Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 07:50 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The DMV might take an hour or two. No one is in line waiting for a whole year.
I made an appointment with my local DMV office and they called my name at the exact time of the appointment! No waiting at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 08:13 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In response to Sundaydrive, I said ID is now required to travel in the USA, by common carrier or by your own car. Didn't used to be.
No, you said in order to move about, a Real ID, or enhanced ID as you called it, is required. That's not true. You do need an ID, but not a Real ID unless you are traveling by plane. And again, that is nothing new. Needing a driver's license to operate a car has been a thing for some time now. But no, you don't need to show it in order to move about the country. I've driven all over the country, and never once had to show my ID to do so. I have it if I'm ever pulled over, but as I'm not a reckless driver, that doesn't happen.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:16 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not an option where I live. You can make an appointment online, but it’s usually weeks or months out.
But since the Real ID doesn't take place till October 1, 2020, it seems that yes, you do have plenty of time to make an appointment online in order to get one.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:34 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,243,396 times
The whinging about Real ID is pretty funny. It's an identity document with more security features, but it's the same thing as your pre-Real identity document...it's not like the fact it was more easily faked meant that it somehow was less illegal to use a fake ID. It was always supposed to identify the real you even if the measures taken to ensure that may have varied from state to state in seriousness.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:12 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Real ID is a Bush-2 era initiative related to his War on Terrah. Florida phased it in somewhere around 2009. My DL from 2010 was Real ID compliant. And actually led me to getting a passport again because by the time I managed to dig out my birth certificate, marriage license, etc. and put them into a nice packet it was like 'I'm all organized to do that now, so might as well while it's relatively easy to do so'
I switched my DL from GA to TX and then just a few months later I got my passport. Had everything together with a paperclip. In fact I think it was easier to get my passport. Passport doesn't care about exact physical address unlike DL.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:33 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But since the Real ID doesn't take place till October 1, 2020, it seems that yes, you do have plenty of time to make an appointment online in order to get one.
I feel sorry for the people that were proactive and trying to get it early when the process was beginning in CA, only to find out there was something wrong with them and I think they needed to get it redone.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:45 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Update - just checked and the only thing that was wrong is that the applicant needed two forms of address verification (utility, etc for the address) and CA asked for only one, now they are asking for two forms of address proof as mandated, nothing wrong with the Real IDs, as far as I read.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:27 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
In response to Sundaydrive, I said ID is now required to travel in the USA, by common carrier or by your own car. Didn't used to be. Real ID has become a reality, it will certainly be expanded, and Napoleon was right when he said "A man will fight harder for his interests than his rights".
You don’t need an ID to get on Amtrak. The only time I’ve ever been asked for ID was if I was changing a ticket in-person.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:47 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
In response to Sundaydrive, I said ID is now required to travel in the USA, by common carrier or by your own car. Didn't used to be.
Hmmm... Now??
You remember the times drivers didn't need license?

You don't need ID to drive a car. You need a Driver's License that is also considered your ID.
If you don't have DL, then you need to have just a regular ID issued by the government.

Massachusetts and Missouri were the first states to require a driver's license in 1903....
Michigan joined in 1919. In the same year Rhode Island became the first state to require both a license and a driver’s exam. California, now known for its car culture, started requiring licenses in 1913 and exams in 1927...
By 1935 only 39 states issued them and few required a test, despite widespread concern about incompetent drivers.
It was not until 1959 that all the states required a license for the driver.

At present, the only national photo ID are the passport and passport card, which are issued by the U.S.
The driver's license, which is issued by each individual state, operates as the de facto national identity card due to the ubiquity of driving in the United States. Each state also issues a non-driver state identity card which fulfills the same identification functions as the driver's license, but does not permit the operation of a motor vehicle.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:54 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Update - just checked and the only thing that was wrong is that the applicant needed two forms of address verification (utility, etc for the address) and CA asked for only one, now they are asking for two forms of address proof as mandated, nothing wrong with the Real IDs, as far as I read.
Everything is wrong with the RealID. When its easier to get a US passport, then get a RealID, something is wrong. That passport is better than any realID. Just get a reg dl and a passport. Less headaches and jumping thru hoops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel