Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2019, 01:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

I have a major international trip coming up that I've been planning for over a year. I recently had a minor injury to my shoulder area that is nearly healed. I just need to be careful of putting weight on my shoulder. Any suggestions regarding luggage? I only have a large piece and a smaller carryon piece with the four wheels. I normally check the larger piece and have the carryon inside the plane with me as it contains items that will carry me in the event the larger piece gets lost in transit. I may just opt to check both pieces and just take a smaller bag on the plane to keep me entertained (long haul flight).

Any suggestions from those that have experience traveling with a disability and the strategies you have used for luggage? What types of luggage should I purchase? Which types are less likely to fall over when full? Thank you.

Last edited by Chatteress; 12-21-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 01:46 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I would avoid any carryons that are so large that they have to go in the overhead compartment. Flight attendants often will not put bags in the overhead for you. So you're basically at the mercy of the kindness of fellow passengers. I find that's easier when exiting the plane than when boarding. You're better off finding a small underseat spinner. The smaller, the better ... with things like charging points, there's competition for underseat real estate.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I would avoid any carryons that are so large that they have to go in the overhead compartment. Flight attendants often will not put bags in the overhead for you. So you're basically at the mercy of the kindness of fellow passengers. I find that's easier when exiting the plane than when boarding. You're better off finding a small underseat spinner. The smaller, the better ... with things like charging points, there's competition for underseat real estate.
Yeah ... I may just need to bring a tote on the plane and just check a second bag (souvenirs and to better distribute the weight between the two cases). It'll be unrealistic for me to only bring the big luggage and a tote bag as this will be a three week trip.

Old 12-21-2019, 03:34 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah ... I may just need to bring a tote on the plane and just check a second bag (souvenirs and to better distribute the weight between the two cases). It'll be unrealistic for me to only bring the big luggage and a tote bag as this will be a three week trip.
You can carry enough clothes for a 3 week trip in a small bag, most people bring to many clothes. Pack as light as you can, becasue even lifting the bags from the baggage claim onto your trolley, can be hard on the shoulders.
We traveled in Europe for a month with only a carry on. I paid for laundry to be done about half way through, & most nights I washed out my undies & other light articles, in the sink. If you put them on a radiator, they will be dry by the morning. Pack only clothes than can be interchanged & mix & match.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:57 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I agree with evening sun 100%. We have gone on multiple trips for 3-4 weeks with only one carryon each. There are drop off same day laundered all over the world.

WHATEVER you decide to do, there are certain things that you should never, never, ever check.

Prescription meds and (if you're going overseas) any OTC you feel you might need. (DH got a cold once and finding a ORC med that was okay with his high BP wasn't easy.)
Camera, phone, tablet, kindle, jewelry, GPS and other targets for theft. I bring all the plugs, too.
Any toiletries you cannot do without - that's usually a pretty short list. For me, it's bar soap and makeup remover type stuff (allergies).

Old 12-26-2019, 09:47 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Travel with your arm in a sling, as a signal of your disability. At the airport, request priority boarding. Without exception, airport/airline staff will rush to accommodate you, no questions asked. Please don't abuse the privilege, use it only if you need to.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:35 AM

Thank you everyone for your feedback. My shoulder is getting better by the way.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:55 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Many airlines will transport you around the airport in a wheelchair, if you ask. It’s a complimentary service.

I had a torn ligament years ago and was at Montreal Airport, catching a flight back to San Francisco. The staff at Air Canada saw me hobbling around on crutches and insisted on putting me in a wheelchair. I cleared customs & immigration first and had plenty of time, so I went into the lounge for drinks!

Old 02-02-2020, 02:42 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I just returned from my trip. Although I had to use my big luggage, I was able to get assistance at the airports, etc. My shoulder is doing much better now.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:29 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Depending on where you are going, you might consider mailing a small package to the hotel where you’re staying. If it’s just toiletries, you can toss what’s not used and go to the next destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel