Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 03:38 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

We just got a one year temp residence visa for Mexico, literally took 15 minutes.

The "turtle up until pandemic passes" mode is officially engaged until at least summer 2021.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 11:47 AM

304 posts, read 151,520 times
Quote:
Or a Mailboxes Etc type of mail forwarding "address" with the occasional return to a local AirBnB?
Mailboxes etc. and similar are fine for just mail forwarding, but you can't use them for your "legal" address anymore. Every credit card agency, bank, driver's license bureau, tax authority, etc. runs addresses through online databases that identifies the mail forwarding services and other businesses for what they are. The best way to fly below the radar is to find someone with an ordinary street address to let you use their address, even if it is only for the few legal things that require it like taxes and a driver's license. They can create a "lease" for you that indicates you rent a room from them or something, which you might need for applying for a driver's license or credit card or bank account. I recently went through this when I moved my driver's license from another state. You not only have to prove you are a US citizen, but also provide multiple proofs of your residence address, like utility bills, a lease, or bank statements. Mailing services won't cut it. I even found that ordering a cell phone they would only send it to my legal street address.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:45 PM

I use mail forwarding service for everything, but I haven't applied for anything new in ages. It's all existing accounts, and my driver's licence doesn't expire until like 2033.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
It's all existing accounts, and my driver's licence doesn't expire until like 2033.
Just make sure it is a "Real ID" driver's license if you are a US citizen or you won't be able to fly with it, or enter federal buildings, or cross the border in or out of the country. Full enforcement of Real ID begins in October 2021 I believe, but I think it is already being enforced for various things. For the Real ID you have to prove your actual physical residence address.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:14 PM

447 posts, read 496,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's funny, we started this trip in 2015 flying from Phoenix to... Tapei. Did a clockwise loop spending a week at every major city on the island (and some small towns) before finally heading off to Philippines.

I honestly can't think of many better places as a jumping off point from USA for a world run, Taiwan is so underrated.
Nice to read your posts in the thread. You have us citizenship, but many places like Taiwan only allows 90 days staying. How do you renew while in Taiwan?

Old 09-22-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
Just make sure it is a "Real ID" driver's license if you are a US citizen or you won't be able to fly with it, or enter federal buildings, or cross the border in or out of the country. Full enforcement of Real ID begins in October 2021 I believe, but I think it is already being enforced for various things. For the Real ID you have to prove your actual physical residence address.
If one doesn't have a permanent home they always have their passport with them when traveling, that's what we use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
You have us citizenship, but many places like Taiwan only allows 90 days staying. How do you renew while in Taiwan?
With Taiwan I honestly don't know since we didn't need to renew. For others we did visa runs or got an extension in the country.

It's an interesting question though, how many times could you show up in Taiwan and expect to be given a 90 visa exemption? Visa runs wouldn't be easy from there (at least not "put left foot in Myanmar" for 5 seconds easy) but a round trip to the Philippines every three months wouldn't kill a budget. I wonder if they would let you do that indefinitely.

I remember Colombia had a weird calendar year dealie, so people would get their 90s day but couldn't come back for awhile unless they were lucky enough to arrive late summer. Then they could go hang out in Ecuador until January 1st and roll back in triumphantly for 90 more days. Not sure if still works that way.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
If one doesn't have a permanent home they always have their passport with them when traveling, that's what we use.
You need a driver's license too if you want to drive, and when you go to get one renewed now it will be a Real ID and will require you to prove your actual physical residence address. Even if you don't have one, plan on where you will call "home" for purposes of your license and choose a spot that you can also call your tax home. Make everything look just like a "normal" person and you will make life much easier.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
You need a driver's license too if you want to drive, and when you go to get one renewed now it will be a Real ID and will require you to prove your actual physical residence address. Even if you don't have one, plan on where you will call "home" for purposes of your license and choose a spot that you can also call your tax home. Make everything look just like a "normal" person and you will make life much easier.
My driver's licence expires in 2033.

I have no idea where will be in life, or geographically at that time. It's pointless to plan on anything related to it right now.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:05 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's an interesting question though, how many times could you show up in Taiwan and expect to be given a 90 visa exemption? Visa runs wouldn't be easy from there (at least not "put left foot in Myanmar" for 5 seconds easy) but a round trip to the Philippines every three months wouldn't kill a budget. I wonder if they would let you do that indefinitely.
Yes, a lot of people, pre-covid, were living in Taiwan on Visa runs. But it's not as easy/certain as in some other Asian countries and it is expected to become even less so. From what I've read, many people did HK or Macau round trip flights, some would go for a few days and others would literally get off the first flight and onto the next plane coming back. iirc, there was even discussion of someone who managed the round trip flight without actually getting on the flights...they exited Taiwan in the terminal and found a way to swing around and enter back through immigration at the airport, however that loophole has been closed.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
there was even discussion of someone who managed the round trip flight without actually getting on the flights...they exited Taiwan in the terminal and found a way to swing around and enter back through immigration at the airport, however that loophole has been closed.
Lol I love it!

Thailand has clamped down on land crossings to prevent endless border runs, I think you now get 2 per calendar year. However it is hilarious in that similar to Taiwan-airport-U-turn-guy, when we did a visa run to Myanmar near Chiang Rai the immigration officers from Myanmar actually asked us if we really wanted to bother going in. We said no, he stamped the entry then stood up and walked across the street to put the exit stamp in as well, handed it back and we headed across the bridge back towards Thailand without even bothering with actually entering Myanmar. Thailand officials didn't even bat an eye that we had a Thailand exit from about 5 minutes earlier, they said "welcome back!" and stamped us back into Thailand then went back to slurping on their noodles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel