Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 12:52 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,967,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Kind of.
The restaurants would not matter to them at all.
Not sure what you mean by "parks".
Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 12:54 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Quote:
Don't mean to be a pain, but are you talking about rides? Our kids aren't really that into Disney CHARACTERS, and they don't do the really crazy rides.
What is it they would get lots of at Disney, that other places can't even come close to?

(Yes, I have been. But it was many years ago).
No, not just talking rides. Talking about everything. There's really something for everyone, given that there's four parks, two water parks, and Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney). And you don't really have to be "into" the characters to enjoy some of the character specific offerings there. I LOVE the Toy Story rides even though I'm not into the characters (both Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios ... very fun and interactive). EPCOT and Animal Kingdom aren't very character driven. And if they like Star Wars (seems like everyone does these days) there's the new Star Wars area in Hollywood Studios.

There are plenty of rides that are fun that aren't really crazy (in fact, there really aren't many "crazy" rides at Disney).

But it's just the overall quality. I remember going to Universal for the Harry Potter stuff, and it was good, but I couldn't help but think "how would Disney have done this differently?"

And Disney has definitely upped their food game in recent years!!

Old 10-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,021,886 times
Have you considered Lake Ouachita in Arkansas? Or Petit Jean in Arkansas? Just really, beautiful.

You could do both on the same trip easily - 3 days in each. Stay in a resort on Lake Ouachita, rent a pontoon boat from the State Park marina (or actually stay in a cabin at the State Park) and boat around and go swimming/crystal gathering on the many quiet islands, and then head up to Petit Jean to a cabin on a mountainside. Fun restaurant, hummingbirds swarming around, nice pool, pretty hiking. Raccoons that come through your cabin site at night.

There's a crystal mine not too far from Hot Springs, where you can pay to go in and hunt through the muck for crystals - and you'll find LOTS of them. If you go, take throw-away shoes and throw-away clothing because it will get ruined in the red clay at the mine.

And you can stop and have lunch in Toad Suck.

I feel like getting up and going there right now. ;D

Old 10-25-2019, 03:43 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,720,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Have you considered Lake Ouachita in Arkansas? Or Petit Jean in Arkansas? Just really, beautiful.

You could do both on the same trip easily - 3 days in each. Stay in a resort on Lake Ouachita, rent a pontoon boat from the State Park marina (or actually stay in a cabin at the State Park) and boat around and go swimming/crystal gathering on the many quiet islands, and then head up to Petit Jean to a cabin on a mountainside. Fun restaurant, hummingbirds swarming around, nice pool, pretty hiking. Raccoons that come through your cabin site at night.

There's a crystal mine not too far from Hot Springs, where you can pay to go in and hunt through the muck for crystals - and you'll find LOTS of them. If you go, take throw-away shoes and throw-away clothing because it will get ruined in the red clay at the mine.

And you can stop and have lunch in Toad Suck.

I feel like getting up and going there right now. ;D
Any good hotel to recommend there?

Old 10-25-2019, 04:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Any good hotel to recommend there?
We always stay at a condo, and I haven't really found one that's IT. (The place we used to stay had a private beach area, fabulous, but they sold the beach off and someone plopped a building on it).

We've stayed here:

Welcome to South Shore Lake Resort (Takes a moment to load usually). If you get a condo that's right on the water it's best. It's on Lake Hamilton, which is very near Lake Ouachita, but not nearly as pretty. It's really hard to find a rental on Ouachita, but if you go, don't miss going there! There's something magic about hanging out on an island all afternoon with just your family.

VRBO had lots of rentals on Lake Hamilton - if you can find a property on Lookout Point, that's a great area.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:31 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,720,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We always stay at a condo, and I haven't really found one that's IT. (The place we used to stay had a private beach area, fabulous, but they sold the beach off and someone plopped a building on it).

We've stayed here:

Welcome to South Shore Lake Resort (Takes a moment to load usually). If you get a condo that's right on the water it's best. It's on Lake Hamilton, which is very near Lake Ouachita, but not nearly as pretty. It's really hard to find a rental on Ouachita, but if you go, don't miss going there! There's something magic about hanging out on an island all afternoon with just your family.

VRBO had lots of rentals on Lake Hamilton - if you can find a property on Lookout Point, that's a great area.
Thanks!

Right now it's getting too cold, hopefully, there'll be some sunny and warm days in early November.

It's just 4 hours drive from where I live, not having to worry about airfare/car rental is sweet.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Thanks!

Right now it's getting too cold, hopefully, there'll be some sunny and warm days in early November.

It's just 4 hours drive from where I live, not having to worry about airfare/car rental is sweet.
Yes - you're pretty close!

I think I'd wait for summer, though. Petit Jean would be great this time of year, about 3.5 hours drive for you, but the joy of Ouachita is swimming and boating.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:38 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,243,047 times
I would also say some type of resort with multiple kid friendly activities all on site. My son still loves Great Wolf Lodge at age 15, but I would say that it's a 3 day/2 night stay, max. Many people I know only stay for 1 night but we like the extra night so that the middle day is a full day there. They also have a little mini golf course (even the 3 year old can play but still fun for the bigger kids), a climbing wall, a ropes course and an arcade, plus a few other activities that might vary depending on the specific location.

A cruise is also a very family friendly vacation, and since it's all inclusive with the food, it is cost competitive with other options especially if you have a port in driving distance and don't have to pay airfares to get there. You said Southeast so I wasn't sure where you were coming from for the vacation.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:00 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Quote:
Good ideas, gang.
Let me clarify a bit: our kids love history and doing all the "grownup" fun stuff (like museums, beaches, old train rides, etc.) But I am really hoping to focus this trip only on things that they probably won't enjoy doing in a few more years........pure kid stuff. (We always do some of those kinds of things on our trips....this time, I want to really GO for it! lol)

What would you say the second-best amusement park in the southeast is?? (I don't have interest in doing Disney, but would like to do something similar that is also pretty big and great....).

Seriously - Great Wolf Lodge and Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. Your kids will have a blast. And while not as expansive as Disney World, Busch Gardens is a lovely amusement park with tons of trees for shade, which I feel is important to a pleasant day.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,143,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No, not just talking rides. Talking about everything. There's really something for everyone, given that there's four parks, two water parks, and Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney). And you don't really have to be "into" the characters to enjoy some of the character specific offerings there. I LOVE the Toy Story rides even though I'm not into the characters (both Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios ... very fun and interactive). EPCOT and Animal Kingdom aren't very character driven. And if they like Star Wars (seems like everyone does these days) there's the new Star Wars area in Hollywood Studios.

There are plenty of rides that are fun that aren't really crazy (in fact, there really aren't many "crazy" rides at Disney).

But it's just the overall quality. I remember going to Universal for the Harry Potter stuff, and it was good, but I couldn't help but think "how would Disney have done this differently?"

And Disney has definitely upped their food game in recent years!!
Yeah, and if it wasn't for all those people, it might actually be enjoyable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel