Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 02:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times

Advertisements

^ As I posted in this or the other 'refund' thread, I was waiting to see if AA would refund our G Daughter's flight from PHL to SRQ, round two of seeing FL colleges, in early April.

The AA site was somewhat wonky and in the refund vs voucher section that wanted some considerable 'documentation' as to 'why', medical note, et al.

I simply hit the refund button and waited, as I also received that 'review of eligibility' email...

Received the AA refund notice today from AA, and my CC was credited: the total $518 RT fare (inc tax), but not the $12 each way 'extra' for 'preferred seat selection'.
Not going to chase them for $24.

I have zero 'pull'/v few miles with AA, but got my money back. Be patient...
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 05:53 AM

^ Update...
This morning I received another email from AA which noted their refund of the $12 charge each way, for the 'upgraded' seats I had booked for our G Daughter.
So, a full refund back from AA.

With a month long trip planned for this Autumn, back to Iceland/The Faroes and Ireland, it will be interesting to see if that trip remains possible and what stance Icelandair, Atlantic Airways, (Faroe Island airline), and AerLingus take on refunds, if those flights become cancelled/insupportable.
GL, mD

Old 04-29-2020, 04:26 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Good news. My credit card company issued a refund for our cancelled flight to Greece. $400.
The airline cancelled it. It was through Travelocity who I'm guessing, didn't bother to dispute it.

So it's worth a try with your CC company, rather than accepting a voucher you won't use. I didn't have to prove anything, either.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:58 AM

An anecdotal update on cancelled flight refunds:
We had a month long trip scheduled this past October for Iceland, (3rd trip), The Faroe Islands, (2nd trip), and Ireland, (1st trip)...

The Iceland Air and segment and Aer Lingus return flight from Ireland to US, were expensive Saga Class and Premo Biz Class, respectively.

The intermediate flights on Faroe Islands Atlantic Airways were standard class.

As CV19 forced the airlines to cancel flights, I filled out the refund forms on all three airlines:

-Atlantic refunded our flight(s) cost in 24 hrs.
-Iceland Air refunded our Saga Class, (like 1990s biz class seating), in late October.
-Aer Lingus finally refunded the very pricey Biz Class for two bookings yesterday.

Good to have the dough back in our CC accounts. I was concerned about Iceland Air and Aer Lingus staying solvent and getting refunds.

Fwiw, I had read that bugging them via email, etc was not the method to take, so I did not communicate with either after the initial refund requests, though it was difficult to resist doing so.

Hope all the people with cancelled flights got their money refunded and with luck we can reload for 2021, but at 73 1/2, there are not a lot of 'years left' to do stuff 'next year'.
GL, mD

Old 12-11-2020, 07:12 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
It is unfortunate that we cannot get feedback to executives at AA (and others) that their refund and change rules are preventing many of us from buying tickets.

If they would allow no-fee changes and cash refunds I would be buying tickets for a few trips that we hope to go on in 2021 including Europe and Mexico. But with the uncertainty, I will not be buying tickets until we are absolutely certain that the trips will occur.

The result of their unfriendly rules is that AA will not get revenue from me for many months.

I have several friends who are in the same delima.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

The result of their unfriendly rules is that AA will not get revenue from me for many months.

I have several friends who are in the same delima.
Probably a company to avoid making LT plans and investment.
AA may be the least likely US carrier to survive Covid.

Not sure how US carriers can swallow the daily cash bleed.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It is unfortunate that we cannot get feedback to executives at AA (and others) that their refund and change rules are preventing many of us from buying tickets.

If they would allow no-fee changes and cash refunds I would be buying tickets for a few trips that we hope to go on in 2021 including Europe and Mexico. But with the uncertainty, I will not be buying tickets until we are absolutely certain that the trips will occur.
American has gotten rid of change fees for all fare categories except for basic economy.

Newsroom - Flexibility Without the Fee: American Airlines Eliminates Change Fees on International Tickets - American Airlines Group, Inc.

They will however still hit you with fare difference on voluntary changes and that fare difference can be quite high.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:26 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
American has gotten rid of change fees for all fare categories except for basic economy.

Newsroom - Flexibility Without the Fee: American Airlines Eliminates Change Fees on International Tickets - American Airlines Group, Inc.

They will however still hit you with fare difference on voluntary changes and that fare difference can be quite high.

Same with United and probably others.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Yes and no. They don't refund your money. They give you a travel credit. And you can only change one time.

So, if I buy two RT business class tickets to Europe for $7000 and then have to cancel, they keep my money and I have one year to use that credit. And I can only reschedule that trip one time.

It's unfortunate that they make things so complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel