Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:08 AM

189 posts, read 166,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
If either of you speak any French, brush up on your vocabulary and know at least simple phrases of polite greetings and questions.

We noticed that in shops and restaurants knowing the protocol of greeting the shopkeepers and ordering your meal in French made a huge difference to us. We were treated with courtesy and patience everywhere. Our favorite experience was in a small bakery near our flat where the family of shopkeepers spoke no English but we all managed. Another restaurant owner corrected our French phrasing a couple of times (helpfully) and enthusiastically greeted us upon a return visit.
This is important advice for having a good experience. It is considered rude to fail to greet people before asking a question, requesting a table or ticket, and when entering an establishment. All conversations should begin with bonjour or bonsoir. It’s also custom to say merci or au revoir when leaving. Small things that can make a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 11:15 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,437,233 times
My husband's main focus was Père Lachaise Cemetery, Paris, France for Jim Morrison's grave. There are lots of other famous people buried there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...haise_Cemetery and it is a neat cemetery besides. Very old.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:23 AM

1,016 posts, read 307,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

... (many museums, for example, are closed on Mondays) ...

The Louvre is closed on Tuesday unless it's recently changed.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:52 PM

604 posts, read 857,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, so my wife and I have decided to do our honeymoon in Paris.

We have the dates set and met with a travel agent earlier in the week.

With that said a lot of people who I talked to whom been to Paris recommend ditching the TA.

After finding Viator felt confident until read up on going through a middle man.

Was able to find tours directly from tour groups online.

Found a few hotels.

Just curious what is your thoughts on a TA? Good bad choice???

Seeking feedback!

Thanks!
My advice is dump the TA but if you don't, definitely DO NOT use Viator.

On our first trip to Paris the husband and I booked an Eiffel Tower tour with cocktails and the Viator rep didn't give us all the tickets we needed to get to the top (you need multiple tickets for different levels of the tower) so at the main observation deck we couldn't go any higher until we got tickets for the upper levels. It was an extra 25 or so euro for us to buy them again to get to the top, but the money wasn't the issue. It took so long to get through the purchase line that the tour moved on without us and by the time we got to the top, saw the sights, and got to the cocktail lounge our scheduled cocktail time was over. Of course no refunds, no rescheduling, and when I complained on their website I got no answer, they just deleted my comment.

So whenever I have the opportunity now I tell people DON'T use Viator, they suck!

Old 07-14-2018, 04:25 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
Heard when booking tours best to go to the source. Nothing wrong with a middle person just a lot of things can become missing or not communicated. Trip Advisor post the agency/business running the tour and then can research that agency/business.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:45 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,608,065 times
Your tentative plan sounds like a great one. I've had very good experiences with Viator in several countries - LOVE it - yeah you can find the actual local tour company but I always like the convenience of Viator for finding great activities. In Paris, try the baguette cooking class. I used Viator to book that and it was so much fun, highlight of the trip. I haven't had a bad experience with Viator and I travel solo a lot (though didn't in Paris). Only have had trouble when I've needed to cancel but I seem to remember them trying to work with me.

Get to the Louvre when they open and head immediately to the Mona Lisa to avoid massive crowds.

I was with my mother in Paris and she couldn't really do the Metro (few escalators/elevators there - many stairs) - but the bus system in Paris is very easy and it's fun to see the sights that way. We stayed part of the time in a hotel and part of the time in an AirBnB elsewhere in the city.

I wouldn't bother with a travel agent, those poor people are now obsolete. You can do just fine on your own with tripadvisor, viator, and google.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:46 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,608,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
If either of you speak any French, brush up on your vocabulary and know at least simple phrases of polite greetings and questions.

We noticed that in shops and restaurants knowing the protocol of greeting the shopkeepers and ordering your meal in French made a huge difference to us. We were treated with courtesy and patience everywhere. Our favorite experience was in a small bakery near our flat where the family of shopkeepers spoke no English but we all managed. Another restaurant owner corrected our French phrasing a couple of times (helpfully) and enthusiastically greeted us upon a return visit.
Agree! And apparently my French was so labored that once the restaurant owner immediately said "it's ok, I speak English..."

Old 07-14-2018, 08:20 PM

7,364 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
In my opinion, you have a very aggressive schedule. Remember, this is your honeymoon; which is a time to just spend time with your new spouse. Take it easy. You are never going to see everything, and if you try, you will just be exhausted. Enjoy what you see; spend a little extra time just wandering around neighborhoods, stop and have a glass of wine, and just enjoy the lovely city.

I agree this is aggressive. Jet lag. It is going to take time to adjust to the time difference.

The joy of Paris is walking around and exploring. There is something about Paris that make schedules unnecessary. If you looking at a map, it changes the trip.

You probably want to have the most wonderful honeymoon planned. It is going to wonderful regardless of what you do or see in Paris.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Skip the TA and please do not use Viator. They are very overpriced and you can buy the same tickets directly from the websites.

Do buy in advance tickets to the Eiffel Tower and the Arc D'Triomphe. Check out the website for the Eiffel Tower and make sure that you buy the tickets for the Summit. It can be tough getting tickets during peak tourist season. There's no metro stop really close by, but there's buses that drop you off near the entrance (forgot the numbers of the bus). If you are under 30, there's free or reduced prices for admissions for various attractions. For romance, The Paris Opera House is an absolute must see and right around the corner is a small perfume museum. While there, walk a block to the Galeries Layfette. They have a rooftop garden/bar during the summer months with tours only in English. Buy your tickets for the Palace Opera House Tour in English in advance. Those sell out.

When going on the food tour in the Latin Quarter, check out the creperies. I also enjoyed the Marais District.

The Louvre is open late on Wednesdays and I think Fridays.

Allow extra time for going through security checks.

Another side trip outside of Paris, but not too far is the village of Chartres. Check out the Luxenbourg Gardens.

I found Paris and the public transportation system very easy to navigate, but I am used to big cities.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:43 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
Thinking of a trip to The Palace of Fontainebleau...Definitely worth a trip. Heard easy to get go by train and once at the Station shuttles can take you to The Palace of Fontainebleau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel