Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 05:42 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times

Advertisements

Why not. Just go for it long as you got enough cash with you you’ll be fine. Can always get hostel or an airBnB easy enough. I wouldn’t do it myself but that’s cause I like to save every penny when travelling. So I spend hours looking for best prices of planes, accommodation, public transportation etc. But if I had say 2 grand spare I’d see myself just jumping on plane to somewhere with no plans sure. Within reason obviously. If it’s the EU or most developed countries I wouldn’t think twice about doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 09:18 AM

595 posts, read 677,358 times
I love traveling this way. When I plan a trip somewhere, I only set the bookends. Airfare is set up so I know what city I arrive and what city I depart. I’ll book a car in advance as well. Usually I’ll book a hotel for a the first and the last night. If the last night has a no cancellation policy, I’ll pick someplace cheap, worst case, I eat the cost. Everything else in between is an adventure.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astarnamedthesun View Post
Hello,

Has anyone traveled to a new city/country without previously making arrangements for accommodation?
How did that work out for you?
Yes, in the past but never for the first night. I always have a place lined up for when I arrive. I don't like being under pressure to find a place when you are tired from traveling and trying to get your bearings.

The trouble with going without reservations is that you spend a lot of time wandering around trying to find a vacancy, and you are hauling all your belongings all over the city with you. If it is a place where hotels are widely scattered you either walk a lot or take taxis. Cities with crappy sidewalks (or none) while you are towing a wheelie all over is not that fun.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:32 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
This can be done. Hotels are almost always available near the Train Stations (In Europe, Asia) and near Airports.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:20 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the lack of adventure and overabundance of mediocrity in my life that I feel like I should just book a flight to Amsterdam or Kiev or somewhere exciting with zero plans and just figure it all out as I go.

Make sure you have some local currency, a guide book, and your towel.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:09 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Yes "Cash is King" is the best policy. And a map of local Public Transport services.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:10 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
I'm with the first night or two and maybe the last night being secured group but like the flexibility of winging it in between in most cases. Big events that make lodging scarce will change my approach as will unique situations as in visiting Cuba where the American government limits opportunities and internet may be spotty.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
I love traveling this way. When I plan a trip somewhere, I only set the bookends. Airfare is set up so I know what city I arrive and what city I depart. I’ll book a car in advance as well. Usually I’ll book a hotel for a the first and the last night. If the last night has a no cancellation policy, I’ll pick someplace cheap, worst case, I eat the cost. Everything else in between is an adventure.
Me too...

The most memorable places and people were not on my 'agenda'.

"book-ends' is my usual plan. (but seldom in hotels, only if flight schedule is disruptive to a guest home style lodging.) You learn so much more about what to do in an area from local hosts.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:20 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Hello,

Has anyone traveled to a new city/country without previously making arrangements for accommodation?
How did that work out for you?

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the lack of adventure and overabundance of mediocrity in my life that I feel like I should just book a flight to Amsterdam or Kiev or somewhere exciting with zero plans and just figure it all out as I go. However, that's not the best idea so I was wondering if anyone had actually done something similar?
I haven't traveled to a foreign country without reservations, but I have done so many times in the US. I recall back in about 1986, my wife and I booked a flight to Denver, Co (from back east) to tour the state because we had never been there. When we got there, I rented a car and we took off driving with nothing but a road map to guide us. Didn't have a computer or cell phone or GPS or any of that stuff. Just a road map and a tank full of gas.

We spent a full week just driving around the state. When we found something interesting, we would stop for the night, get a motel, have dinner, and enjoy the sights. The next day, we got up and did the same thing again making our way along a LONG circular route that took us to many parts of the state. We finally made it back to Denver a week later, turned in the car, and flew home.

I enjoy deciding what to do while on the go. There are enough schedules and deadlines to have to meet while at work, so why set up more schedules and deadlines for yourself on your vacation? Relax! Go somewhere when you want to go and leave when you want to leave. The only deadline I had to meet on that trip was to be back in Denver a week later to catch my plane home.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
...many times in the US. I recall back in about 1986, my wife and I booked a flight to Denver, Co (from back east) to tour the state because we had never been there. When we got there, I rented a car and we took off driving with nothing but a road map to guide us. Didn't have a computer or cell phone or GPS or any of that stuff. Just a road map and a tank full of gas....The only deadline I had to meet on that trip was to be back in Denver a week later to catch my plane home.
Similar nearly every weekend growing up / living in CO and WY... Throw the knapsack on the motorcycle and go 'wherever'... "Then Came Bronson" style. [dailymotion]x6d1zj2[/dailymotion]

For our last RTW... we bought a one-way ticket to Sydney and figured it out from there (Had a yr to get home). Some very 'unexpected pleasures' along the way. Much different than envisioned... Much Better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel