Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 PM

464 posts, read 287,000 times

Advertisements

I used to like flying on commercial aircraft maybe 40 years ago, I used to even fly small aircraft in the Aero Club out at Holloman AFB in New Mexico.

But anymore, I don't like it at all and don't like heights either.

The last time I flew was in 1997.

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 06:01 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Each to its own but some fellow forum members have said that they “enjoy” flying. I am seriously not sure what exactly does “enjoy” mean here?

Yes, flying is an absolute great convenience. And I am thankful to be able to travel long distances in such short amount of times that were unthinkable only a 150 years ago.

But these days with all this security Check ups and long lines, there is a lot of hassle, getting in and out of the airport. Which is a given - so no complains.

Once you are in the plane for 5 to 16 or however many hours, what do you do?

Watch a movie, take a nap, read a book, eat drink, surf the net, go to the restroom etc? I mean, there is nothing wrong in all these activities but these are day to day normal life things that we do it at home - where is “enjoy” part in it? Your mother in law can’t visit you?

Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
I like it... or rather, A. I don't mind it* and B. it means I'm going somewhere, and somewhere further than I can drive (which means somewhere *different* and not near here).

*But, I've also been lucky enough to not deal with annoying seatmates or screaming children, or I might feel differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I hate flying less than I hate long drives.
Precisely. After a couple hours my rear gets sore, if there's traffic forget it (that sucks enough in my daily commute), I don't want to put the miles on my car, and if it's a vacation I don't want to take the time. Nor do I want to have to do the driving.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Each to its own but some fellow forum members have said that they “enjoy” flying. I am seriously not sure what exactly does “enjoy” mean here?

Yes, flying is an absolute great convenience. And I am thankful to be able to travel long distances in such short amount of times that were unthinkable only a 150 years ago.

But these days with all this security Check ups and long lines, there is a lot of hassle, getting in and out of the airport. Which is a given - so no complains.

Once you are in the plane for 5 to 16 or however many hours, what do you do?

Watch a movie, take a nap, read a book, eat drink, surf the net, go to the restroom etc? I mean, there is nothing wrong in all these activities but these are day to day normal life things that we do it at home - where is “enjoy” part in it? Your mother in law can’t visit you?
Well, you're leaving out the take-off and landing--when you are ascending from or descending to the earth--which are exhilarating feelings. I enjoy that.

I also enjoy the knowledge in the background of doing those mundane things you mentioned that I am doing them seven miles above the planet in a machine that is traveling 500 mph give or take.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:24 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Ehh. I like how quick it is. I really like having a window seat and being able to see the ground and trying to figure out what towns or cities I'm seeing.

But I hate the hassle of it.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I don't mind the airport as I like people watching and always find it an interesting experience. The lines don't bother, I line up for all sorts of things in life and have been doing so since kindergarten.

I like seeing what kind of plane we're getting on. I like fooling around with the entertainment system to watch movies I haven't seen. I like taking off and landing, and the 10 minutes or so before/after when can see more details on the ground. I like seeing what kind of food they serve on intl flights. I like trying to decipher the announcements in other languages. I like arriving and the exciting of being somewhere totally different than where you were earlier. Etc.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
It's a mixed bag for me. I enjoy it because it means I'm normally going on holiday somewhere fun and flying is part of the experience. On the downside, I'm 6'4" so I don't enjoy sitting on an airplane for 16 hours.

But the good normally outweighs the bad....

Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, you're leaving out the take-off and landing--when you are ascending from or descending to the earth--which are exhilarating feelings. I enjoy that.

I also enjoy the knowledge in the background of doing those mundane things you mentioned that I am doing them seven miles above the planet in a machine that is traveling 500 mph give or take.
lol OK
Next time I will focus on these things when I am about to fly and see how it feels?
I am usually thinking to how quickly spend the 3 or whatever hours in the plane.

My next flight is a good 14 hours long - oh God !!
I am planning to take a couple of Tylenol PM pills and sleep for as long as I can.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
We have made the decision, we will never fly again, it is too much a PITA.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 217 times
Plane is better than car, bus or train. It's faster, and that's why i love it much more. And I hate tight space, but it can be fix by business class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel