, and I even did it in my motel room one night while sleeping. I just took the sheets and sunk them in the tub with water.

Later, I learned from a New Yorker, that the water up in upstate New York can do that to you, or at least some people. But not my mother.

I've traveled all over the world and never had this happen to me so it was a big shock to me! Why not in India, China, Mexico, Central America, but right here in the U.S. of A.!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:53 PM

168 posts, read 165,272 times
Toss up: malaria while riding my bicycle through remote Niger, far, far away from any help ...or... falling on ice, breaking my tailbone, right humerus and both wrists.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I ate shellfish on the half shell in a restaurant on the Pacific end of the Panama Canal 55 years ago. All six of us got very sick. I had not thought about that for a half century or so. Thanks OP for reminding me.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:09 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Me! We flew to Sacramento for our daughter's 1 year birthday with my parents. We took one day, rented a car and drove to Frisco. Upon arrival at our motel, I became violently ill with a stomach virus. Didn't even get to eat. One week later the earthquake hit during the World Series. We would have been there during that earthquake if our daughter had been born a week later than she was.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:30 PM

413 posts, read 301,405 times
My first deep sea fishing trip I got sick sick sick. The smell of the live anchovy bait well and the 8 foot rolling sea. The hot sun beating on deck increase the sent of the dead fish strewn across the deck. I laid down in a covered spot and vomited and cramped for two days after.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:35 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
We weren't going anywhere exotic but I got some kind of stomach virus that hit me a few hours after we got to my SIL's house. Diarrhea every few minutes and vomiting then dry heaves after my stomach was empty. It was doubly embarrassing because her house has only one bathroom and of course there were 8 other people in the house while I was sick. I absolutely hate to use other people's bathrooms or public restrooms unless it is to pee.

I had cramping/diarrhea the entire visit :: and the drive home was really rough, ha ha. It wasn't funny at the time but hey I can laugh about it now

Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Not really an illness, but years ago, I went to Mexico for my 33rd b'day. They had a 129-degree heatwave. Once the plane doors opened & the heat hit me, I got an instant bonce bashin' migraine. I still recall, standing in customs for hours, just wanting to lie down on the floor & cry. Problem is, when I used to get migraines like that, they were accompanied by constant vomiting. Lovely.

My bf at the time had to go off on his own for day trips or to eat. I couldn't get out of bed from Fri-Mon for anything... the plane ride home on one of those little rinky dink airlines no longer in biz was horrendous. It was a tomato can on wheels. They had the smallest, most cramped seats (& I'm a small girl), but with a still pounding head, being stuffed into the last seat on the plane squished in-between what seemed like 2 WWF fighters, added to being nauseated as I'm afraid to fly, I break out in a headache just thinking about it.

The silver lining was it was the 1st time in years the bf left me alone & I had time to think. I realized what an awful person he was, how terribly he treated me & for my own safety & sanity I needed to leave. Fear had kept me there. I left Atlanta for a software job in Seattle 3-mos later. Barely made it out alive, but that's another story.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:24 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Ugh. I went to cancun for my cousins bachelor/bachelorette party. We stayed at a brand new resort and everything seemed fine. The last night were were there I was sitting at the table and all the sudden felt nausea come upon me. I excused myself from the group and never came back down. I was in the room with stabbing stomach pains and cold sweats all night. I was freezing, and the blankets were covered in sweat. Thank god I had a later flight. They did give me 5 free nights to return though.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
My first deep sea fishing trip I got sick sick sick. The smell of the live anchovy bait well and the 8 foot rolling sea. The hot sun beating on deck increase the sent of the dead fish strewn across the deck. I laid down in a covered spot and vomited and cramped for two days after.

That brings back a memory: My dad took us fishing in the Straights of Juan De Fuca in Northern Washington. I think I was sick the whole time we were out there, but we were catching big Chinook, so it's one of those love-hate memories!

Once we were back on land, we barbecued those suckers, and they were delicious!

I haven't thought about this stuff for years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel