Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Good for you. I am taller but slim too.

The reason why I started this thread is that very large people buy airplane tickets and most of them don't know that not only seats are narrow, but now bathrooms too. There should be very transparent information about the size of the new bathrooms.
On my flight, I saw a number of large people and people who were wheeled to the plane. One guy was trying to get into and he couldn't. Not sure what happened to him. Economy class doesn't have access to first-class bathrooms, no matter what. Except, all economy lavatories were technically out of order.
There’s the dreaded "class" system – which requires passengers to use the lavatory in their ticketed cabin.
Big money people are guarded well.

Measure 24" and imagine that even an overweight person will struggle. I posted pics how a 24" lavatory looks like. There is not even space for a large person to turn around. I guess, the plane constructors decided that its OK for large passengers to squeeze themselves into the lavatories... backward.
Here is the crux of your post.

The bathrooms in first class are the same size as the economy bathrooms.

You are trying to say they didn't provide a bathroom to the people in economy? What does 'technically out of order" mean? This whole thread is just a class warfare stoking thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 07:49 PM

382 posts, read 366,266 times
I sometimes fly on express jets, and the bathrooms are so small I have to twist my feet to close the door!

I think a lot of big and tall people avoid international air travel as much as possible. It really isn't comfortable if you have to fly over three hours. Hell, I try to reduce air travel over 5 hours because I don't find it comfortable.

As for the bathrooms, I always think "I'm glad I'm traveling while I'm young." I won't want to use airplane bathrooms with an overactive bladder! lol

Old 09-10-2019, 08:50 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,107,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It's dangerous to restrict fluids on an international flight. You are putting yourself at risk for a blood clot.
^^^ Best post and excellent advice. Don't ever restrict fluids on flights because keeping hydrated is one of the things that you can do to lessen the possibility of getting a blood clot. Also, one is exposed to germs when flying and keeping hydrated, particularly with juices, will make it less likely you will get sick.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Here is the crux of your post.

The bathrooms in first class are the same size as the economy bathrooms.

You are trying to say they didn't provide a bathroom to the people in economy? What does 'technically out of order" mean? This whole thread is just a class warfare stoking thread.
Ugh... wrong.

1. This thread was about the NEW smaller lavatories (24" wide) that are installed for the Economy Class passengers (First-class does not have those) and problems that large travelers might encounter.

The continuing installation of smaller and reconfigured bathrooms, which began in late 2013, has led to complaints about safety issues, say, travelers and flight crew, who are concerned about restricted access for the physically disabled, as well as ease of use for other passengers

The lavatories in First Class are still 41"L x 34 1/2"W x 75"H. On a Boeing 737-800, the new bathroom in First-class measured 36"L x 27"W x 77"H and they ARE still bigger than the small economy toilets.

On some other airlines, they are actually pretty spacious with nice amenities.
Emirates: On their A380s they have two First Class shower suites, equipped with heated floors, enough amenities to start a toiletry resale business, and most importantly a shower. They are larger than in some people houses.
Lufthansa A380 First Class (i flew with that one myself)) has two huge lavatories at the front of the upper deck, each equipped with a bench, full-size sink, and enclosed urinal! They even have a window, nice selection of real towels and a vase with fresh flowers there. As far as bathrooms (and not shower spas) go, it doesn’t really get much nicer than that.
Some other airlines provide First Class with benches, toilet/bidet combo, and other nice amenities, AND enough space to comfortably change clothes.
Want to see how Thai First Class bathroom looks like?

2. I am not "trying to say that they don't provide toilets to the people in Economy". I said that people in Economy can't use toilets in First Class UNLESS the toilets in Economy are out of order (aka soiled, broken, no water).
Also, U.S. law only requires airlines to provide a wheelchair-accessible toilet on wide-body airplanes with dual aisles.

Those are facts, not " a class warfare stoking thread".

Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am a PP too, but there are limitations as to how far I can fly... like I am not taking a solo flight to Europe any time soon. Lol
I never let limitations stop me. I've flown from the U.S. to Europe and Africa via Canada, Greenland, Iceland, and the U.K. Just so long as the weather and fuel hold out.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:05 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am 5’2” and weigh in at 118 pounds. Not an issue.
I am a tad taller and lighter but I still hate airplane lavs enough to restrict fluids before flying.

But mostly, I avoid flying, period. I’d rather pee into a bottle inside a car than use the airplane bathrooms.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:10 PM

Elnina,

You may want to buy a FUD (female urinary device) and practice with it. There are both hard plastic ones and soft silicone ones, and probably mixtures of both. I have both kinds, purchased not for airplane use but for peeing while wearing a drysuit with a pee zipper.

These will not help if you simply cannot fit into the airplane lav at all. They will help if you want to remain standing in there rather than sitting on the seat, which always feels like more room is needed. Also, they allow peeing more discreetly when hiking, because you do not pull down your pants or squat.

Article and review on their use below. I have a Freshette and a GoGirl. The former is easier to use but bulkier. The latter is very compact and simple, but it requires more practice.

https://www.backpacker.com/gear/the-...nation-devices

Last edited by pikabike; 09-11-2019 at 04:19 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 04:58 PM

416 posts, read 409,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

The ceilings are slopped too. So a taller person needs to bend to fit in.

Preach it! This really sucks as a taller person. I guess the upside is that I can balance during turbulence by resting my head on the ceiling.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Preach it! This really sucks as a taller person. I guess the upside is that I can balance during turbulence by resting my head on the ceiling.
Not resting your head—jamming it.

Now you, too, can call it The Head.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:42 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
A human rights violation? Seriously? It's a bathroom on an airplane. Maybe don't fly if you are expecting deluxe accommodations. It's a place to pee and nothing more.
It could be if they sell fares to very large or disabled people who can't fit into the 24" lavatories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Elnina,

You may want to buy a FUD (female urinary device) and practice with it. There are both hard plastic ones and soft silicone ones, and probably mixtures of both. I have both kinds, purchased not for airplane use but for peeing while wearing a drysuit with a pee zipper.

These will not help if you simply cannot fit into the airplane lav at all. They will help if you want to remain standing in there rather than sitting on the seat, which always feels like more room is needed. Also, they allow peeing more discreetly when hiking, because you do not pull down your pants or squat.

Article and review on their use below. I have a Freshette and a GoGirl. The former is easier to use but bulkier. The latter is very compact and simple, but it requires more practice.

https://www.backpacker.com/gear/the-...nation-devices
Lol. Very funny, but you're missing the point. I am slim. I don't need it and it's not about me.

This thread was about large or disabled people who do have (or would have) problems to fit into the new, very small lavatories, yet fares are sold to them without consideration.

Provided links that people already struggle.
https://www.traveller.com.au/plane-t...throoms-h181lf
https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...attendant.html
https://www.fastcompany.com/90236107...let-feels-tiny
https://www.inquirer.com/philly/livi...-20181121.html

I guess some people are content with every restriction and limitation imposed on them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel