Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 PM

17,642 posts, read 13,434,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Use AMTRAK to price train tickets. Use Google Flight and Southwest Airlines to price airfare. Air travel is the best for time effiency over the long distance between these locations and prices for airfare and rail are similar. Play with your schedule and price it using these links.

https://www.amtrak.com/home
https://www.southwest.com/
https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en

You might try using the TripAdvisor forums for more info.

Also check Canadian Railroad I think it's Via. You can do Ottawa to Vancouver by rail..Absolutely beautiful, actually more beautiful than American Rockies. Your problem would then be Vancouver to LA, but I think Air Canada and Alaskan Air fly that route

This is either a 2 or 3 day trip. I'd price sleeper car and Dome access for view and comfort. I do not trust US rail beds, so I never use train in US. I would NEVER use bus either.

See where your best RT price is from India. (I'm guessing Ottawa or LA)

If it was me, I'd do India to LA or Ottawa then StL then complete your trip. No matter what, you have a long, time consuming and expensive trip ahead of you

Safe travels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 05:55 AM

543 posts, read 945,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Keeping your air routing within USA is usually the least expensive.
You can look for bargains to Montreal and Toronto, and use rental car / bus to Ottawa. Or use a USA destination and rental car from there. I know United Airlines has pretty good coverage for Canada, so you can use Google Flights to find best. (Google flights does not include Southwest). ALWAYS check directly with the carrier for better price before booking (Easier to make changes as well if you book direct, and MUCH better service when your flight gets cancelled (mine did yesterday due to weather.)

I often use Southwest Airlines within USA due to their generous baggage and free change policy (Flight credit good for one yr from booking date), but.. they do not have good last minute fares, because they fly much closer to passenger capacity than other USA bigger carriers.

I am not so keen or aware of Amtrak, as they have always been very expensive and late. Several international guests have taken Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle or Portland, then down the West Coast to LA. If you have all the time in the world Amtrak can work, BUT using Amtrak, you will likely have more $ in rental cars / local transportation than renting or buying a car for your USA travels. I encourage international guests to buy a used minivan and travel and I will help them resell it at end of trip (usually for within $1000 total expense ~ 1 month rental cost). You can sleep / rest in a minivan and they are very inexpensive, safe, and easy to find repairs, easy to sell, and cheap to insure.

USA National Park and Scenic sites are very hard to get to using public transportation, and it is quite a bit faster to just drive. There is lots to see and it is quite safe and inexpensive to drive in USA.

Consider Chicago as a hub, rather than St. Louis, and Toronto, rather than Ottawa. There is not the train / bus service you are used to in India.

Consider buying a used car / minivan.

Look at Southwest Routing and prices for cheap one-way fares. I have done LA to St Louis for < $100 during sale dates. With SWA 'change policy' I have got a lot of refunds / travel credits when prices drop after I have booked.

Chicago and LAX can be inexpensive (Hub for many airlines).

Where do you go first and what time of the year? (That matters in St Louis and Ottawa)

Can you tell me more about this minivan option? Do you run a business? How do I go about it?
I think this would be the best option. Train/bus would take way too long and flights are expensive because all three cities are about as far as can be from one another. I'd rather drive. Thanks

Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 AM

3,774 posts, read 4,120,461 times
You can take a Megabus from St Louis to Chicago for as little as one dollar or as much as $29, depending on the day, time and how far ahead you book. I have taken Megabus many, many times between Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and NYC, and they are reasonably priced, comfortable and efficient, much different from Greyhound. From Chicago you should be able to get a cheap flight to Ottawa, or a very reasonably priced fare on a train, plane or bus to Toronto, then to Ottawa.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:02 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,341,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You can take a Megabus from St Louis to Chicago for as little as one dollar or as much as $29, depending on the day, time and how far ahead you book. I have taken Megabus many, many times between Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and NYC, and they are reasonably priced, comfortable and efficient, much different from Greyhound. From Chicago you should be able to get a cheap flight to Ottawa, or a very reasonably priced fare on a train, plane or bus to Toronto, then to Ottawa.

Why would you have the OP jump on a bus from St. Louis to Chicago, take a six hour bus ride, then have to jump on a train to one of the airports, when Delta offers STL-YOW service for approximate $20 less than going to Chicago (either airport)? That sure seems like too much work to save no money. And flying into Toronto is not any great shakes either as you pay as much to fly into YYZ as you would YOW. Sure, you could take Porter Airlines MDW-YTZ. However, then you have to take the ferry into downtown and jump on a 4-5 hour bus ride into Ottawa.

Megabus has a lot of interesting drawbacks that its proponents forget about including a one bag limit, some very interesting pick-up and drop-off points and little customer service.. And yes, I was on one of the inaugural Megabus runs between Chicago and Cincinnati. And it was fortunate I was as the driver was NOT given directions to their stop in Cincinnati (4th and Race) and the return driver did not know what route to take off of the Dan Ryan to get to Union Station in Chicago.

It would be far better for the OP to spend several hours on Google Flights and Google maps and come up with his own ideas on how to get around. (Google Maps has a train and bus component that is fairly useful). Then, teh OP can come back and ask if the route seems feasible.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:41 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,891,622 times
The problem with buying a car in the USA is that in order to get appropriate registration, license, and insurance, you need to have an address in the state where the vehicle is registered in order to get that. It's possible in some states but difficult and expensive enough it's only really worth it for a 4+ month trip of heavy driving

Old 07-09-2019, 07:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,229,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Can you tell me more about this minivan option? Do you run a business? How do I go about it?
I think this would be the best option. Train/bus would take way too long and flights are expensive because all three cities are about as far as can be from one another. I'd rather drive. Thanks
  1. Best to have a friend in USA help you to buy and sell (So you don't have to waste time). Can use their address to register and insure (best if they live in a No Sales Tax State (Oregon, MT, NH, DE (and AK)))
  2. I have done this for a few travelers that I have known before I bought for them. (I do not have a business, just do to help them out, as they will do in their country for me)
  3. There are some dealers who will help you buy and sell (buy-back), as there are in NZ and Australia.

I usually buy <$3500 vans and sell for same price when finished.

Are you set on your (3) cities, or can you exchange for something nearby that is a travel hub? (Like Chicago)

How long is your trip? (You say time is no limit)

Old 07-09-2019, 09:01 PM

11,816 posts, read 12,064,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I have found buying a single multiple destination ticket through a airline is by far the cheapest way. I have found a bus or train is usually more expensive than flying.
This. ^^^

I don't know what the best route is but I would only recommend flying. Driving by yourself across North America doesn't seem realistic at all.

Why not contact a travel agency?

Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 PM

543 posts, read 945,470 times
Quote:
[list=1][*]Best to have a friend in USA help you to buy and sell (So you don't have to waste time).

Are you set on your (3) cities, or can you exchange for something nearby that is a travel hub? (Like Chicago)

How long is your trip? (You say time is no limit)
Here's the actual details:

I studied in Ottawa for 5 years in 2009 and theres a 10 year reunion of my class. Lot of my colleagues are in Europe and Australia so we haven't decided on the exact dates- just á tentative November-December timeline.

I am writing a book on a Hollywood movie and have to interview Arnold Schwarzenegger in Los Angeles. Again- there is no fixed date but I have his agents permission, and I told him I will let him know the dates before arriving. It will be in November-December, which once I confirm my flight details I will know.

My Uncle is a doctor who stays and practices in St Louis MO. If I go to the US, I will visit him.

So basically I don't really have to be at any place at a specific date, hence the reason I am relaxed. I was still hoping for an Amtrak adventure across the continent but let me see how to go about it. Flying seems the best option right now

Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,229,287 times
2 -3 Months?

Amtrak
https://www.amtrak.com/rail-passes
FAQ
https://www.amtrak.com/deals-discoun...rail-pass.html

Within the USA
Looks like you could easily do the $459 - 15 Day - 8 segment fare to traverse USA (from Buffalo, NY (Or Albany) to ST Louis, then on to LA. (via Seattle / Portland.)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...k_map_2016.png
http://blog.amtrak.com/2014/07/usarailpass/

Nov - Jan is NOT the easiest time to visit USA... SHORT days and cold / snow / rain. LA will be fine

I would find a HUB location to spend a week or 2 within reach of Ottawa, and 2 weeks to a month near LA. (You can get to the SW USA sites in USA very easy from LA or Las Vegas). (SW USA is Warm(er) in Nov - Jan than much of USA).
San Francisco is a easy commute from LA.

or... Buy the $899 - 45 day pass and do a 'round-the-USA' Amtrak trip.
(Remember, these are Coach Seats, upgrade to sleeper will be significantly more)
Rental cars suggested at 'hub destinations'. Check Enterprise Rent-a-car for their $9.95 specials! Monthly rentals are quite affordable.

I Highly recommend San Antonio during Dec (Christmas lights / parades events in SA and many nearby towns)

On Amtrak route,
San Diego, Tucson, New Orleans, Atlanta, Charleston, Savannah (and all of Florida) would be a good place to warm up.
DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston all interesting for US History. (and COLD in Nov - Jan) .

If you want to snow ski... Salt Lake City and Denver might be good destinations (As would Montana)

If in no hurry... Amtrak may be OK. (flights will add up to $899 pretty fast) + Amtrak gets you to town, Airports are often out of the city. (Taxi in USA is a very expensive option ($20 minimum to $100+) Uber is about $1 per minute. (not cheap). In summer, you could bring a bicycle. Winter... no bike.... (Snow boots and Parka)

Old 07-11-2019, 12:22 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:
Buy the $899 - 45 day pass and do a 'round-the-USA' Amtrak trip.
(Remember, these are Coach Seats, upgrade to sleeper will be significantly more)
I cannot even imagine being in a coach seat for that amount of time. Even with breaking it up with different city stops, that would be brutal. I've taken the train to Kansas City (about 3 hrs) a few times, as well as Chicago (about 5 hrs). Even at just 5 hours I am ready to get off that train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel