Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:39 PM

110 posts, read 88,786 times

Advertisements

Good topic. I love to travel but, sometimes it does take courage. If you really want to go somewhere, you will do the research and take precautions and you’ll get yourself there. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 01:18 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
I don't feel restricted exactly, but don't travel much when single. Its not as much fun for me to travel single. I've done it several times, and those were some of my worst vacations. So I restrict myself because I know how it turns out.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Has this guy actually been to Europe? Europe is a very diverse place (certainly Western Europe anyway), I seriously doubt 'travellers of colour' are going to get 'stared at' in cities where people from all walks of life live side by side. I would say to any women black or white please don't let your worry's put you off travelling, of course anywhere on the planet you need to keep your wits about you but I think Western Europe is about as safe as it can get on this world of ours.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:46 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
I've been a birdwatcher for 40 years. Besides spending a lot of time at the usual hotspots, I often just pull over on a country road and walk a few hundred meters to see the local birdlife. Countless times, I've been challenged by local residents, what am I doing on "their" road.

I can imagine what it would be like if I were black. I understand why I have never met a single black birdwatcher, and why the OP is hesitant about traveling "freely" the way I do as a white American..

Old 05-07-2019, 05:30 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,961 times
As a gay man, absolutely yes. I have been told to avoid the Caribbean for example. I would not travel to Islamic countries, unfortunately. I would like to be better traveled, but have avoided travel due to my orientation.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:34 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Has this guy actually been to Europe? Europe is a very diverse place (certainly Western Europe anyway), I seriously doubt 'travellers of colour' are going to get 'stared at' in cities where people from all walks of life live side by side. I would say to any women black or white please don't let your worry's put you off travelling, of course anywhere on the planet you need to keep your wits about you but I think Western Europe is about as safe as it can get on this world of ours.
I wasn't stared at even when I visited small towns in Spain. I was approached by curious locals and we had great conversations, though.

Western Europe is probably the most tolerant place on earth. But it's not nearly as safe as Japan, I used common sense so I didn't get into trouble.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
I suspect the problem in Italy is a lot of women from Africa are trafficked to be sex workers. I've seen them standing alone on rural roads.

So it could be wise to venture out with a companion(s). It is good you are traveling with a group and hope you go through with the trip and report back on your journey.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:42 AM

27,562 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
As a gay man, absolutely yes. I have been told to avoid the Caribbean for example. I would not travel to Islamic countries, unfortunately. I would like to be better traveled, but have avoided travel due to my orientation.
How would anybody know your sexual orientation unless you specifically told them?

Old 05-07-2019, 12:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
As a woman, I am definitely reluctant to travel anywhere alone, tbh even some areas within the US. I think a lot of men won't/can't quite understand women's very valid fears.

When I went to Italy a few years ago, our tour guide was black. Everyone in our tour group was white iirc, and many of Italian descent (some even spoke Italian), but our guide was black (American) and I didn't notice any animosity to her at all. And she loved the job. But she did speak Italian, maybe that helped her. Italy is gorgeous, especially along the Amalfi Coast. Stunning. And in Rome, the Colosseum is mind-blowing. You should go!! Just watch thiefs, at least when I was there pickpocketing was a big thing.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn2019 View Post
I love to travel, but I often feel restricted, in terms of where I should go, due to my race, gender and marital status. Long story short, I"m a single black American woman.

I shouldn't impose such restrictions on myself, but I will admit that I do worry about safety a lot, so much so, that whenever I travel, I don't venture outside of my room during the evening or at night. Also, I don't ever consume any alcohol while traveling, because I know it's important to always be aware of my surroundings at all times.

I would very much like to travel more, but I worry that as a solo black female traveler, it will be unsafe for me to visit certain African, Middle Eastern or European nations.

Is anyone else in a similar predicament?
For starters, Americans in general are restricted to some degree. There are places you just cannot visit on a US passport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel