Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:30 AM

695 posts, read 714,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
You might benefit from watching a little of this one:

https://oli.org/video/view/stop-trac...ty-connections
Okay, I watched your video link--ALL OF IT! BooHoo. What exactly happened here? A guy got hit and killed by a train and suddenly it's because he was walking along the tracks. NO! He had in ear buds and was listening to LOUD music. He didn't hear the train whistle. He's dead because he made the choice to walk along the tracks while DEAF!

This is equivalent to walking across a busy street without looking both ways first. Hobo Stobe in my movie was an alcoholic. He drank like a fish while hopping trains. He made that choice. It was HIS decision, and his responsibility. RIP Stobe.

Now what about bike lanes along busy streets in crowded cities where cars are whizzing by you at 30+ MPH and most of them DISTRACTED texting on their smart phones? The ones that are actually paying attention to you, are pi$$ed off because you're slowing them down by even being in the bike lane and the laws says you must be 3-feet away when you pass, so they cut you off or drive carelessly around you.

You can't see the cars coming up behind you, and plenty of bikers also have ear buds in so are DEAF.

What's the bottom line here? It all boils down to is there money being made or lost? Riding trains is FREE and also makes it so you cannot be TRACKED or WATCHED so you are FREE to engage in behaviors you enjoy without being judged.

Bike riding is also free, but you are definitely in public view (and hated by motorists in a hurry) unless you're on a secluded side street where bike lanes belong.

This is my opinion, but the more RESTRICTIVE society gets, the more interested I get in hopping a freight train. I will surely NEVER get into an autonomous car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 02:22 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
And then there is Bangladesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsWndiDCzU

Old 12-03-2018, 09:47 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
A few years ago in Columbia, SC where I lived at the time, four guys hopped a train which was stopped at the time. Their hope was to ride it a mile or two to near where they lived. By the time the train was moving, it was going too fast to hop off where they intended. I believe the train finally stoped near Clinton, SC some 60 miles away. Three of the four were hanging on for dear life for the entire trip. Their buddy fell between the cars about halfway between the two cities. When I saw the story on the news, there were tarps along the tracks covering different parts of his body.

I've never had a romanticized notion of hopping trains even when I was younger. I guess because I have always liked trains I've been aware of their inherent danger. Oh, Doctor Z, you are right and wrng abut the guy wearing ear buds on the railroad tracks. Yes, he was stupid to have them in. But had he not been on railroad tracks, he'd still be walking among us. Probably getting in our way on a sidewalk.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:38 PM

695 posts, read 714,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
A few years ago in Columbia, SC where I lived at the time, four guys hopped a train which was stopped at the time. Their hope was to ride it a mile or two to near where they lived. By the time the train was moving, it was going too fast to hop off where they intended. I believe the train finally stoped near Clinton, SC some 60 miles away. Three of the four were hanging on for dear life for the entire trip. Their buddy fell between the cars about halfway between the two cities. When I saw the story on the news, there were tarps along the tracks covering different parts of his body.

I've never had a romanticized notion of hopping trains even when I was younger. I guess because I have always liked trains I've been aware of their inherent danger. Oh, Doctor Z, you are right and wrng abut the guy wearing ear buds on the railroad tracks. Yes, he was stupid to have them in. But had he not been on railroad tracks, he'd still be walking among us. Probably getting in our way on a sidewalk.
As with anything, you have to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING before attempting it. This is especially true if what you are going to do is inherently dangerous.

With that said, people still play with guns knowing little about them, explore caves without knowing what kind of gas may be in them, J-walk across busy streets without looking, and Speed (like me) during major snow storms when roads are very slippery to name a few examples.

Bottom line, I'm NOT the world's Baby-Sitter and I really resent Government and Special Interest Groups trying to FORCE me to be one.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWcKJM-bbsQ

I recently found out about Stobe The Hobo, and I love his videos. I used to hop freight trains in Milwaukee but I rode them around the city and only got on and off when they were going very very slow. That's the key to doing it safely. I had a friend who was more adventurous and would climb to tops of buildings, billboards and would jump from train car to train car while it was moving. That's crazy but I still love trains although I am not a "foamer" but I still love everything about them. Stobe had incredible amounts of knowledge about the in's and outs of trains and train yards and procedures.

Shoestring is another hobo that is pretty popular on the tube.

Catch you on the westbound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDgaVt22bCg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel