Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

Not to start a new thread. But what rental car companies do you all prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 10:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
The one with the best price.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:01 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times
Quote:
I stay away from Sixt, Fox, Advantage, etc. due to extremely polarized reviews. Some people have good experiences, whereas others are charged for BS damages or in general have terrible customer service.

Otherwise I'm usually good with Alamo, National, Enterprise, Budget, Dollar, Avis, and any of the other "mainstream" ones I'm forgetting, then I go with the cheapest price. I still read the reviews for the specific location that I'm picking up/dropping off the car, though, before booking.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I stay away from Sixt, Fox, Advantage, etc. due to extremely polarized reviews. Some people have good experiences, whereas others are charged for BS damages or in general have terrible customer service.

Otherwise I'm usually good with Alamo, National, Enterprise, Budget, Dollar, Avis, and any of the other "mainstream" ones I'm forgetting, then I go with the cheapest price. I still read the reviews for the specific location that I'm picking up/dropping off the car, though, before booking.
Does Alamo not charge you until you arrive there?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Does Alamo not charge you until you arrive there?
Most (maybe all) rental car companies don't charge you until you arrive, unless you do a pre-pay option (usually comes with a discount). Otherwise, you don't even need to provide a credit card number when booking.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Most (maybe all) rental car companies don't charge you until you arrive, unless you do a pre-pay option (usually comes with a discount). Otherwise, you don't even need to provide a credit card number when booking.

Thanks. That's exactly what happened. Just thought it was strange but I guess it makes sense.

It did say when I booked that the price is "estimate". Could this be because I might pay for additional features such as insurance etc. that would therefore increase the total?

Old 06-06-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks. That's exactly what happened. Just thought it was strange but I guess it makes sense.
That leads to the beauty of rental cars - you don't have to be monetarily "locked in" on the price/reservation and you can continue to shop around, rebooking when you find something cheaper.

Quote:
It did say when I booked that the price is "estimate". Could this be because I might pay for additional features such as insurance etc. that would therefore increase the total?
That's correct. As long as you don't go for any of the upselling you mentioned, that "estimate" (when it includes the standard taxes and fees) is what you'll pay.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:42 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
One is always better off using your own ez pass if you have one or paying cash- take receipts as a proof.
Even with EZpass ( as an example,) drive through the toll booth which says cash- they take ez pass there as well, so you make sure you do not have “ video toll” or whatever the company uses.
It will cost you money. Hertz charges $5.95 a day for the duration of rental once their PlatePass( third party system) was used, even you only paid toll on the first day.Tolls charged without discount( when you pay by your own ez pass you get discount and off- peak travel discount if offered)
If by chance your ez pass was not read in an open lane- you my get charge convenience fees
Also ... if you use your own EZ Pass, you have to add the rental's particulars (make, model, plate #) to your EZ Pass account (the list of vehicles associated with your transponder). This is the case in PA, at least. I found out the hard way: bought a new car in Feb of 2018, stuck the transponder on the windshield, didn't think anything was wrong. A year later, PA started matching transponders and plates on a pretty much 100% basis (before early 2019 they were, according to the PennDOT people I spoke with, doing spot checks). As a result I got a blizzard of violation notices, all of which were voided once I added my new car's plates to the account. It's the same situation with a rental: the plate has to be associated with the transponder. So it's a PIA that may vary by state, but time well spent.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
That leads to the beauty of rental cars - you don't have to be monetarily "locked in" on the price/reservation and you can continue to shop around, rebooking when you find something cheaper.

That's correct. As long as you don't go for any of the upselling you mentioned, that "estimate" (when it includes the standard taxes and fees) is what you'll pay.
Thanks for your help!!!

Old 06-18-2019, 04:21 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Some people don't understand that in America your car insurance covers you whenever you use a temporary or substitute motor vehicle. This includes a rental car. The collision damage waiver is not covered, but most people have a credit card that will make up the difference.

Unless you don't own a car of your own that is insured, car rental insurance is a scam that people are often pressured into buying.
keep in mind you are only covered on the rental for what you are covered for on your own policy .. no collision or comprehensive on your own policy equals none carried over to a rental. then you have to depend on the credit card carrier and their fine print .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel