Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 07:56 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times

Advertisements

Aksarben, don't forget that in Darwin, MN we also have the world's largest ball of twine. Yes, I have seen the both, world traveler that I am. Heh. One is larger by volume and the other by weight.

The source of the Mississippi river is in Itasca State Park and if you visit it is nearly an obligation to wade across the rocky little stream where it begins.

We also have the Spam Museum in Austin, MN. Yes, the little rectangular can of meat product. Nearby you can eat a spamburger and fries in a restaurant.

Wall Drug in Wall, SD has been a frequent stop on our way to the Cycle Rally in Sturgis which is an oddity in itself. While in the Black Hills we have also visited the Cosmos where gravity appears to be skewed and we can watch water run uphill. And don't forget the Presidents' faces carved on Mount Rushmore with a very interesting film on how it was done.

The site of the Seattle Word's Fair housed the Jones' Fantastic Museum where you could spend hours looking at antique carnival oddities including the mummified "body" of Olaf the Giant gathered in an enormous collection. There's a Facebook page for this.

The Mutter Museum in Pennsylvania is still on my wish list. It's a collection of medical oddities. The Mayo clinic used to have a small but very interesting one but it has been archived. This included collections of items which had been removed from people's stomachs.

Baraboo, WI, home of the Ringling Brothers houses a Circus Museum and archives as does Sarasota, Florida.

In Florida I have also visited Gibsonton, off season home of sideshow royalty in years past.

Coral Castle near Homestead, Florida is an interesting visit.

Those are only a few of the many "can't miss" experiences I keep an eye out for when I'm traveling.

I'm that kid in the backseat pleading, "Can't we stop and see that?" Where others see "tourist trap" the child in me, tired of a world where every restaurant serves the same food and every motel room looks the same, is forever looking for the offbeat remembrances of days gone past.

(As a kid I once begged to stop at a run down gas station in Okoboji, IA on an annual trip to an amusement park The sign over the cage advertised "rattlers." Finally one year dad stopped. And I crept over to have a peek. There they were - a pink one and a blue one, just the right size to fit in baby's hand. Yes, Dad was politely buying gas for the privilege.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 10:50 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
The Museum of Jell-O in LeRoy, NY.

When I saw the illustration, my initial reaction was that the Jell-o Museum was in Hastings, NE. Then I realized that I was thinking of the Kool-Aid Museum.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:19 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,035 times
I'm a half days drive from the arctic circle. Not going and thats that.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:30 PM

18,720 posts, read 7,599,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I'm a half days drive from the arctic circle. Not going and thats that.
I was also half a days drive from the Arctic Circle. Half a day's drive NORTH of it. Thule Air Base, Greenland. (pronounced "tooley").

Actually I guess that was more like a full day's drive north of it. If there was a road going to it, which there isn't.

There is no truth to the rumor that on Dec. 24 at midnight, you can see Santa passing overhead southbound, in a miniature sleigh with eight tiny reindeer.

But our big radar system did see him coming down from the pole.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:59 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,378,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I really want to do a cross country drive east to west one day and stop in to a few of these kinds of places, before joining the old route 66 to finish off
Oatman AZ on route 66 is a fun place to stop. You can feed the wild burros that wander the streets.

Route 66 is the main drag in Williams AZ. You can take the train up to the Grand Canyon. The railroad was built in 1901.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:14 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Lol! I've actually been to or by several of these places. I think I've been to the West Bend Grotto three times. It was less impressive each time. The locals love it!

Here are a few other places I've been to:

The Roswell UFO museum
https://www.roswellufomuseum.com/

UFO themed McDonalds in Rosweel, NM

THe McDonalds that crosses abridge over the road.
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11683

The Big Texan in Amarillo
https://www.bigtexan.com/

Center of the Universe in Tulsa
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...tulsa-oklahoma

The only river that crosses itself
https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2...crosses-itself

Marfa lights
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfa_lights

Blue Whale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Whale_of_Catoosa

Old 04-15-2020, 04:16 PM

35 posts, read 20,377 times
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

I use this on road trips.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Oatman AZ on route 66 is a fun place to stop. You can feed the wild burros that wander the streets.

Route 66 is the main drag in Williams AZ. You can take the train up to the Grand Canyon. The railroad was built in 1901.
Visiting Oatman AZ was the highlight of my trip out west. Williams AZ was great, too.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:11 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,035 times
The 60 mile drive through the black hills is fun, thats where Geronimo hid.
Its like a lunar landscape, we found fossil clam shells sticking out of canyon walls, big as a car fender.
Get out of your car and walkabout.
I would not waste my time seeing wall drug, its a kitschy tourist trap mall. But some people love that.
Take a packhorse tour into the backcountry of Yellowstone, I liked that.
Lots of places to visit by car but get out of the car.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:24 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,605 times
Nobody so far has mentioned "THE THING?" roadside attraction in Arizona. After passing it a couple of times, we finally had to stop and see it. Yep, it's a thing. What The Thing? is.....well, that's up for discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel