Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,039 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm taking my 3rd trip cross country in a week. However I haven't travelled in winter before. I've read the other posts and have a few more specific questions.
I'm going first to LA, then towards Tucson just to avoid all potential elevation/weather issues with Flagstaff etc. Other times i've gone, I've done the 40.

My car has new tires but it's not 4 wheel drive.

I'm trying to decide what are my best options from Tucson given that i'm trying to make the trip as short as possible, but also safe, so will prioritize steering clear of bad weather.

I will be tracking the weather as I go. However I'm not sure if there are surprise elevations or just certain areas i should tend to avoid in the more southern route.

From Tucson it seems I could either go up to Albuquerque and just stay on the 40, which would probably be the shortest, i'm only concerned about hitting any snow spots due to elevation around there that may be on the route even if it says it's not snowing in Albuquerque.

Or from Tucson I could do the 10/20 towards Dallas and take the 30 to the 40 after that.

Or take the 20 all the way east and then head up north.

I had read on other posts that the long stretches through Texas on the southern route are not great because, well it gets boring and there's limited gas stations.

Open to everyone's thoughts.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 10:36 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireTravels View Post
I'm taking my 3rd trip cross country in a week.
Peak Holiday busy and heading into winter... couldn't wait until May?
3200 miles ÷60mph =53 hours behind the wheel ÷8hrs = 7 days rolling (plus rest/weather)

With the expenses... Gas + Motels + Food + TheInevitable... really sure you wouldn't rather fly?
Delay the trip until the weather allows the trip to be a vacation too.

Quote:
However I haven't travelled in winter before.
Open to everyone's thoughts.
Start with the most direct route (I-80/90 straight through)...with a careful eye on weather conditions.
Expect that you will be able to manage unless/until you know otherwise.
However... Be prepared to layover or to redirect the trip around the weather.

Keep a paper Map Atlas in the car with you.
Don't go alone.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-10-2019 at 10:46 AM..

Old 12-10-2019, 12:10 PM

4,604 posts, read 6,374,299 times
In winter, from Tucson, I would take I-10 to I-20 to Atlanta, where I'd catch I-85 which merges with I-95 in VA....to your destination.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-10-2019, 12:17 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Start with the most direct route (I-80/90 straight through)...with a careful eye on weather conditions.

This

If you have a 3 day forecast that looks snow-free, roll east on I-80. Only divert south if weather forces you away from the most direct route. I'd try to make it past Salt Lake City to Wyoming the first day. Omaha the 2nd day. Ohio the 3rd day. I'd only go to LA if it's dumping in Tahoe. In December, you always want to get as far east as you can on the direct route. You're bound to hit weather somewhere. You want the extra cushion in case the weather is in the northeast where you have no choice but to wait it out.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 1,039 times
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!!

Old 12-12-2019, 09:31 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,133,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
In winter, from Tucson, I would take I-10 to I-20 to Atlanta, where I'd catch I-85 which merges with I-95 in VA....to your destination.

Regards
Gemstone1
Agree, I’ve used this route, although not in winter. Staying south as long as possible makes sense, you’re likely to run into bad weather on I-40.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:35 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post

Regards
Gemstone1
I've often taken 95 between NC and NJ - holidays (actually, ANY time) it can be really, really problematic between Richmond and Baltimore, and bad, too, around NYC. This would be the last thing you'd want to deal with after driving several thousand miles. If you do take 95, when in NJ consider taking the Garden State Parkway north to where it intersects with the NY Thruway (I287), then east to CT. A bit roundabout, but usually more reliable time-wise than going straight through NYC. When you're in south NJ, consult WAZE or similar, or listen to AM 880 or 1060 for traffic reports - make the Parkway v. straight through NYC decision on the fly.

Plan B would be taking 20 to Birmingham, the north on 59, a short time on 40, then 81 up the Shenandoah Valley till you hit 84 in Scranton, PA. Then east on 84 till CT. It's probably longer than the 85-95 suggestion, but is likely to have less traffic (and would certainly be prettier than 85-95). I don't know how the weather (i.e., snow) would differ from 85-95 - likely a greater chance of not good weather on that, a more inland, route.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:45 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
The reality is that you’re not going to be able to pick the best route until a couple days before departure. Even then, you will likely change your route 3 or 4 days into the trip. A 7 day weather forecast in the winter isn’t very reliable beyond day 3.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:36 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
I can tell you how you won't run into much snow (around Flagstaff) before you reach Memphis, but you're on you're own after that: I5 to I40!

Old 12-12-2019, 01:49 PM

401 posts, read 427,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I've often taken 95 between NC and NJ - holidays (actually, ANY time) it can be really, really problematic between Richmond and Baltimore, and bad, too, around NYC. This would be the last thing you'd want to deal with after driving several thousand miles. If you do take 95, when in NJ consider taking the Garden State Parkway north to where it intersects with the NY Thruway (I287), then east to CT. A bit roundabout, but usually more reliable time-wise than going straight through NYC. When you're in south NJ, consult WAZE or similar, or listen to AM 880 or 1060 for traffic reports - make the Parkway v. straight through NYC decision on the fly.

Plan B would be taking 20 to Birmingham, the north on 59, a short time on 40, then 81 up the Shenandoah Valley till you hit 84 in Scranton, PA. Then east on 84 till CT. It's probably longer than the 85-95 suggestion, but is likely to have less traffic (and would certainly be prettier than 85-95). I don't know how the weather (i.e., snow) would differ from 85-95 - likely a greater chance of not good weather on that, a more inland, route.
Agree 100% with Plan B avoid Washington DC/ Baltimore and Philadelphia unless on a Sunday other times traffic is crazy. Also avoid NYC and Georgia Washington Bridge. If weather is good the 81 to 84 is the way to go to avoid big city traffic. More miles but set the cruise control and go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel