Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2018, 07:46 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'm surprised how many people are answering this with the Alamo.

I'll grant that it's not what it's often portrayed to be, this massive fort out in the desert. But as a free place to kill some time and find out a few interesting historical tidbits while you're already in downtown San Antonio, it's perfect.
I visited San Antonio when I was a student in College Station, not bad for a day trip(2-hour drive).

People spend hundreds of dollars flying into San Antonio are going to be disappointed, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 08:28 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I visited San Antonio when I was a student in College Station, not bad for a day trip(2-hour drive).

People spend hundreds of dollars flying into San Antonio are going to be disappointed, though.
I had a lot of fun there, but I was there but I didn’t go to many historic places, we pretty much drank our way around Riverwalk and shopped lol. I did go to Alamo because we were staying right near it. I was there with some people from Texas so that made it more interesting. Texans are more proud of their history and know more about it than any city I’ve ever been in!

We did a horse and carriage ride and had the best guide, it was one of the higjlihts. They have the best Goodwill I’ve ever been in I discovered it while walking from Riverwalk area to that Mexican marketplace, I can’t recall the name. Everything was color coordinated and it also had a cyber cafe where I had a chicken salad with alfalfa sprouts on pita while I checked my email, plus I found a great pair of shoes. It was also a great city because for some reason I have never been able to figure out, I had more men try to pick me up there than any city I’ve ever been in, including other cities in Texas.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:03 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I had a lot of fun there, but I was there but I didn’t go to many historic places, we pretty much drank our way around Riverwalk and shopped lol. I did go to Alamo because we were staying right near it. I was there with some people from Texas so that made it more interesting. Texans are more proud of their history and know more about it than any city I’ve ever been in!

We did a horse and carriage ride and had the best guide, it was one of the higjlihts. They have the best Goodwill I’ve ever been in I discovered it while walking from Riverwalk area to that Mexican marketplace, I can’t recall the name. Everything was color coordinated and it also had a cyber cafe where I had a chicken salad with alfalfa sprouts on pita while I checked my email, plus I found a great pair of shoes. It was also a great city because for some reason I have never been able to figure out, I had more men try to pick me up there than any city I’ve ever been in, including other cities in Texas.
Actually, Alamo isn't that bad. There are five missions in San Antonio if my memory serves, I visited all of them so I had some good time. My favorite is Mission San Jose, a nice place to take pictures.

Riverwalk is scenic and romantic, but most of the restaurants there are subpar. I'm glad you had a great time.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:40 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Any place with an abundance of water parks

Old 11-04-2018, 04:35 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Eliza! Lol

It's priceless even if you don't get why.
Well, right. It's not the look or condition of painting that makes it special. But some people don't recognize things like this.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:41 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Not what you were expecting? I would be interested to know what you were expecting?
Another one. What do people except when they see Stonehenge? I think it is the fault of "Hollywood" type glorification. People think these wonders are so breathtaking on tv, and then when in reality it's just some rocks stacked on top of each other and they get disappointed. Lol...they are failing to see beyond that.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 11-04-2018 at 05:04 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 04:44 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
People think these wonders are so breathtaking on tv,

LOL usually because they've literally heard hundreds of times that "this will take your breath away!" So they kind of expect that to actually happen.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:28 AM

104 posts, read 122,541 times
"I guess I'm a Pollyanna or perhaps travel to tourist sites with different expectations but I've been trying real hard to come up with a disappointment on location. The best I can do is Hollywood, 30+ years ago... ho hum, nothing much there really.

But I think I'm so jazzed up whenever I travel to a new place, especially when taking a break in my working years, that I get by on just novelty & change of scene pretty well. But I simply don't wait on long lines anymore, period. Haven't missed anything although the Sistine Chapel would've been nice to see, but not for hours in a crowd after paying a hefty price."

I agreed with this wholeheartedly.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Another one. What do people except when they see Stonehenge? I think it is the fault of "Hollywood" type glorification. People think these wonders are so breathtaking on tv, and then when in reality it's just some rocks stacked on top of each other and they get disappointed. Lol...they are failing to see beyond that.
I liked Stonehenge more than I thought I would. I think it was because we spent a couple days in the area and got a sense that it was just more than the one site; it was such a very old area where the mountains themselves had been worn down to nubs of hills and there were so many other historic sites from different eras (Old Sarum and other stone sites, Salisbury Cathedral and its Magna Carta, Stourhead Gardens, etc.) that we got such a sense of place about how long people had been living and prospering in those rolling hills.

The Hoover Dam is an amazing feat of engineering, but is also a tourist trap of the highest order.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Venice was over-rated. It's polluted, dirty and riddled with pickpockets, beggars and people selling cheap trinkets on the street. It's just gross. I would never go again.
This is how I feel about most of the major Italian cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel