Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 05:06 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You'd probably be better off going to Amarillo then making your way to Raton, NM, via US-385 and US-87. Northeastern New Mexico has a handful of extinct volcanoes that rise up from the plains. Sierra Grande is a large shield volcano that towers about 2000' above the town of Des Moines, and a little further northwest is Capulin Volcano National Monument. At Capulin you can drive to the rim and hike down into the crater.

Once you get to Raton it's I-25 all the way to Denver. You'll be treated to mountain views the entire trip up I-25.
We just took this route last month as part of a 4000 mi road trip and I can recommend it.
Watch your speed through the little towns along the way though. They have the limits set ridiculously low and they are watching. I think my radar detector went off in every one of them.
First time I've seen herds of antelope along the road too. The volcano's are also very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
.... What is best route from Fort Smith to Denver -...
Why Denver? There are several other ways to get from AK to NoCA than Denver! (Ick)

Kansas has some really nice backroads / scenic byways.
https://www.travelks.com/ksbyways/
Scenic Byways of Kansas

If you MUST do this route on interstate... drive it at night!
  1. Better for vehicle,
  2. better economy (moist air and cool highway surface)
  3. FASTER (less traffic).
  4. Hotel day rates are cheaper than night rates (But I just nap in my car during day... free...)
  5. Not burning valuable daylight (Better used in Mtns of WY, CO, UT, NV, CA, NM
(I would go the Northern NM Mtns / southern CO route and hit Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, Great Basin NPs, Then Tahoe, Sierras Mtns and Yosemite and Sequoia NP)

Old 05-02-2019, 03:24 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Looking at the map, it's about 1,000 miles so a 2 day trip would be about 8 hours or 500 miles per day.
From Maryland to N. California 1000 miles??
Or you're talking about Fort Smith to Denver?
There are 652.82 miles from Fort Smith to Denver in northwest direction and 810 miles (1,303.57 kilometers) by car, following the I-70 and US-40 W route. Fort Smith and Denver are 11 hours 23 mins far apart, if you drive non-stop.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:02 AM

317 posts, read 373,825 times
Friends in Denver as well as Fort Smith. Most likely will go via Kansas with stop in Wichita or Salina. Hoping there are no tornados or torrential rains during that time -) NIght driving is not for me IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel