Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 10:44 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,920,348 times

Advertisements

It’s really sad. Nothing that can be done about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 12:01 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,447,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I wonder if some of the more famous & over-touristed cities that are concerned about this, say Barcelona for example, if they wouldn't start charging exorbitant taxes on hotel & BnB stays or something else that simultaneously reduces demand & raises revenue?
That's exactly what Disney World does with its ticket prices. It charges more (because it can) until they reach the point that they are not having to turn people away at the door. Over tourism has ruined theme parks to the point that people started tracking the slow days online, so they'd know when to go during off-peak. And now, as a result, there is no such thing as "off peak" anymore.

It makes me not even want to visit these places. Crowds, lines, and waiting ruins any experience for me. I don't pay good money to be one of 50,000 people and stand in line for 2 hours for an attraction. I understand people standing in line that long for free stuff, but why would you pay to do that? How many rides can you visit when each one queues for that long?

In everyday life, Amazon (absent their issues with warehouse conditions), Wegmans partnering with InstaCart, working remotely, and traveling to B-cities (and not necessarily their anchor attractions) have resolved most of this for me. I absolutely love taking a long weekend and visiting places in the southeast. Mountains, beaches, cities for shopping/dining/seeing something new. Holidays are great in big cities because everyone leaves.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:09 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,236,424 times
Hate planning. Anything planned becomes something required to do, an obligation, a committment, somethign to dread.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:37 PM

11,082 posts, read 6,678,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Hate planning. Anything planned becomes something required to do, an obligation, a committment, somethign to dread.
I agree with you re events or sites to see. But having your air tickets and hotels/apartments well in advance is peace of mind. I'd never want to wing that.

I book mine the minute they are available and am itching now 'cause I can't get my April tickets since the return leg is over a year from now. I've had the VRBO accommodations over a year in advance. The owners seem to appreciate that, actually.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,447,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I agree with you re events or sites to see. But having your air tickets and hotels/apartments well in advance is peace of mind. I'd never want to wing that.

I book mine the minute they are available and am itching now 'cause I can't get my April tickets since the return leg is over a year from now. I've had the VRBO accommodations over a year in advance. The owners seem to appreciate that, actually.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,780,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Unless you want to pay a fortune and get locked out of things, you have to book airfare and lodging way in advance.

We travel to Europe a lot on frequent flyer points. I book those flights pretty much the first day I'm allowed to book them and book AirBnB lodging at the same time. Next May's London-Paris trip was all booked in late-August. I'll be booking a late-September Galicia Spain trip over the next few weeks assuming the BOS-LHR British Airways day flight I want is available using American points.
We are going to Spain in March and I was just looking at flights. No problem at all getting either the Seattle-London leg or the London-Madrid. But we are using dollars not points.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:08 PM

130,663 posts, read 12,177,441 times
I love planning, to me, it is part of the fun of a vacation. Plus if we travel a long way to a new place, I want to know what is there before I go.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:43 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,555,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We are going to Spain in March and I was just looking at flights. No problem at all getting either the Seattle-London leg or the London-Madrid. But we are using dollars not points.

For my May trip, I'm waiting until January to get serious about booking airfare. Everything I've read says that 3-5 months in advance is the best time to book for best prices. But I've also set up a Hipmunk alert for the itinerary I'm looking at so that if there's a surprise rate drop between now and then, I'll find out about it.

Nearly every seat on the flights I'm looking at is still open, so I'm not too worried.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:45 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,555,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

Dread? Really? I'm so excited about the stuff I've booked so far that I can't stand it. Certainly at the far opposite end of the spectrum from dread. LOL

Old 10-22-2019, 02:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,136,148 times
We went to Paris two weeks ago and didn't pre book a single thing.

I wanted to see the Louvre but not go inside. Ditto the Tour Eiffel.

We did the double decker tour bus to get an overview of the main tourist sites but otherwise stayed away from them.

We wandered Paris outside the single digit Arrs and picnicked every day.

It was one of the most relaxing vacations I've done in years. My favorite thing was Pere Lachaise Cemetery in the pouring rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel