Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 01:26 AM

543 posts, read 944,101 times

Advertisements

Hello

I don't know if this is the correct place to inquire but I needed some advice, and would be glad if someone can help.
I am from India. I have to be in three cities- Los Angeles, St Louis(MO) and Ottawa(Canada) for 4-5 days in each city. Which option would be the most cheapest to travel? All three are far away from one another and I want to land and fly from one city(from and back to India) as it is much cheaper than purchasing one way ticket each time.

I can land and fly back from any of these three cities but what about traveling to and fro between these?
Is flying still the best option? I want to travel by rail also and Amtrak has passes and offers(traveling time is no issue). What is the cheapest option to commute between Ottawa(Canada)- St Louis(MO) and Los Angeles(Cal)? Fly, train, bus?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 04:57 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,522,642 times
Use AMTRAK to price train tickets. Use Google Flight and Southwest Airlines to price airfare. Air travel is the best for time effiency over the long distance between these locations and prices for airfare and rail are similar. Play with your schedule and price it using these links.

https://www.amtrak.com/home
https://www.southwest.com/
https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en

You might try using the TripAdvisor forums for more info.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:31 AM

543 posts, read 944,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Use AMTRAK to price train tickets. Use Google Flight and Southwest Airlines to price airfare. Air travel is the best for time effiency over the long distance between these locations and prices for airfare and rail are similar. Play with your schedule and price it using these links.

https://www.amtrak.com/home
https://www.southwest.com/
https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en

You might try using the TripAdvisor forums for more info.
Thanks.
Its much much cheaper to take the greyhound. Just checked the tickets: St Louis to Ottawa is $132(one way) and St Louis to LA is $178. Flight is around 350 one way(!!!). But...the greyhound takes 2 days! 60 hours. Time is not an issue but I might get bored to death. Flight is barely a day. No amtraks sadly.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Amtrak is pretty expensive, I checked out prices this spring from the east coast to the Rockies & it was waaay more than air travel.

You might price round trip flights between your intermediate cities, that may be cheaper that one way, just throw away the return ticket portion.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
I have found buying a single multiple destination ticket through a airline is by far the cheapest way. I have found a bus or train is usually more expensive than flying.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I have to be in three cities- Los Angeles, St Louis(MO) and Ottawa(Canada) for 4-5 days in each city.

Which option would be the most cheapest to travel?
Bus is cheapest. Planes will be quickest BUT unless someone is there to pick you up...
you'll still need to take a local bus or train (or taxi) into the city.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Keeping your air routing within USA is usually the least expensive.
You can look for bargains to Montreal and Toronto, and use rental car / bus to Ottawa. Or use a USA destination and rental car from there. I know United Airlines has pretty good coverage for Canada, so you can use Google Flights to find best. (Google flights does not include Southwest). ALWAYS check directly with the carrier for better price before booking (Easier to make changes as well if you book direct, and MUCH better service when your flight gets cancelled (mine did yesterday due to weather.)

I often use Southwest Airlines within USA due to their generous baggage and free change policy (Flight credit good for one yr from booking date), but.. they do not have good last minute fares, because they fly much closer to passenger capacity than other USA bigger carriers.

I am not so keen or aware of Amtrak, as they have always been very expensive and late. Several international guests have taken Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle or Portland, then down the West Coast to LA. If you have all the time in the world Amtrak can work, BUT using Amtrak, you will likely have more $ in rental cars / local transportation than renting or buying a car for your USA travels. I encourage international guests to buy a used minivan and travel and I will help them resell it at end of trip (usually for within $1000 total expense ~ 1 month rental cost). You can sleep / rest in a minivan and they are very inexpensive, safe, and easy to find repairs, easy to sell, and cheap to insure.

USA National Park and Scenic sites are very hard to get to using public transportation, and it is quite a bit faster to just drive. There is lots to see and it is quite safe and inexpensive to drive in USA.

Consider Chicago as a hub, rather than St. Louis, and Toronto, rather than Ottawa. There is not the train / bus service you are used to in India.

Consider buying a used car / minivan.

Look at Southwest Routing and prices for cheap one-way fares. I have done LA to St Louis for < $100 during sale dates. With SWA 'change policy' I have got a lot of refunds / travel credits when prices drop after I have booked.

Chicago and LAX can be inexpensive (Hub for many airlines).

Where do you go first and what time of the year? (That matters in St Louis and Ottawa)

Old 07-08-2019, 06:16 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Amtrak is frequently hours behind schedule, best used if you have no deadlines.

I don't know if Greyhound still has the unlimited rides for a month pass. I did that years ago. You get to see the scenery, get off the bus periodically, and your luggage is nearby.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Greyhound gives me the creeps (BTDT a few times). 4 of my nearby seatmates were skipping bail. Several were homeless, 'traveling to somewhere'. One family with 4 small kids were in terrible health.

This incident in Canada turned me off (Decapitation and cannibalism of seatmate on Greyhound Bus)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...sary-1.4760074
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean

Of course one never knows who you will be with in First Class. (Today was a fiasco, I am sure glad I was not seated in First Class!). Screaming kids and very upset parents (thus screaming kids). Summer travel...

Old 07-08-2019, 10:35 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,192 times
You do not want to travel in US by train or bus...
Unless you are young, healthy like a god, and don't care about your travel time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel