Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 06:18 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,137,810 times

Advertisements

Disney wouldn't be much fun with twice as many people at any given time. Raising the prices not only provides for improvements and keeping the park spotlessly clean, it also keeps the experience more relaxing. My fam moved to Anaheim the year after Disneyland opened. Back in the day, we kids went alone as young teenagers to visit the main street shops and buy gifts for out of state cousins. We loved Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Pirates of the Caribbean, the boat ride through the "jungle", and later of course, the Matterhorn ride. Awesome memories. It used to be cheap to get in with the real cost being for the "books" of ride tickets. But it could be that way then because the population was more reasonable. That would not work today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Fast Passes are free at Disney, but when everybody has free Fast Passes, nobody has any real advantage.
Fast Passes make a HUGE difference.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM

2,606 posts, read 3,407,510 times
Went to Disneyworld a few years ago with 2 other families. I pray that I never, ever have to go back there. It's always crowded, it's hot, the lines are long, everything is very expensive and it's a draining experience. If you don't like the prices DO NOT go.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
Quote:
I went to Disney with my parents when I was 20 years. Unfortunately, none of us wanted to go back even though the experience wasn't bad. It was crowded(not as crowded as these days) but we loved the firework part. Going to Disney is like watching a movie for me, no reason to redo it.

Disney is just for kids.
That's where we disagree. Disney was a fantastic experience for the kid in all of us, including this over forty year old.

The crowds didn't really bother me or the kids amazingly. Everyone seemed to be in a great mood even while waiting. We managed to ride as much as we wanted on most days except for July 4 (ugh).

Fireworks and Frozen thing was really nice for our daughters.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Fast Passes are free at Disney, but when everybody has free Fast Passes, nobody has any real advantage.
They dont give out an unlimited number of Fast Passes, so yes there is an advantage.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's where we disagree. Disney was a fantastic experience for the kid in all of us, including this over forty year old.
I'm with you. I'm 44 and making a solo WDW trip this March. Looking forward to it! It's definitely not just for kids!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:24 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,049,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm with you. I'm 44 and making a solo WDW trip this March. Looking forward to it! It's definitely not just for kids!
I agree! We go with our adult kids and grandkids numerous times throughout the year and have a blast! We also go on our own and have just as much fun.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:30 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,095,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Went to Disneyworld a few years ago with 2 other families. I pray that I never, ever have to go back there. It's always crowded, it's hot, the lines are long, everything is very expensive and it's a draining experience. If you don't like the prices DO NOT go.
Amusement Parks are generally the most over-rated vacations, IMO.

Many families are pushed to go because the kids are lured into it by peer pressure, and all the fake and shallow glitter they watch on TV.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 939,594 times
There's something special about Disneyland. Disney says it's "the happiest place on earth" and of course that's an overstatement. But I get what they're trying to say. For sure there are people who would pay even more than $200 per ticket for the experience. Not everyone feels the Disneyland magic when they go there but so many do that it makes me wish I'd bought Disney stock years ago.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:03 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,274,885 times
Quote:
I went to Disney with my parents when I was 20 years. Unfortunately, none of us wanted to go back even though the experience wasn't bad. It was crowded(not as crowded as these days) but we loved the firework part. Going to Disney is like watching a movie for me, no reason to redo it.

Disney is just for kids.
I was fortunate enough to attend a few meetings of my professional society at WDW. I say "fortunate" because I could check it out with someone else paying the tab. It was crowded, plastic, a constant commercial for Disney, and , of course, expensive even then. OK, I loved the pool at the Contemporary Resort. I also spent an enjoyable free afternoon at River Country (a water park) and Discovery Island (a nature preserve), both long gone. Well, not much money in a nature preserve where there are no snack bars or souvenir stands in order to provide the critters a peaceful, uncluttered environment. No wonder they closed it.

Sooo.. DS wanted to go when he was 7. I eventually gave in but his attitude after that was, "We went. We had a good time. We don't need to go again." As he got older I took him to Bermuda, Montreal and Rome and funded trips to Australia and Spain that he took with others. It was more important to me that he experience the real benefits of travel- feeling what it's like to be in a place where English is not the dominant language, visiting historic sites, encountering the occasional panhandlers and surly subway clerks. SO much more interesting than an artificial environment and 24/7 exposure to the Disney marketing machine.

I could go on forever but I'll stop here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel