Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:47 PM

166 posts, read 489,786 times

Advertisements

Barring a winter storm, is the interstate pretty clear passing through the state right now? By clear I mean no snow and/or ice.

Also guess I'd need to carry tire chains?

Am traveling from the Seattle area to St. Louis within the next couple weeks and appreciate any advice, including whether dropping down further south and taking I-80 across might be a more prudent route.

I'm posting this in various state forums for advice, but especially hope for advice from those who've traveled the entire route during winter. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
I know this thread is old, and could not help the OP. However, traveling cross Country in winter can be a very tricky experience. Crossing the Mountains is always a problem , as no matter which route the chances of inclement weather remain. The orig. intent was to compare I-80 to I-90. In my option , all forecasts being equal, taking I-90 should be less snow covered. I-80 goes through many different weather zones compared to the all northern route .
Something that can be helpful when crossing the Rockies is being prepared before you depart. Always Cary extra blankets, caned food, shovel, salt and or sand. Regarding tires, most States now recognize the use of winter tires in place of chains. ( the tire must have the M & S letters on the sidewall. ). Chains are still the best, but, some cars are not able to use them. Most likely when you get to the need for chains, the snow depth will stop further travel if you are driving a vehicle with low ground clearence.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
We are preparing to make the same big drive in about a year or so. Would it be better just to shoot across on 40 then up to WA?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
We are preparing to make the same big drive in about a year or so. Would it be better just to shoot across on 40 then up to WA?
If it is in March or later next year, I would just take the I-90 routing and monitor the road conditions. From St. Louis to Seattle, that would be I-70 to I-29 to I-90.

If it will be in the dead of winter, you may want to use I-40 and then come up I-5 but you still can hit snow and in southern Oregon going over Siskiyou Summit and the several smaller passes that follow. It will be quite a few additional miles and extra cost for fuel doing that, however. There is a good detour around those passes in Oregon if you are not in a hurry or don't mind spending the money on even more extra fuel where you probably will not need to carry chains. Let me know if you'd like that routing. If you'd like more help in routing or the exact cost of using a more circuitous routing, let me know and I can give you a hand with it.

JMO and my opinion really doesn't mean much or will agree with other opinions that folks have here on this board.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
If it is in March or later next year, I would just take the I-90 routing and monitor the road conditions. From St. Louis to Seattle, that would be I-70 to I-29 to I-90.

If it will be in the dead of winter, you may want to use I-40 and then come up I-5 but you still can hit snow and in southern Oregon going over Siskiyou Summit and the several smaller passes that follow. It will be quite a few additional miles and extra cost for fuel doing that, however. There is a good detour around those passes in Oregon if you are not in a hurry or don't mind spending the money on even more extra fuel where you probably will not need to carry chains. Let me know if you'd like that routing. If you'd like more help in routing or the exact cost of using a more circuitous routing, let me know and I can give you a hand with it.

JMO and my opinion really doesn't mean much or will agree with other opinions that folks have here on this board.
I still think I-90 or maybe even better the high plains route I-94/ I-90 in winter. Its going to be very cold, but they don't get a lot of snow, for the same reason.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:51 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:

I may be doing a drive from Kansas City to Seattle this summer and wondered if there was a route that avoids as many of the passes and mountains as possible. I can take more time if necessary, which I'd rather do than drive on steep, thin, curvy roads over mountains. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 PM

hi xz2y. I wouldn't worry at all about mountain passes if you stay on the interstate highways especially if you're traveling in the summer. All interstate highways are designed and engineered to be very safe and easy to drive.

The mountain passes that the interstates do transverse will not have any extremely curvy or narrow roadways. Even the grades on interstates are usually limited to about 6% (with some exceptions).

You've probably heard of passes like Cabbage Hill on I-84 through northeastern Oregon. That is about a 6% grade and has a few switch backs but last for a relatively short distance. Again, interstate highways will have shoulders and wide lanes so even though the road might switch back and be slightly curvy, they will be relatively easy to drive.

Don't worry about a thing if you are planning on staying on interstate highways. If you need help with routing or want to compare one route with another in terms of time and extra fuel it might cost, let me know and I can give you a hand with it.

eta: btw, again, the recommended route would probably be I-29 to I-90.

I-29 to I-80, to I-15, to I-84, to I-82, to I-90 would probably a few less miles but more mountain passes.

Last edited by poopskooper; 03-02-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
hi xz2y. I wouldn't worry at all about mountain passes if you stay on the interstate highways especially if you're traveling in the summer. All interstate highways are designed and engineered to be very safe and easy to drive.

The mountain passes that the interstates do transverse will not have any extremely curvy or narrow roadways. Even the grades on interstates are usually limited to about 6% (with some exceptions).

You've probably heard of passes like Cabbage Hill on I-84 through northeastern Oregon. That is about a 6% grade and has a few switch backs but last for a relatively short distance. Again, interstate highways will have shoulders and wide lanes so even though the road might switch back and be slightly curvy, they will be relatively easy to drive.

Don't worry about a thing if you are planning on staying on interstate highways. If you need help with routing or want to compare one route with another in terms of time and extra fuel it might cost, let me know and I can give you a hand with it.
Thank you for the good information. I will look at more detailed routes and get back to you.

Question: do all the interstates that you refer to have guard rails as well as the shoulders you mentioned? I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable driving on high mountain roads with only shoulders.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thank you for the good information. I will look at more detailed routes and get back to you.

Question: do all the interstates that you refer to have guard rails as well as the shoulders you mentioned? I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable driving on high mountain roads with only shoulders.
Yes, guardrails will be in place where needed. I'll look up some Google Street View images for you so you can see what it looks like on some of the passes. Check back to this thread later.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 PM

@xz2y, okay, here are some Google Street Views of a few of the passes and you can see for yourself that they are nowhere near narrow, winding roads with severe drop offs or anything close to what you could consider those things. Intestate highways have certain standards by which they are built and engineered as we have already mentioned some of the things like wide lanes (at least 12-feet), at least two lanes in each direction, grades of 6% or less (with some exceptions), etc. You can read about the standards on this wiki page, click here.

Here's Cabbage Hill/Deadman Pass (elevation 3,620 feet) in Oregon, I-84 eastbound, on one of the 6% grades with gentle switchback pending (guard rail to the right) that we've mentioned before, click here

Each image can be panned around to see all sides and behind you by grabbing the image and holding down on your left mouse button. You can also go forward and backward by clicking on the white arrows embedded in the images.

Cabbage Hill satellite view showing very gentle switchbacks and the short distance the climb actually is. Hardly what you can even call a switchback, right? It seems more of one when you're actually driving, however. click here

Here is I-90 approaching Homestead Pass in Montana (ele. 6,393) at the Continental Divide (guard rail on the right) and as you can see, no big deal ...not like you are going to fall off the mountain if you drift off the highway , click here ...this will be the highest point on I-90. No big deal, right?

This is just leaving Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 in Washington (elevation 3,022 feet) no guadrail but Jersey barriers on each side; even better, right? click here

You'll laugh at this one ...this is in Wyoming near Buford and near the Continental Divide on I-80. The elevation of Buford is about 8,000 feet and at the Continental Divide, the elevation is around 8,640 feet. This will be the highest point on I-80 should you choose this route. Believe it or not, this is even higher than Donner Pass --a bit over 7,000 feet-- going over the Sierra. No guardrails at all here ...does it scare you? This is at over 8,000 feet above sea level; can you believe it? click here

We can pull up more images if you wish as you choose which route you actually want to take. But again, if you stay on interstate highways, they are easy to drive with wide lanes, gentle curves, relatively wide shoulders, no severe grades ...and lots of truck traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington