Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 AM

130,456 posts, read 12,124,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Since when? I have tried to do this, they take it from me every time @ JFK (& others as well). Is this like a certain airports thing?
a few years ago I brought a slice of quiche with me to the airport, & it got through security ok, & we ate it on the flight. I forget which airport.

So if you are stressed about what foods to eat, on the flight, I think it is best to bring your own, & you know what is in it. I do like the instant oatmeal idea, I used to pack my own mix of flax & chia for breakfasts, & ate that in hotel room. Gels & liquids are not allowed & some destinations will not allow fresh produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 01:29 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I did a low-sodium diet for about a year. (1000-1500 mgs a day)

It was really hard to eat out or travel. Low-sodium is almost impossible to eat out with. For traveling days, I would just bring protein bars and supplement with whatever low-sodium snacks I could buy.

I also found that people had very little sympathy for me for some reason.
They want you to feel like they do. I can literally feel my arteries constrict after eating out at certain places. And my BP becomes elevated the following day. I remember once I turned 21 or so I could not eat ramen noodles anymore because I felt dizzy and like the blood vessels in my head were swollen. I have no major health problems or congenital defects. Aside from causing issues with BP excess sodium just makes you feel bloated and lowers your immunity even on one dose.

In this new era of healthy organic food it's shocking that it's so difficult to find low sodium options.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:18 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Contact the airline and request a low sodium meal. They do special diets but need some advance warning. That's if your flight even serves meals.

Once you are where you are going, eat out of the grocery store: fresh fruit, items from the bakery, yogurt, small bottles of milk, cheese, baked chicken from the deli if they sell it, bags of trail mix.....

Once you leave the USA it is much easier to buy meals that aren't deep fried. You can request that your chop be cooked without salt.

Instead of staying at a hotel, rent a housekeeping cottage and shop and cook your own meals.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:04 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Pack your meal for the plane (I've done this lots with no problems) and rent a suite or condo with a full kitchen. You'll save money and can meet any dietary need that way. I also try to avoid too much salt (though I eat from salad bars with abandon and have never had an issue), so I feel you there. For foods to pack for the plane, try things like hardboiled eggs, string cheese (this does have salt, though), fresh fruit/veggies, maybe whole grain muffins or something like that if you're doing carbs, etc. You should be able to ask at any sit-down restaurant for them to make your food with less salt or no salt; restaurants are used to meeting requests like that.

If you are stuck with a regular hotel room, at least get one with a fridge and fill it with grocery store items that you'd eat at home that don't need to be heated. Low-sodium cottage cheese with canned pineapple (in juice, not syrup) and a hardboiled egg is a good breakfast and for lunch and dinner, try things like prepackaged cooked chicken with reduced-sodium canned beans (you'd need to get a can opener) and some veggies, something like that. You could heat that stuff up in your hotel microwave, if you have one. Or there's usually a microwave in/near the lobby you can use if you don't have one in your room. Call ahead and ask.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:54 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
I usually look ahead at a any restaurant menu. Some Saian restaurants are salty, tasty but salty. Indian food is one example.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
My default premise is that for a couple of weeks travel, your body can deal fine with an absence or surfeit of any dietary component. Unless you have a compromised medical condition to the contrary.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:39 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My default premise is that for a couple of weeks travel, your body can deal fine with an absence or surfeit of any dietary component. Unless you have a compromised medical condition to the contrary.
I just came back from a week in Florida and my digestive system is just getting back to normal after 5 days back home. If you are used to eating super healthy and organic it will not "deal fine"... I have no major health issues. Some are just more sensitive than others and in tune with their well being.

There were basically no vegetables available at the event we attended and my bowels were almost entirely inactive the whole time. Nothing severe but basically nothing was moving and as a result I had 1/2 the energy l usually do.

It's a long story but it was a sponsored event and not much choices in the menu.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:12 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Any sort of meaty keto type thing is likely going to be salted in a restaurant setting. Most people want the extra flavor provided by the salt. I had a serving of mashed potatoes at a chain restaurant tonight. They were so salty out of the kitchen as to be nearly inedible to me. I get the salt thing - other than on watermelon, I hate the taste of a lot of salt. I won't eat a lot of canned veggies or soups because of the salt.

With that said, about the best you can do with such restrictions is go into a grocery store and by raw fruit/veggies that you can eat as-is, and take things along in a cooler or fridge.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I just came back from a week in Florida and my digestive system is just getting back to normal after 5 days back home. If you are used to eating super healthy and organic it will not "deal fine"... I have no major health issues. Some are just more sensitive than others and in tune with their well being.

There were basically no vegetables available at the event we attended and my bowels were almost entirely inactive the whole time. Nothing severe but basically nothing was moving and as a result I had 1/2 the energy l usually do.

It's a long story but it was a sponsored event and not much choices in the menu.
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it.

I'm betting that if you had been told that all the good you had on your trip was organic, healthy, low salt, etc. you would have felt fine when you arrived home.

No vegetables at all at the event you attended? Its been decades since there wasn't a vegetarian option available at ANY function or restaurant I've been to. Even airlines. Ask ahead. Didn't bother to ask ahead? Eat the salad that came with dinner, eat the veggies and rice/potatoes that came with the rubber chicken.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:38 AM

74 posts, read 50,920 times
Hi,
Maintaining a healthy diet during traveling is very difficult. It is better to eat low carbs food while traveling.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel