Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,442,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I was strip searched and interviewed under a spotlight in "Immigration!" while crossing the border. They tore everything they could out of my dudsy Chevy sedan.
I'm a old white guy, born in the US (no tats, no pony tail, no earrings, etc), crossed that same border a million times over a 50 year period. Zero police record. Not even a parking ticket (there or in the US) Never gave a reason why. I have never gone back. That experience gave me the willies.

Oh...and one time, they turned my brother around - wouldn't let him in. The guy never touched a drug or anything. No reason given. Just made the old fart turn around and go back to the US.

Canada has gotten to be one weirdass place. Their border checkers make the TSA folks look like sweethearts.
Don't get old is the answer I guess. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 01:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,659,490 times
I have never been pulled aside and searched going either way, but I have had my trunk open, and them look inside the car's backseat when crossing into the US.

It's expected. My backseat windows are tinted, so I have the rolled down so they don't have to ask. I also have all the doors unlocked.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:55 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,442,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I have never been pulled aside and searched going either way, but I have had my trunk open, and them look inside the car's backseat when crossing into the US.

It's expected. My backseat windows are tinted, so I have the rolled down so they don't have to ask. I also have all the doors unlocked.
It can be intimidating but when we went, I knew our records were clean as whistles, so we would have minimal problems.

Guy even made a joke "no tickets ever, eh? guess you're fun @ parties..."

I LOL'd

Old 05-08-2019, 03:39 PM

88,883 posts, read 85,381,848 times
I've crossed the border into Canada regularly. About a year ago, on the tenth visit, I was asked to go over to the garage area, and they searched my car. They were very nice about it. I was on two medications at the time but had put some of each into one container, and one of them told me not to do that in the future--each medication should be in its own labeled container.

Then they had me speak to a lady from Canadian immigration. She wanted to know where I was going, who I was going to see, etc. She told me that 8000 Americans are applying each month to move to Canada, and the immigration resources are becoming overwhelmed, and they fear others are trying to go around the legal process and sneak in.

I assured her that I wasn't trying to sneak in, had a verifiable income, own a home in the USA, and even have my own health insurance that I can use in Canada if need be. She was very nice.

I haven't been detained on the way in since, but if they stop and search me again, it's OK. I have no illegal substances, no hidden alcohol, no guns or pepper spray...

Last time on the way out the US border agent asked the usual questions about alcohol and fruit and then asked if I had any firewood. That was a first. I said, WHAT? Apparently people try to bring firewood home from Canada, and they are concerned about some kind of bug that hides in the wood.

I also noticed that there are new signs on the approach to the border with a marijuana leaf with the red circle and slash line through it. LOL. You'd have to be some kind of stupid to think that they aren't going to be looking for weed now that it's legal in Canada.

And the fruit thing--When I flew out of Ottawa, I was told I had to eat my apple or throw it away because I couldn't bring fruit back into the USA. (I ate the apple, not going to waste it.) But driving over, I mentioned that to the agent when he asked about fruit and he said they are only concerned about citrus. So, you can DRIVE over with an apple, but not fly (I also had a Parisian apple taken away at JFK a couple of years ago.)

One time coming back from Canadian Thanksgiving, the agent asked me what I had in the cooler. I started pulling it out and showing it to her. "Butter tarts, leftover soup, cheese curds..." She just laughed and handed me back my passport.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-08-2019 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I was strip searched and interviewed under a spotlight in "Immigration!" while crossing the border. They tore everything they could out of my dudsy Chevy sedan.
I'm a old white guy, born in the US (no tats, no pony tail, no earrings, etc), crossed that same border a million times over a 50 year period. Zero police record. Not even a parking ticket (there or in the US) Never gave a reason why. I have never gone back. That experience gave me the willies.

Oh...and one time, they turned my brother around - wouldn't let him in. The guy never touched a drug or anything. No reason given. Just made the old fart turn around and go back to the US.

Canada has gotten to be one weirdass place. Their border checkers make the TSA folks look like sweethearts.
Wonder if someone on a watch list has a similar name to yours. I know a woman who has gotten pulled out of the lines by TSA at airports and questioned when crossing the border (she lives in Vermont). Her sister-in-law has the same name she does and has been publicly vocal about her dissatisfaction with the US government, and she thinks the name must be on a list.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:56 PM

23,710 posts, read 24,269,441 times
I’ve crossed at the Blaine, Washington checkpoint numerous times and have never been searched. The Canadian immigration officers are much friendlier than their US counterparts.
I sensed an arrogant, nearly condescending attitude from some of the US CBP staff at this specific checkpoint. I’ve crossed into the US from Canada at several other airport locations and never experienced this.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Your passport has a RFID chip inside so they just need to be near the reader for the computers to pull up your information while they are still holding it in their hands. Canada and the USA share national criminal databases. What's in the USA's NCIC is available to Canadian authorities, so they know if you were naughty or nice.
Yup. When they ask me when I was last in Canada, I'm always tempted to say, "It's right there on your computer!" But I don't.

Also, as you approach, your license plate is photographed and the computer pulls up any information associated with your vehicle.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:50 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,381,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I know someone who got turned back for a reckless driving conviction. The original charge was DUI, but it was pled down to RD. Still enough to keep him out of Canada.
However, if you are a Syrian------ you are in no questions asked.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:15 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,631,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Just like the US enforces it's immigration and customs regulations, so do we.
If we enforced our immigration laws we wouldn't have 23 million illegal aliens living here.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:13 AM

15,226 posts, read 10,400,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
A friend of a friend of mine flew to Toronto and they would not let him into the country because of a drug charge on his record in the US. He was kept in a holding room at the airport and then was made to immediately fly back to the US.
Hmmm, maybe Canada is on to something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel