Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:28 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Definitely. Even Orlando itself has some decent neighborhoods and interesting places to hang out away from the (boring) tourist suburbs.
I went to Orlando and Miami last month and I didn't even visit any theme park.

Florida is warm! That's enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
I just went to Disney world and it was packed. This was on a supposed time with less visitors for holiday season. It is impossible to enjoy Disney without fast passes because waiting 60-90 minutes for one ride is horrible. I went to all the main parks. Ticket prices go up because of wage increases and other cost increases but also to combat overcrowding. Problem is Florida residents have access to discounted tickets and of course they are more likely to go at these reduced prices than people who pay full fare. Even so if you have kids Disney especially the magic kingdom, primarily the magic kingdom in my opinion, is a magical place and if tickets were 200 dollars per day people would still pay it. It is what it is.
With the demand-based pricing, it is in Disney’s interest to lie about slow times of the year so they can jack up the admission rate in response to the surge in demand.

Even before this pricing model, the “slow times” were no longer slow beginning the minute they were posted online. It’s one of the first things people research when planning a trip to Disney.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:59 AM

654 posts, read 631,347 times
Disney is horrific in all aspects. It now is pushing its globalist agenda on its news coverage and even with ESPN. I wouldn't have wanted to go to Disney World anyway, so I know it is not any skin off their teeth, but I would absolutely never go there now given their pushing their agenda which is antagonistic to the well being of the majority of people in the US and the world for that matter.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
I went to Disney World once 35 years ago with others so I had to go. It was ok, I've never had an instant where I wanted to revisit again, maybe if I was 10 years old, or if I was pretty well-off financially & had children that I wanted to throw $$$ at.

Otoh I had a coworker who lived for almost annual visits with his family, he thought it was a fantastic vacation. He didn't have a passport & no interest in ever getting one. Euro-Land, or whatever that curated & corporatized travel-simulation confection is called is all he ever wants to know about the world beyond borders. Different strokes....

Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Disney is horrific in all aspects. It now is pushing its globalist agenda on its news coverage and even with ESPN. I wouldn't have wanted to go to Disney World anyway, so I know it is not any skin off their teeth, but I would absolutely never go there now given their pushing their agenda which is antagonistic to the well being of the majority of people in the US and the world for that matter.
As a full-fledged conspiracy theorist, I am interested in knowing exactly what globalist agenda they're pushing (I don't have cable TV).

Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
This article confirms what some have been saying: Disney is going after the wealthy end of the tourist trade.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...Gbd?li=BBnb7Kz

Decent business decision, but hard on your average family.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:42 AM

117 posts, read 161,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
This article confirms what some have been saying: Disney is going after the wealthy end of the tourist trade.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...Gbd?li=BBnb7Kz

Decent business decision, but hard on your average family.
I remember seeing an advertisement for Disney on TV, maybe about 15-20 years ago. It showed an average family, mom/dad and two kids, with the mom and dad sitting at a computer trying to figure out how much it would cost to take their family on a vacation to Disney. This might have been around the time they opened their first "value" resorts, providing an opportunity for the most budget-conscious families to visit and have the immersive experience of staying on site. The parents price out a vacation package for all four of them for less than $2000, and exclaim "We can afford this!" And then the scene cuts to the two kids imagining themselves walking into the Magic Kingdom, being greeted by the characters and other attractions. I'm sure you will never see an advertisement like that again.

I went to Disney about every 2-3 years throughout my childhood, as my mom enjoys Disney very much. I have a lot of great memories from those trips, but I also know things were quite a bit different back then. I now have kids which are at/approaching the ideal target age for Disney. We actually have been to the FL parks twice and CA park once with them, but they were too young to remember most of those visits. I've grown pretty intolerant of crowds, and have been very disappointed the last couple of visits how few things you can do unless you utilize FastPasses, which requires advance planning and has limits on how many you can use each day. I'm still floored that you have to book FastPasses two months (!) ahead of time for WDW. I know this is catering to the people who really enjoy putting a lot of effort into planning Disney trips, but that is not me. We can afford it, but personally I feel prices (and crowds) have crossed the line into not really being "worth it." I know it is worth it to a lot of others, and that is why Disney has been smart in the moves they have made the last number of years. Their target market has become the perpetual Disney theme park lovers with the desire and money to go on regular repeat visits, and the people who see Disney as the quintessential vacation destination they owe their kids, and can scrape together the money for at least one visit. There is a large enough pool of said people to continue to make things profitable for Disney. My husband still enjoys Disney (he's pretty flexible, and enjoys everything!), so I'm sure sometime in the next few years we will take a week long, stay on site trip. But unlike my childhood, I will likely see it as more of a "one and done" trip rather than something we do repeatedly on a regular basis.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
it's absolutely insane that families will spend over $600 (including lunch, drinks etc.) to take 4 people to Disneyland for a day or in case of getting a Signature Passport pass that has a decent selection of days it's $4600 for the entire family.. for a pass? Do people actually do this?

Old 02-14-2019, 01:15 PM

284 posts, read 234,634 times
Eh, I've been to WDW more than a dozen times, I'll be 50 this year and still love it, especially the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot in the fall! We've done week long trips there, but also shorter weekend trips or combined a day at Disney with another vacation. I even did a 10K there, the RunDisney people are hardcore fanatics! I've also been to many other destinations, both in the US and abroad. Next month for spring break my 16 year old daughter and I are going to China for 10 days, starting in Beijing and ending in Shanghai with a one day visit to Shanghai Disneyland. I can't wait!

Old 02-14-2019, 08:01 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Multiple choice:

( ) Disney parks exist so you can have fun.
( ) Disney parks exist so they can make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel