Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,391,999 times

Advertisements

Pyramids at Giza - Big triangular piles of stones

Grand Canyon - An inside-out mountain

The Kremlin - Some onions on a brick house

Venice - Any city in a flood zone after spring runoff

The Alps - Rocks. With snow on them

Rembrandt Museum - Cigar Logo prototypes

/s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 09:23 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,097,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

/s
If Grand Canyon and Pyramids at Giza couldn’t impress you then I am really intrigued to know what were a few of your best tourist locations? Some fishing trip or beach ?

Old 11-02-2018, 09:32 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times
Road to Hana, Maui - there’s nothing about the Seven Sacred pools. It’s a scam. Even the local tour guide said so.

Windsor Castle - underwhelmed by the ground. Maybe it’s nice to see the changing guard.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:07 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,888,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

The Kremlin - Some onions on a brick house

Venice - Any city in a flood zone after spring runoff

The Alps - Rocks. With snow on them

Rembrandt Museum - Cigar Logo prototypes

/s
The Alps is amazing with beautiful jagged peaks. Nowhere in N America can compare

Old 11-02-2018, 10:29 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,190,208 times
It's been said before, but I'll say it again Mount Rushmore was a let down. If you're going to visit the Black Hills anyway, then I guess it's worth a stop, but it just wasn't worth all the hype. I've seen it once, I never need to see it again.

Disneyland isn't worth the cost of admission to fight with the hundreds of people in lines, and the rides are o.k., but not all that thrilling, and not worth the wait. I'll never forget waiting for over an hour to ride the Peter Pan ride and when it was over even my four year old was unimpressed and said "That's it?"

Old 11-02-2018, 10:42 PM

641 posts, read 1,074,848 times
Taos Pueblo. The Indians are noticeably resentful and contemptuous of the tourists, who pay to come in and look at their 500 year old mud homes and buy their silver jewelry made in North Carolina. Seriously, a racket, and the natives don't like you.

Funny to see some of the people who come in with good attitudes, ooh and ah at everything there, which really isn't much. A couple of friendly tour guides will regale you with the historic reasons they don't like you.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:30 AM

23,243 posts, read 29,093,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
The Alps is amazing with beautiful jagged peaks. Nowhere in N America can compare
I haven't really seen the Alps, but if I did, I would be disappointed for sure. Why? When you've seen the Andes and Himalayan mountains, those Alps will look like hills to me, just like the Catalina Mountains here in Tucson.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:44 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,595,815 times
I don't think Nn2036 is talking about elevation when they say nothing in North America compares to the Alps, the Alps aren't that tall compared to many other mountain ranges and Denali is certainly much higher.

I assume they mean the appearance, which is subjective of course.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:12 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,728,224 times
Easy folks. The '/s' at the end of ABQConvict's post indicates the post was tongue in cheek.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:50 AM

12,871 posts, read 9,096,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I guess I'm a Pollyanna or perhaps travel to tourist sites with different expectations but I've been trying real hard to come up with a disappointment on location. The best I can do is Hollywood, 30+ years ago... ho hum, nothing much there really.

But I think I'm so jazzed up whenever I travel to a new place, especially when taking a break in my working years, that I get by on just novelty & change of scene pretty well. But I simply don't wait on long lines anymore, period. Haven't missed anything although the Sistine Chapel would've been nice to see, but not for hours in a crowd after paying a hefty price.
I'm with you. Very few natural places have disappointed me. Even loved the Alamo because I understood the point. But then I can find the beauty in a single leaf or a mountain range; in the architecture or the history. Wonder what so many people are expecting at these tourist locations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel