Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 04:31 PM

23,174 posts, read 12,366,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Oh, of course, I guess that makes sense, at least in the short term for Delta. My long-term loyalty is to companies who treat their customers better than that. For example, Holland America cruise line is being very flexible with its customers right now. Impressively so. I've always liked Holland, have traveled with them many times, and this really cements my loyalty. I'm not feeling that kinda love for Delta right now.

Well the thing with airlines is it is pretty much proven that what people say they want (customer service and passenger amenities) and what they actually want (lowest price) are too different things. So you don't feel the love for Delta? American and United and others are going to apply similar policies.

People take cruises because they are fun. If they cease to be fun, people will stop taking them. Nobody flies because it is fun. They fly in order to get to the fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 04:33 PM

23,174 posts, read 12,366,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Wait...from how I read it I thought anybody with a flight IN March or April can change it for free? So if you made a reservation prior to March you can change.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ty/5002855002/

Well that was just announced today and is great news but I'd want to see the offer straight from the airline not some author's interpretation of it.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:15 AM

6,544 posts, read 6,764,268 times
Quote:
Wait...from how I read it I thought anybody with a flight IN March or April can change it for free? So if you made a reservation prior to March you can change.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ty/5002855002/
Great news! That is a new change.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:19 AM

6,544 posts, read 6,764,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Well that was just announced today and is great news but I'd want to see the offer straight from the airline not some author's interpretation of it.
I just checked Delta's website. Tickets purchased on or before March 9, for travel during March or April, can be exchanged for future travel (I think it said within one year). No straight up refund is being offered for cancellations.

But that's better than their previous notice.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:35 AM

16,467 posts, read 12,683,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I just checked Delta's website. Tickets purchased on or before March 9, for travel during March or April, can be exchanged for future travel (I think it said within one year). No straight up refund is being offered for cancellations.
Right, because at this point, we're still talking about voluntary cancellation/rescheduling by the passengers. Not the airline cancelling the flight.

Old 03-10-2020, 04:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,207,468 times
The airlines will fly a smaller plane before they cancel.

To keep your chances low, try and book between hubs.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:55 PM

1,840 posts, read 688,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
False. Spirit is the only US based airline that has not announced that they will not enforce penalty provisions for passengers cancelling reservations. I have a JetBlue flight scheduled in a week that I can cancel for a credit with no penalty fee, much more generous than the restrictions on such a thing a week ago.
I have a Spirit round-trip reservation for the end of the month. It was $127 round-trip. I have no intent on going anymore.

As of now, the website says

To our Guests: We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls. If you are not traveling within the next 48 hours, please wait to contact customer service and give us a chance to help people traveling sooner. For the latest travel alerts, click here.

When I click here, there is a form. I filled the form with my confirmation code and got an auto generated response. I didn't cancel the flight (via log in the normal way) though as if I did that, all I would likely get is a $10 voucher. I'm hoping I get an actual response this week and a full credit for future travel. If don't hear from them, likely late next week I will call them.

In a way, it does suck that they making it convoluted to get a full value credit - unlike the other airlines, but I realize it's Spirit. When I booked it, it was a lot cheaper than Southwest and obviously didn't factor in a pandemic. I'm not going to lose my shirt though over $127, but hope they ease up and start offering customers who won't travel this month a full credit for future travel.

I think they are flying mostly empty planes right now also. It's surprising they won't cancel the flights as there is likely zero demand but a lot of capacity. Likely they are willing to take losses (flying empty planes for the rest of the month) and factor that in for the bailout money they want.

Last edited by g555; 03-16-2020 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 03:40 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,916,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
I have a Spirit round-trip reservation for the end of the month. It was $127 round-trip. I have no intent on going anymore.

As of now, the website says

To our Guests: We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls. If you are not traveling within the next 48 hours, please wait to contact customer service and give us a chance to help people traveling sooner. For the latest travel alerts, click here.

When I click here, there is a form. I filled the form with my confirmation code and got an auto generated response. I didn't cancel the flight (via log in the normal way) though as if I did that, all I would likely get is a $10 voucher. I'm hoping I get an actual response this week and a full credit for future travel. If don't hear from them, likely late next week I will call them.

In a way, it does suck that they making it convoluted to get a full value credit - unlike the other airlines, but I realize it's Spirit. When I booked it, it was a lot cheaper than Southwest and obviously didn't factor in a pandemic. I'm not going to lose my shirt though over $127, but hope they ease up and start offering customers who won't travel this month a full credit for future travel.

I think they are flying mostly empty planes right now also. It's surprising they won't cancel the flights as there is likely zero demand but a lot of capacity. Likely they are willing to take losses (flying empty planes for the rest of the month) and factor that in for the bailout money they want.
I just looked at the Spirit website. From the home page scroll to the bottom to the section in black where it says "Talk to Us" then click on "Help Center." That will take you to the "Most Common Questions" section. Click on the first item which says "What is Spirit doing to address concerns about COVID-19 coronavirus?" You will get this:

What is Spirit doing to address concerns about COVID-19 coronavirus?
Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates:
Spirit Airlines is closely tracking developments surrounding the COVID-19 coronavirus to help you plan your travel. This information includes answers to frequently asked questions meant to keep you safe and healthy, along with our flexible travel policy for Guests who must alter travel plans due to COVID-19. This page will be updated as new information becomes available.
We recommend visiting cdc.gov/coronavirus for the latest details on the virus, which is regularly updated.
Flexible Travel Policy
We recognize the potential uncertainty regarding travel plans during this time and offer the following flexible travel policy.
Spirit Guests who must alter their travel plans due to COVID-19 are eligible to receive a reservation credit for the full value of their reservation. This reservation credit can be used for up to 6 months to book any flight currently available (including beyond the 6-month timeframe), and it can be used towards flights as well as other options (excluding 3rd party products).

· To change your reservation and claim your 6 month Reservation Credit, please fill out the form here.

· Guests who cancel their reservation can request a refund of their travel insurance premiums from Travel Guard, if eligible, here.

· Guests needing to cancel or make changes to a reservation due to other circumstances are advised to make modifications to their reservation online.
If you filled out the form in the section I highlighted here in red it looks like you are set until you decide to reschedule.

This is very similar to the process I completed to cancel my JetBlue flights. I got an email acknowledging my request to cancel and they stated it could take up to 30 days for the credit to show up online.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,901 posts, read 58,613,296 times
When in doubt of ability to complete air travel,. If possible and with their routing... Book SWA. (Free changes and cancellation with 10 min of departure.). We book all our elderly and children with possibilities of illness or change onto SWA. Also any events that risk being cancelled, we book SWA. I would expect I have over 50 changes / yr. Had 4 yesterday alone. I expect many more this month as airlines and events have additional cancelations.

International carriers have always been accommodating to me.

Budget carriers NO... You pay. Low price and you forfeit the fare if you need to cancel. If airline cancels, they will usually offer alternative flights, but don't expect it to be to your convenience. Take what they offer and be grateful for getting there.

Safe travels.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:54 PM

8,000 posts, read 5,442,488 times
Quote:
When they cancel flights what method goes into this? I'm assuming capacity.
No, not capacity. Usually how easy it is to get the cancelled ppl to their destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel