Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:36 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times

Advertisements

I also have Verizon Wireless here in the US and would not recommend their International Plan because of the bad experience that I have had using it when abroad last year. Leave your US Verizon Wireless phone here or turn it off completely when traveling. Go with the above suggestions to buy a cheap phone with minutes at Tesco, or get an unlocked phone that works over there and use a sim card. If you buy an unlocked phone, be sure it is an international variant, not a North American variant.

The only time I use a debit card, here, there or anywhere, is at an ATM machine. Knowing what I know about banks, security and travel, I would never use one for purchases, anywhere. If you take a debit card and use it an ATM machine over there, make sure the ATM machine is in a bank, or a bank lobby. Thieves put skimmers to steal your card info on those ATM machines everywhere, even in fancy hotel lobbies filled with marble. Don't ask me how I know.

Many banks that issue credit cards have cards with no international transaction fees. Some have annual fees, while some do not. Find one that suits your lifestyle best.

Happy travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 12:49 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I also have Verizon Wireless here in the US and would not recommend their International Plan because of the bad experience that I have had using it when abroad last year. Leave your US Verizon Wireless phone here or turn it off completely when traveling. Go with the above suggestions to buy a cheap phone with minutes at Tesco, or get an unlocked phone that works over there and use a sim card. If you buy an unlocked phone, be sure it is an international variant, not a North American variant.
There's really no need to buy another phone to use a prepaid sim card. You can use an existing phone. Once you take the Verizon sim card out, it's no longer working on their network.

A tip to the OP, when you take out your Verizon SIM card, put it somewhere safe. I had a little zippered pocket in my wallet that I don't use, so I put it in there with a paperclip so that I could easily switch out sim cards when I landed back in the US. I learned that lesson the one time I returned to the US and couldn't hail an Uber because I couldn't figure out a way to pop out the sim slot.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:02 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,779 times
If possible, get a T-Mobile phone. You pay no extra for text and data (Limited to 2G) and phone for only 25 cents per minute in Europe. It is even good in Russia or small countries like Estonia.

I used 3 credit cards when I traveled in Europe which none of them charges the 3% foreign transaction fee. Capitalone, Barclays Arrival and Chase Preferred. The former gives you 1.5% rebate on every purchase while the latter two offer 2% rebate on restaurants, hotels and transportation. In my experience, Barclays has the best exchange rate.

If you intend to visit any Costco in Europe (I pumped my gas in Costco in Reykjavik), remember to bring your Costco Citi Visa too. Any transaction in Costco worldwide will be not be assessed the 3% foreign transaction fee.

And at least you have to bring two credit cards because in many cases, you may be asked to input your pin number. For example, I used the machine in Tube station in London to top off my Oyster Card. It asked for pin number for one card, but it did not ask pin for another.

Don't use debit card. And you can only dispute charges if you use credit card. Now I am disputing certain transaction during my recent trip to Europe. The Credit Card company is dealing on behalf of me and I don't need to pay for the charges until there is an outcome.

If you live in a tourist city, don't go exchange money in the bank but in Duty Free. I exchanged my pound and Euro there which rate is extremely favorable.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:51 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
I got a fair amount of Euro in cash in the US at my bank before leaving and wish I had done more. Many places do not take credit cards in Portugal, and in that case you have to go to the ATM, and pay a heftier rate. Had to do this a couple of times, not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind.

Otherwise, use a no-international fee card if you can get your hands on one before you go.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:14 PM

189 posts, read 166,197 times
FYI you don't need to actually call your credit card companies if you are travelling abroad. You can do the notifications online.

Good point about the chip and pin cards. Even if you have a chip, you likely wont be able to use it at gas stations or other pay terminals in Europe. Most US chip cards are not on the same system as the rest of the "chip and pin" world. If you are not sure about yours, it probably is NOT.

Another hint...travel often and always have some spare Euros to get you started on your next trip!

Old 09-05-2018, 06:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Another point about the phone/SIM card that was glossed over: your phone needs to be unlocked from Verizon in order to use with another SIM, make sure of this.

A lot of local places in Portugal like cafes, etc are cash only, not like here, carry enough cash.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:27 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
A lot of current phones are now unlocked. I had no problems switching sims on my iPhone 6 (Verizon) when I went to Guam last year.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,868 times
I use travel credit card with no foreign transaction fee (earning points on top of that) whenever possible and withdraw small local cash from the ATM using my debit card.

I put my phone on flight mode and use when there is free wifi.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:49 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,364 times
I would bring maybe £100 pounds and €100 in cash. Use a credit card otherwise. Depending on the length of your trip, you might want to get a worldwide credit card. If you are only going for a couple of weeks or so, you should be able to get away with just WiFi, but if you believe that you REALLY need your phone, just get a SIM card.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:52 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
If you have T-Mobile, you will automatically get almost the same privileges in Europe as in US at no additional cost. T-Mobile plan is good in 210 countries. I didn't know this and stupid AT&T would charge an extra $20 a day per line, for providing service in Europe.

For Credit cards, I used Capital One credit cards simply because it has no international transaction fee. Otherwise, every other card will charge you international transaction fee every time you use their card.
Barclay card and Chase Sapphire card and many others have NO international transaction fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel