Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 07:39 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times

Advertisements

I’m set to go on a Mediterranean cruise in the spring. I found a reasonable non stop flight aboard Norwegian Air.

I’m a little concerned though. Reviews online and on their Facebook page are pretty bad.

Any frequent fliers with them that can give me some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 08:02 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I’m set to go on a Mediterranean cruise in the spring. I found a reasonable non stop flight aboard Norwegian Air.

I’m a little concerned though. Reviews online and on their Facebook page are pretty bad.

Any frequent fliers with them that can give me some advice?
Is there ANY airline that has good reviews??? (exclude first class, please)

The only worry I would have with Norwegian are replacement flights if there Is a problem. Is their next flight the next day, or worse, two days later? Because the other airlines aren't going to accept you - even IF they have open seats.

Remember to arrive at least one day before your cruise departure.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Is there ANY airline that has good reviews??? (exclude first class, please)

The only worry I would have with Norwegian are replacement flights if there Is a problem. Is their next flight the next day, or worse, two days later? Because the other airlines aren't going to accept you - even IF they have open seats.

Remember to arrive at least one day before your cruise departure.
Agree with your point about reciprocal rights - there aren't any. That's the problem with low-cost airlines if "you have to get there". They will cheerfully refund your money and leave you without any flights, or rebook you 3 days later.

As far as reviews, it's transportation. I wouldn't look for much more than that if it's in economy. If it's on a 787 at least it's going to have better air quality and decent entertainment options.

Personally if I were depending on it for a cruise I'd look at traveling 2 days beforehand and booking a hotel for 2 nights - if something was delayed then you'd have options, and it would also give some sightseeing time. That cost could be weighed against a higher cost with the bigger carriers who have an alliance with others.

And of course, buy travel insurance...

Old 10-27-2019, 10:32 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Personally, I’d consider Norwegian for a last minute flight where I can dispute the charges if they go out of business. I don’t think they’re financially strong enough to bet on a flight 6 months from now. Even then, you run the risk of getting stranded in Europe where you have to fork out an extra thousand or two to get home. Thomas Cook stranded thousands of Brits recently. They won’t be the last casualty.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:29 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I'm certainly not a frequent flyer with Norwegian, having done only one round-trip to London two years ago, but I do have another flight to London booked with them for January 2020.

My experience with Norwegian was good, although I didn't care much for their food. I loved that 787 Dreamliner airplane, though! I had much less jet lag on that trip than I'd ever had on trips to Europe before, and I credit the airplane for that.

As regards the possibility that my flight will be canceled or the airline will go out of business, I'm not too worried about it. I'm scheduled to arrive in London two days before my train tour to France and Switzerland begins, and I've bought trip insurance.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
We flew on them Boston to Madrid, only $200.

I found it to be pretty much same as any other airline, if anything the airplane itself was nicer than most since was a brand new 787. They did have the usual budget airlines dealie where you have to pay to check luggage, I think $50.

EDIT =
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I loved that 787 Dreamliner airplane
Funny you typed this while I was typing my post. Our Norwegian 787 still had new car smell from the seats.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:54 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
I agree with others warning that if something happens to your flight, there is a much higher chance you are stuck for a day or two or more versus one of the larger carriers with more contingency aircraft and reciprocal agreements. So I would book for two days in advance and enjoy my destination for a couple days if all goes smoothly.

Note: if you have a credit card with travel benefits, then you most likely have protection should you miss your cruise due to a flight issue, or if you can't use your hotel for the same reason. It's just nice to know, although there is probably some maximum on that benefit so your cruise may cost significantly more than what they'd reimburse you for. But make sure you pay for your flight with that card and that you used that card for your other travel purchases.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Thank you. I think we will look to another airline ad I did plan to travel two days prior just because of this. We are really supposed to leave from Athens on the cruise but found that flying to Barcelona and then getting a jumper over to Athens is far less expensive.

One airline that has wonderful reviews is Emirates. Even on their Facebook page. People love them.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Thank you. I think we will look to another airline ad I did plan to travel two days prior just because of this. We are really supposed to leave from Athens on the cruise but found that flying to Barcelona and then getting a jumper over to Athens is far less expensive.

One airline that has wonderful reviews is Emirates. Even on their Facebook page. People love them.
I highly recommend Emirates, the only complaint I have had with them is that my flights weren't longer, and I was flying coach!. If you can fly out of Newark they have a direct flight to Athens and the route often goes on sale between the upper $400 to mid $500 range. They also fly JFK to Milan for a little less but unless you want to add a few days in Italy before jumping over to Greece it may not be worth it.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I highly recommend Emirates, the only complaint I have had with them is that my flights weren't longer, and I was flying coach!. If you can fly out of Newark they have a direct flight to Athens and the route often goes on sale between the upper $400 to mid $500 range. They also fly JFK to Milan for a little less but unless you want to add a few days in Italy before jumping over to Greece it may not be worth it.
I would be just fine with spending an extra day or two in Italy. I will look at that option as well.

My great grandparents came here from Florence, Italy. I wouldn’t mind seeing it at all.

This will be my first trip to Europe. I’m glad for the cruise so I can see way more than I would have if I just flew to a country. My next Alaska trip will be a cruise as well. We flew in 2017 and winged it for a week. So much fun but Alaska is just huge and driving it is a lot.

If anyone wants a review of Alaska Air, I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel