Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times

Advertisements

I've driven frequently on U.S. interstates for various road trips up and down the east coast and midwest. I'm going to be driving through Canada on a trip between Buffalo and Michigan. Is there anything I should know as far as what to expect on the roads or during the trip that would be any different from a trip on the U.S. interstates? I know about the border crossings and documentation I'll need, so I'm not asking about that -- just anything I should be prepared for when I'm driving through Canada that would be unexpected? I can't imagine it will be much different, but I'm at a point where I don't know what I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:20 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Well, for one thing, speeds and distances are measured in Kilometers, not Miles

See https://goo.gl/maps/C2UXGjjp8Vt

100 KPH = 62 MPH

At least they do drive on the right hand side of road ;-)

Also if using the 401 or 403 around Toronto, these are some of the busiest freeways in North America, 8 or more lanes wide, with local and express lanes.

More tips here: https://www.tripsavvy.com/driving-in-canada-1482154

Old 07-24-2018, 09:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 654,003 times
Looking at Google Maps there is Canadian Highway 3 that will allow you to go from Buffalo to Windsor and then Detroit. I haven't been on that route but it will allow you to avoid much of the Hamilton and Toronto traffic because it passes a good deal south and southwest of those areas.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Any tips for driving through Canada?

BTDT...
  1. VERY expensive (fuel / food)
  2. VERY FAR!!! and a LONG ways between fuel stations (thus I like to use my 1250 mile range evil diesel VW for Canada road trips)
  3. LOTS of trees (lining the highway for DAYs / WEEKS!!!) i.e. few vistas on main route.
  4. Great Campgrounds CLEAN!!!
  5. Nice people for when you get stranded (you will get stranded...)

Old 07-24-2018, 12:52 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Thanks, all! I'll be south of Toronto -- looks like on the 403 and 402. I plan to get gas in New York before I cross over, but I know I'll have to get gas somewhere along the way.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,944 times
Can anyone confirm that it's illegal in all Canada to turn right at a red stop light? The one time I drove there I assumed that that was the case, but that was 3-4 years ago.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Can anyone confirm that it's illegal in all Canada to turn right at a red stop light? The one time I drove there I assumed that that was the case, but that was 3-4 years ago.
Unless there's a sign that says No Right Turn on Red, it's not illegal.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
1) Obey the speed limits as they really do enforce it.
2) Carry a proof of insurance as you may need it.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I've only ever driven in the west in Canada, all over British Columbia, but it was just like driving in the states. Nothing confusing or weird that I ever recall. I used to live on the Canadian border in WA, and drove into Canada quite often. We'd even cross the border just to go to McDonald's with my daughter lol. I don't know if eastern Canada would be any different, but I doubt it.

One thing I was really amazed with, was that the highway between the Vancouver area and Oyama in the Okanagan Valley, has a tall chain link deer fence the entire way. We're talking about 200 miles of a perfectly pristine maintained very expensive fence. I can't imagine anywhere in the states where you'd see that. Goes to show what you can do when you tax the middle class 50%.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:01 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I've driven frequently on U.S. interstates for various road trips up and down the east coast and midwest. I'm going to be driving through Canada on a trip between Buffalo and Michigan. Is there anything I should know as far as what to expect on the roads or during the trip that would be any different from a trip on the U.S. interstates? I know about the border crossings and documentation I'll need, so I'm not asking about that -- just anything I should be prepared for when I'm driving through Canada that would be unexpected? I can't imagine it will be much different, but I'm at a point where I don't know what I don't know.
We do have modern highways here. We stopped using dog-sleds because climate change melted too much of the snow. (Not meant to be snotty, just poking some fun). The highways are nice. A big plus is the max speed is at times 65-70 mph. On a straight one I usually speed to 80-85. Watch out. The speeds are in kilometers per hour. Multiply by point 6 to get the mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel